Making my exhaust note more 'interesting'... is this a good idea? | FerrariChat

Making my exhaust note more 'interesting'... is this a good idea?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andy 308GTB, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    In an earlier thread, I described how the bolts holding my exhaust box to the rear manifold had fallen off. This resulted in air being sucked into the exhaust system and the production of multiple cracks and bangs on deceleration. It was quite ridiculous but great fun. Anyone with an ounce of sense would have declared that the exhaust was broken - and they would have been correct.

I have now 'fixed' the exhaust but I really miss the noise. Somewhere in between 'broken' and 'sensible' is where I would like to be.

I am thinking of getting a pair of exhaust donuts (they are only cheap) & drilling a hole in each one to allow some air in. I would glue a metal sleeve into the holes to ensure the donuts don't collapse. I'm also thinking that if I was clever I could devise a way to adjust the amount of air drawn in.

Opinions & suggestions gratefully received.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Proper exhaust flow is an important part of engine performance; I'd suggest getting an aftermarket unit that makes you happy, instead of drilling holes in various places.

3. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Thanks for your reply. Engine performance isn't the be all and end all for a middle aged man driving on public roads!
    To be honest I couldn't detect any difference between my 'broken/leaking' exhaust and my 'fixed' exhaust - in fact, the throttle response felt sharper when it was leaking.

A new exhaust system would be well in excess of £1000/US$1200 (and a p.i.t.a. to fit) - and if it was too noisy then I'm stuck with the thing, which has happened to many people who have taken that path.
    My donut idea is a very cheap and easily reversible (and possibly adjustable).

And another thing... how do these aftermarket boxes create cracks and bangs? I can't see how it is achieved without letting some air in.

Saabguy likes this.
  4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Rosey likes this.
  5. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    People use to love my exhaust when I had 30 year old plug wires that were cross firing resulting in blue flames out the pipes.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996