Mondial 3.2 Fuel Tank Leak | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Fuel Tank Leak

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cianfichi, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hello and thanks ahead for all of you that take the time to help a first Ferrari owner like me with sorting out the issues...

So my mech discovered that someone in the past decided to "mend" a broken fuel return line going into the top of the Pass Side fuel tank with... epoxy and putty.. yup. Looks like the "bung" or "nipple" had cracked or broke and that's how they decided to repair it.

It's leaking under pressure now.

So the question is can us Mondial owners (mines a eurospec to boot) remove the fuel tanks without engine out? A new nipple needs to be welded onto the top of the tank. It's possible to do this with the tank in the car but precautions must be made. But better yet if the tank can be removed without engine out.. Worst case is having to remove the engine. Thanks ahead for your inputs.

Vince
    1986 Mondial 3.2 eurospec

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have an idea you have to let the forward exhaust off and tilt the engine to the rear to get to the tanks. I saw a tv program where they had to do this on a 308 gt4 to replace the front exhaust manifold, so it might be the same here.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Mike I'm trying to imagine the engine being tilted.. This engine is very different from the 308GT4 I think.

5. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Wade this seems like a pretty big job, but not as bad as dropping the engine out. We want to replace my coolant anyhow (can fix the tank and replace coolant the same job), but my mech might not be able to do this work until things slow down in the fall/winter. I wonder if I can do a quick fix for a few weeks then do the job the right way over winter break?

Keep in mind I have a eurospec, so I only have one "nipple" coming out the top of the fuel tank, theres less hoses, etc. less emissions equip.

Can't believe people use epoxy to fix this kind of stuff. Yikes!
    Vince

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can actually get an adhesive especially to fix fuel tanks. Problem is it tends to be permanent after a while.
    The gt4 engine is still across the engine bay like the mondial so it might work. Just depends how wide the tank is. Will be interesting to see how u get on

7. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    "broken fuel return line" ... sounds like that could be a "blast" :eek::D

Yikes! I hope you can get it fixed simply (and safely).

8. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Best way is to remove the nipple, reweld a new one on, and reattach hose. oh yeah it will be just FUN! I have a three week wait for the mechanic right now.. ugh!