F430 Ball Joint Rubbers | FerrariChat

F430 Ball Joint Rubbers

Discussion in '360/430' started by phil the brit, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    I have just had my F430 serviced by Ferrari dealership in UK and they highlighted that two lower ball joint rubbers had splits in them. Ball joints are fine but rubbers not.
    The charge for replacing these would be £345.46 PER RUBBER. Now that seems a little excessive.
    Can this be a DIY job and does anyone know of a step by step guide to follow? Alternatively could I give this job to an ordinary garage to do or is Ferrari dealership expertise essential.
    I am only changing rubbers, not the ball joints themselves.
    Thanks
    Phil

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That number doesn't sound right for simply the labor + new rubber boot. I'd verify with the dealer before pulling the fire alarm. The job can be done in situ, and there are two boots per ball-joint. The expense of Hysol is spread among all the ball joints too

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can remove the arm with the ball joint in place- then just change the rubbers without removing the ball joint from the arm. Each rubber is about £18 each from superperformance or hill engineering. Send me an e mail address and i will talk you through it if u give me a ring.

4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The stock ball joints are such a bad design (chrome over mild steel) that if you are doing the labor to remove the control arms, I would go ahead and swap out the joints for Hill replacements (stainless), boots, and never look back. You may even get away with doing just uppers, or lowers, or all fronts only. But this would be around a grand for the parts and hysol as opposed to just $80 for boots.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They charge £400 in labour for one in uk, plus parts

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I would just wait until the joints wear out (which they will regardless of if the boots are torn or not), and start clunking over bumps. Then replace the boots and joints with good Hill Engineering parts. The labor to access the everything is the same, with the exception of pressing the old joints out. I use a bushing press tool to remove the old joint that doesn't require removal of the control arm from the car, so the additional labor is not very much.

f355spider and John_K_348 like this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its fine if u have a lift but i did mine on a floor jack so you have to remove the arm.

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good info. I would remove the arms anyway as mine need new bushings too.

9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I recently did a PPI on a scud, they found play in the front lower control arms. The ferrari master tech who worked in the dealer for 25 years (now an indy) says it's better to replace the whole arm with factory part ($1300USD per arm) as it's tricky to swap out the Hill engineering ball joints with more labor (he mentioned special tools needed plus you need to bake the rubber in the oven etc.). I am wondering what's the consensus on this common issue.
    Did anyone tackle this repair with just the ball joints and are satisfied with the results?

10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The experience of others may vary but I changed the front lower ball joints on my car for the first time this year and from start to finish I took just over one hour for both sides. It's childs play.

John_K_348 likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The tech who is telling you to spend that sort of money on a simple ball joint change is having you on. The extractor from hill engineering is about $70 or you can make one up.
    The upper ball joints are easier than the lowers but its not rocket science.
    In ref to putting in the oven to cure the adhesive, easy enough as only low temp for about 40 mins.
    As long as you have the right tools and a bit of common sense it is fairly simple. I saved about $900 doing my front lower ones. I previously did all 4 upper ball joints.
    Be sure to fit hill engineering bits and not ferrari

John_K_348 and kiryu like this.
  12. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    very informative, thanks for sharing

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If u decide to do this yourself i can e mail u a bit of a guide as how to go about it. Also look on e bay for a CD copy of the workshop manual, it shows all the bits and torque settings etc.
    will probably come by mail from Italy and very cheap.

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    guess what, I asked my local ferrari dealer, they want almost $8000 in parts for control arms and $1600 in labor, or $3000 in bushings and $2500 in labor to replace all of them hahaha. WOW...

15. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Thank you!! that would be great appreciate it very much. If i am not confident in doing it myself, at least I know the ballparks of what's needed and how to do it and pass it onto the indy

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Leave it with me as will take an hour or 2 to get it right. Order the cd via e bay , about 20 to 30$ by post

kiryu likes this.
  17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    E mail address please to send this info

kiryu likes this.
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have written up a set of instructions if u want a copy

kiryu likes this.
  19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I did my ball joints the first year I got my car. It’s nothing. As long as the control arms aren’t all wallered out there is absolutely no reason to replace them.

20. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Good mechanics can still actually fix things. The new breed are just part replacers.

Your starter might need a $100 starter solenoid, nah, just replace the 2K starter. You need a $50 voltage regulator in your alternator, nah, just replace that $1800 alternator. Your ball joints are a good example.

John_K_348 likes this.