Corvette C8 over used 458??? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 over used 458???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wow, we must be looking at different cars. The C8 is way better looking than the C6 to me, and I'm 61.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Phil~, Shark01, IPO1 and 2 others like this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    c8 far superior appearance to dated c6.

Shark01, Boomhauer, BJK and 3 others like this.
  3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I’m clearly in the minority as the forums seem to love the C8. I can’t help but see a generic mid engine car that somehow already looks dated, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have read most if not all of the replies. If I end up repeating someone else's thoughts, I apologize.

First, until any of us have seen, heard, or driven the car our opinions be they good or bad are perhaps premature. This car could drive/perform better than we could have imagined/hoped(?) or it could be a great effort that falls flat. Let's assume steering, Tremec gearbox and suspension (that F-cars have been using a variant of I might add!) really comes together.

Then to say which is better really needs context. Yes the 458 has an "exotic" motor with 9K redline. Yes, the Ferrari has cachet. I adore my early morning blasts in my car. Obviously I love the car warts and all or I wouldn't still own it.

BUT, as I drive along in rush hour traffic - which I am in everyday - with 20-30 minutes of stop and go/crawling highway movement, along with avoiding tire remnants, ladders and various debris, my Ferrari motor would have been running ultra hot, idling for far too long with its effect on carbon buildup etc AND the A/C would have never cooled the car. Add to it the DCT gearbox in auto being tuned in a less than sporting nature -7th gear at 25 mph!! and you have a second rate experience. (For the record, in 6 years I have put my car in auto twice. Once to see if it worked. The second to see if it worked better in race. NEVER use it) Then there are the rock chips, door dings and everything else that makes some of the Ferrari experience a little frustrating and expensive. NET: in traffic, parking lots, and commuting to work, a little piece of quiet/ease of use is really nice!

At the end of the day, The Mayor - who I don't quote/agree with as validation of my opinion - has comments that are spot on: if this car is as good as its specs say it could be, it will be a great car.

I have been using as my DD for the past 15 years different variations of GTis or Golf R. The reason being you get everything you need from behind the wheel (save for cachet) vs cars costing many times as much. You must view the Corvette on its own merits as I do the VWs I have owned.

To truly evaluate something as better than something else, context of use AND cost must be in the equation.

Best

5. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    One of my favorite cars that I ever owned was a Jetta Carat that had a hand crank sunroof. It was an auto but very fun to drive regardless.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This, SO many times I see a car coming towards me from a distance, think it's a Ferrari, ends up being a C7 Corvette.....ugh

And agree about the Lamborgini.....never gets mistaken for anything else

MacDemarco and Coincid like this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    This says more about the observer than the object of observation. :rolleyes:

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    and me

9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I'm a huge fan of the C8, they just need to remove chrome wheels as an option. It would do numbers for its image.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree a bit dated since they borrowed from 458 etc.
    I feel same about the Mclaren GT.
    And every new 911...

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you were forced to drive across the country and had to be there I'm taking the vette.

Randyslovis and G. Pepper like this.
  12. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Be on the lookout for a blue 2020 C8 with slight damage on Copart. Youtubers with car channels will be lining up to get this back on the road.
    ooorrr, will insurance company grab it to analyze damage/cost to repair?

15. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    I’m sure you’re right but I was hoping to insinuate that C8 was suspect in corners. That road is a blast to drive!

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    What it says is Corvette designers are lazy and want to copy other cars....and from a distance it works.

MacDemarco likes this.
  17. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Even if someone is not a car enthusiast, it still dilutes the 'wow' factor when you see one because the streets has been flooded with look-a-like Ferrari's. Everything goes by word of mouth and the narrative is carried. That why from a curb side appeal, the Lamborghini gets more "wow" then Ferrari's even to non car enthusiast.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    And McLaren even more so but who cares what others think and whether or not they are impressed or wowed.

KC360 FL likes this.
  19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have only seen one other 458 in the Roaring Fork Valley and it was a white spider with red interior and had Florida plates.

See some Galifornias though.

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Corvettes never innovate. The technology is already there. They just package the tech better for cheaper and more reliability. 100+ hp/liter Ferrari motors...ok let’s just do bullit proof $8000 crate small blocks and get our horsepower with some extra cubes but blow Ferrari’s gas mileage out of the water with displacement on demand.

Craigy, italiafan and G. Pepper like this.
  21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure but does Chevy make a 8700 rpm NA V12? Popping the hood would be an embarrassment by comparison. You can see and hear where a lot of the money went. For the small motors still really prefer NA over gimics if they still exist. Unless its just tracking. Hell, strap rockets to it in the straights especially if really racing! :)

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    All car designs share basic elements depending on architecture. A front-mide engined car will have a long bonnet and cab-rear design. Moreover, modern safety standards dictate some other proportions. Thus, an uneducated person might mistake a Corvetter for a (front-mid) Ferrari, or vice versa. They could equally mistake a rear-mid Lamborghini for a Ferrari. All it shows is how much that person knows about cars. :)

BJK and KC360 FL like this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Same feeling here. I've always had a soft spot for the Vette, but this truly leaves me cold.

Interior looks like a nice place to be, but other than that, I think the magic and sillyness has gone.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  24. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Honestly the vette looks more like the Acura nsx than a Ferrari, I’m sure it will have its issues but at least those will be resolved in time vs ferrari time (not taking blame)

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree, somewhere in between an NSX and a 360.