What happens when a Ferrari 360 gets hot??? | FerrariChat

What happens when a Ferrari 360 gets hot???

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ryem3, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryem3

Ryem3 Rookie

Jan 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Conrad Meyer
    Many are probably already familiar with this issue, but I thought members here might be interested in my latest update of "What's going on in the Garage"! Please like and subscribe!

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    That guy was so boring that my kids fell asleep during the video.

andre_romero and RANDY6005 like this.
  3. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I have never heard of melted tail lights on a 360. Now I'm thinking I have to go take a closer look at mine

4. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Snoring.... Not engine heat and a challenge grill would not prevent this damage. Based on the quad reverse lights, i’m thinking wrong tail light bulbs caused the melted lenses. Otherwise the paint, the rear body panel, and the housing inside would be melted before the lens.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I disagree with his assessment.

6. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Not caused by engine heat, the car would be toast if engine heat was causing those lenses to fail. It's caused by incorrect bulb placement (too high wattage) combined with a design flaw where the bulb is located too close to the lens. Leave the car in reverse too long or sit on the brake pedal and those enclosures can soften. Incandescent bulbs punch out a lot of heat.

brookliner7 likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I was losing the will to live myself watching that

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Hook up one of them crappy globes to a battery with couple wires bush mechanic style for 10 seconds see how hot it gets. Led globes is the way to go.

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Can you install LED bulbs without effecting the flasher unit? Would you need to go with an electronic unit? I haven't looked but does the 360 already have an electronic flasher unit?

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yet another YouTube channel being promoted by a guy that has never contributed anything to the site. Over it.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I didn't watch the video but based on your comments I know what he said. And for the record, there is some history of taillights bulging out from heat. Instead of flat, they bulge out; I am not aware of any outright failures. And yes it can be caused by engine heat, even with the correct bulbs. Having said all of that, I never had that issue and didn't find it to be a problem.

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The LED bulbs will cause hyper-flashing. The 360 already has an electronic unit. I have LED bulbs, but to make it work with the Ferrari electronic unit, I have to replace the shunt inside the flasher unit with a 6 ohm 50W resistor.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I replaced my backup lights with LED bulbs with built-in resistors. No problem since.

Skidkid likes this.
  14. BobBB

BobBB Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Berger
    I installed an LED lighting upgrade from ScuD Ing Swiss.
    Couldn’t be more pleased. Fairly simple harness install and flasher replacement. Lights stay cool and MUCH brighter. Also available kit to activate all 4 rear red lights and amber center turn signals. 3rd brake light also available separately. In total was about $1,200 plus duty. High quality product. Meticulously packaged.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Can you tell me what bulbs they are?
    Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
  17. Ryem3

Ryem3 Rookie

Jan 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Conrad Meyer
    Yep, apparently it's a 360 issue. Wow, lots of hate for contributing something to this forum. You might find my F50 video more entertaining. For those that are really falling asleep with a 4 minute video, I'll keep it shorter next time.
    The lenses bulge out because they are very well sealed. Heat causes the air pressure inside the lenses to rise and hence the lenses can bulge.
    For those that think it would be the bulbs, how long would you have the brake lights on? Bulbs couldn't possible cause this. Running lights have much less wattage and won't produce much heat.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  18. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I had the lenses melt on the red door lights that are on the end of the when opened. It was due to an extended time during my servicing and playing with the car when I first purchased. I have since replaced the lens/socket and installed LED’s. I purchased some LED’s for the rear tail lights and found what I expected before hand. The lights caused a too quick blink rate so I gave up on the tail lights. Really didn’t want to change the blinker relay. Incandescent are fine in most cases.

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Consider that the video title implies '360 tail light issue', but the first 2 minutes (and literally 60% of the video) is giving a tour of every other car in the parking lot/garage. Beyond that - It's just a matter of a 3 min video, compared to the actual 20-ish second message which was simply "This happens, some people buy a challenge grill."

And it's not hate... it's more of Fchat having more and more members getting on the YouTube train lately, many with click-bait titles begging for attention. You'll get a lot more support from people if your vids are concise, of real value, and have content was worth featuring via video.

I'm 360 Canuck and RedNeck like this.