Correct 14 inch wheel for year? | FerrariChat

Correct 14 inch wheel for year?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jersey308gtb, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    I had a look on 308-328.com but couldn’t see an answer..

Could my 1980 euro GTB number 29973 have had either Cromodora or Campaglio wheels at this stage of production?

The car has 16in Speedlines and i’m putting them back to original.

Thanks for any insight

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Either Cromodora or Campagnolo would be correct for your car. If you are very particular the backside of the wheels will have a production year cast into them so it is possible to get a matched set showing '80' on the spoke.

3. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Brilliant thank you, good news.

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think you could have cast dates from same year or earlier years...month is cast into the Cromos for sure, so it would need to before your car's date...

5. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    If you don’t have your order sheet or delivery invoice, there is no other way to be sure that your car have the 6 1/2 or the 7 1/2 wide 14 wheel option unfortunately.
    There are periods where you have more Campagnolo or Cromodora.
    I have to look at data when returning home but what I can say today is that Euro model from your period should have Cromodora if 6 1/2 and either Cromodora-Campagnolo-Speeline for 71/2... ( there is a low percentage of Speedline wheel but very hard to determine)
    I will be more precise in a week.

As other answers says, if you want period correct wheel, you should take close attention to the stamp date inside. I have no data about how many month before your production date chassis you should look at. I’m collecting the steering wheel date stamp but not the wheel. It is too disturbing for any owner to take off one wheel to check :)
    If the factory had similar stock for wheel as steering (which is highly unsure) it should be between 6 and 2 month before...
    Hope this helps

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Presumably, given that we are talking about Ferrari, there's no way to tell if a wheel is original so long as the wheel date is before the car's date...right?

7. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Thank you for that. Luckily I do have the order sheet and it came with the 7.5 inch ‘wide’ wheels, but obviously didn’t say which maker. I have found a set of 7.5inch Cromo’s, they need refurbishing but that doesn’t bother me as I can get them done properly.

I now have a spare set of 16in Speedlines!

Thanks again for the insight.

8. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    it is reasonable to think that wheels are original if their stamped date is between 8 and 2 months before the date of production of the chassis. Beyond a year before, it's more unlikely but never say never with Ferrari.
    without being 100% on, the wheels can be correct period, which is enough to have certification.

What is the stamped on both set ? (Cromodora &Speelîne)

Hannibal308 likes this.
  9. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
  10. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    jersey308gtb,
    I'm back home and regarding my file, around 29973, there is only Cromodora 7"1/2.
    Ferrari seems to stop offer Campagnolo beginning of 1979, when I compare the data I have no more Campagnolo after the 1st quarter 79, I only have Speedline and Cromodora.

If I may, I have two questions about this car that has nothing to do with the subject, I apologise but could I know how are engraved different VIN?
    Indeed, the UK market is the first to receive the 17 figures and I'm struggling to date this appearance.
    The VIN on the chassis of the engine bay is it 17 digits?
    The VIN of the plate of the motor chassis (next to the engraving of the chassis) is it 17 digits?
    Is the VIN from the steering column too or does it have the only 5 digits?

Then, did this car have the Momo GT4 steering wheel with the center of the angular arches? What is its date of manufacture (behind the arch of the bottom, towards the ground).

Thank you very much, it will allow me to answer more specifically on these other topics in the future.

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Took me ~30 seconds to lift the bonnet & peer at the spare's date stamp ;)

TripleBlack likes this.
  12. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Yes, because you have a normal spare tire, lucky you are. For Euro Model, it doesn't make sense with the thin one :)

vaccarella likes this.
  13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    are you sure that your 1980 car has been delivered with 14"? Usually they all had the TRX wheels in 1980. Here in Italy it was a mandatory option and you could just choose between them and the 16".

ciao

14. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    In Europe, the 14" became in 1980, a delete option and stayed even for the injected 2v with 6"1/2 and 7"1/2 choice.
    In US, the 14" 7"1/2 was standard on 1980 and then optional in 81 with the TRX.

15. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
  16. jersey308gtb

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Hi J-P

Sorry for the slow reply.

I will answer all your questions above...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal