308 Coolant Suggestions or Preferences | FerrariChat

308 Coolant Suggestions or Preferences

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertgarven, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I have been using dexcool in my 75 GT4 for 15+ years and change it every year and it comes out clear as a bell. My 74 GT4 had green yellow coolant and was just wondering with all the new formulas and varieties available, what may of you are using?

Thanks

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been using the BMW antifreeze non phosphorus for years with good results. It’s concentrated so I have to dilute it to 60% water and 40% antifreeze, except next time I might change it to 75% water and 25% antifreeze.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The older style of "green" coolants work well with the combination of aluminum engine and brass radiator and expansion tank. Most modern engines have aluminum radiators and plastic expansion tanks. I have been using the Merecedes coolant for years, but after doing research realized the old green style was the best for the multi metals in the car, but switching between chemistries is also apparently not a good idea even thought most are all deemed compatible, so I stuck with the Mercedes for about 14 years now. It was a light amber, they changed to be blue now. I believe it is the OAT or HOAT chemistry, and that apparently does not protect the copper brass metals as well as the old tradtional formula. The new formulas have longer change intervals, but are not "better" per se in keeping corrosion to a minimum which is the main purpose of the coolant.

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Prestone Green 50/50. Change it annually and works great.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Same here. Simple, easy, cheap, available in Alaska. I probably don't get to it "every" year.

6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Shell Rotella ELC -green
    Replace every 4 years

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The green stuff, 50/50 mix. Change it 12-24 months and you are fine.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am unfamiliar with coolant chemistry but am surprised that color is an indicator of composition. I guess I therefore need to say I use "blue" coolant (I use BMW coolant which I believe is made by Pentosin).

As I understand it, BMW had a problem with aluminum sulfites caused by casting very narrow water passages in some of their engine blocks. They began selling a BMW branded coolant with a formula which minimized sulfite deposits. … this is from memory; I might be making this all up.

I can say with confidence that I drain only about half of the coolant each year from the system via the lower front heater hose. I never open the drain on the engine block. I do so because I never have problems with bleeding air when I do it this way. It may be just superstition. Because I drain only about half, I change that half every year.

miketuason likes this.