Switzerland | A week in September | FerrariChat

Switzerland | A week in September

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Qksilver, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey Gang,

May find myself in Switzerland with my fiancee for a week in September. Flying in and out of Zurich. Are there any experts who can advise on where to stay in the country at this time and what the top destinations would be for a couple of young tourists (hikes are good!)? :)

Thanks,
    Joe

2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Take the cog-wheel train to the summit of the Jungfrau...a unique experience.

Alan
    N.J.

Qksilver likes this.
  3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Stay a few nights in Interlaken. Use that as a home base to explore Jungfraujoch and Lauterbrunnen. Here’s a tip: take the cogwheel to the top. When you depart, also take it down a few stops, then get off and hike the rest of the way down. The scenery is breathtaking.

4. Jaybird

Jaybird Karting

Jul 7, 2011
    Southeast Iowa
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I've flown into Zurich and went to Lauterbrunnen twice now. Once i rented a car and one time we got the train pass. The rail system is very efficent compared to the US and you can see quite a bit. I like staying In Murren which is above Lauterbrunnen. I would definitely check it out.

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen; incline (cog) railway up to Grüschlap. Train to Mürren, then the cable car to Birg and then on to the Piz Gloria, the round restaurant on top of the Schilthorn made famous in 007's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

ypsilon and Jaybird like this.
  6. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Hello Joe,
    Switzerland is a wonderful country! The country is incredibly clean and absolutely beautiful. There are many locations in the country that are great for hiking. Please know that in September the mountain weather can be somewhat temperamental from day to day. For transportation I suggest that you buy a rail pass outside the Zurich airport for the length of time you will be there. The rail pass covers rail and some trams etc.

Where to go is the question. If you don't want to travel far from Zurich then consider Lucerne. It is an old and very lovely city on a beautiful lake. Also, close by is Mount Pilatus where you can both visit and stay overnight. The views from atop of Mount Pilatus are gorgeous. It is most peaceful and quiet at night when the tourist have descended the Mount. The hotel accommodation is really very nice and the food is good.

If you don't mind going a bit further, then please consider the Lauterbrunnen Valley area for views I doubt you shall ever forget. There are lots of trails to hike from easy to more difficult. You can hotel in either Lauterbrunnen or either side of the valley in the mountain villages of Murren or Wengen. Both Murren or Wengen are car-less villages and quite lovely. You can train up to Wengen or Cable car up to the train to take you into Murren. When you hike you can hike the valley and both sides of the valley in the mountains. There is much to see and beautiful hikes. If you should visit this area I strongly suggest that you stay in one of the mountain villages for the quiet and stunning views.

Lastly I would recommend Zermatt. It is really a lovely town and of course there's that imposing Matterhorn. However, Zermatt may be a bit more of a distance than you may want to travel with a weeks time to visit.

My choice would be either Murren or Wengen for wonderful views and good food. It's absolutely beautiful!

Do consider the rail system it's clean and prompt.

If I can be of help please let me know.

Happy travel!

greg328 likes this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if you can avoid it, dont drive.
    if you cannot avoid it, do not, under any circumstances, break the speed limit.

8. SamDaMan

SamDaMan Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sam DaMan
    Rent a fast car from Sixt. Drive Susten, Furka, Grimsel, Gotthard. Life changing. And can be done within a day if you plan it correctly. Life. Changing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Zurich is awesome, so a few days there for sure.

After that, there are so many places its impossible to get a consensus.

But, I'll throw my favorite hiking place out there...Zermatt. The hiking there is fantastic and often can be arranged to include a superb meal along the way. Can be all up hill, up and down, or only downhill by taking a combo of trains, gondolas, chairs, etc.

Amazing place. I've taken the train from Zurich almost everytime I've been there, and its not a bad ride (my friends that I visit have a home in Zurich and Zermatt, so we go to both each time I see them).

10. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    To add to my post above...

11. Jaybird

Jaybird Karting

Jul 7, 2011
    Southeast Iowa
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I can personally vouch for that. Lol. Germany and Austria it seems you can run whatever you dare but Switzerland has cameras inside the mountain tunnels and more cops .

12. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    By all means have a real Raclette:

[​IMG]

Go beyond Fondue!

13. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior