New to Ferrari and need advice UK | FerrariChat

New to Ferrari and need advice UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by takeflight, May 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. takeflight

takeflight Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roy foster
    Hi guys we are into air-cooled porsches, and think we sort of understand that market. That said my wife and I love the look of the F430 and 458 and know nothing, so browsing and hours of youtube, with our budget which do you think will be more sought after in a few years ?

F430 manual, F430 F1 or the 458

The F430 manual have asking prices considerably higher than the F1 and there are a lot fewer around, however to the younger guys are they into flappy paddles ? hence the 458 with the dual clutch maybe a better long term bet.

I am an old man with a younger petrol head wife :), she goes for manuals, were as I lean towards F1.

Can only afford one, so get your crystal balls out and let me know what you think.

Cheers Roy

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome: they will all depreciate

My sense is the F1 least because the manual is in a bit of a bubble and the 458 has further to fall since its newer but will soon be really old tech

As in so many thread queries here there is such a difference in tech you need to drive both

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Hi and welcome!!

If your buying to make money... good luck to you...lottery tickets available at most outlets!!!!

Buy what you like; drive them as they will be very different.

My guess, 458s might yet fall, but they are the last normally aspirated so maybe not as much as we might expect. They are now close to 488 money!?. Last manual will be special and will always command a premium over an F1.

Don’t forget the 430 is now 10-15 years old so less in main dealers.

At the moment the market is cool; and there are a lot of sellers having bought at the peak who think they should be making money as others have by buying before the peak a few years ago. Hence some very overly optimistic prices.

But from what you said...happy wife...happy life!!!!

Good luck.

(Also worth popping onto club Scuderia.co.uk, lots of friendly people with the cars you are talking about)

4. takeflight

takeflight Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roy foster
    Thanks, no it’s not about making money, would be nice but never have done, so don’t expect to. But it would be nice to have a bit of fun for a few years and maybe get close to what we paid for car, best not talk about servicing, upgrades etc, that’s the cost of the hobby.

We work and have worked 24/7 so I try not to make to many large errors when it comes to hobby cars, the first one we bought could have been a mega loss but thanks to a bit of a heavy discussion the dealer who then seen the error of his ways and refunded the full amount. Also being a Brummie we do like value for our pound.

All being well paying a trip to a dealer tomorrow to have a nose.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would wait until Uk crashes out of Brexit with no deal ...then cash will really be king.

Your petrol head missus has it right.

6. takeflight

takeflight Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roy foster
    With our lot I probably will be dead before anything happens, I am at an age now that getting into low cars isn’t an issue but getting out is not pretty, and it’s only going to get worse. Michelle is not for waiting around, she’s still working hard, while I have slowed down and spend far to long on YouTube etc I can talk myself out of things, now for instance I was watching the differences between the pre 2007 and post 2007 F430, so now I am thinking I should be looking for a post 2007, the one we are going to see is a 2006 !
    Think I will go back to bed.

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Easy to overthink these things!

Personally don’t know the difference between an 06 to 07 430.

Hope the dealer visit was informative!

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Wait until next year when i sell my 08 f1 430

9. takeflight

takeflight Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roy foster
    Thanks all, sorry been on missing list, been dealing with life.

we are now onto a 360, am I right in thinking this is more old school, re technology?

Came to conclusion being old, but not to old then the 360 fits that bill, apart from that we just love rhe look of them.

Also any recommendations for Indy’s in Warwickshire, West Midlands, Oxfordshire.

10. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would say go with the 458 and ideally a spider if budget permits. I have had a spider since October 2017 as my first ferrari and have just traded it for another lower millage 458 spider with more options. They are great cars, very reliable and the prices have just softened recently, there are lots of cars on the market and you can negotiate hard as there is so much choice. There is now the option to upgrade the dated infotainment system, I have taken my car in for this and should have it back in a week or two so will then be able to comment on the upgrade.

I sold the previous one to a dealer so got the rock bottom price for it and lost £24k since October 2017 which, I think is very good going given I traded the car, if it was on SOR I would be down less then £20k

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I do not think the 360 is the right move, maintenance is way more expensive and its old tech, 458 is when they finally got the reliability right
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Not many options spring to mind other than Damax in Brackley

Useful 360 buyers guides both here in the 360 section and on Pistonheads in UK

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    #13 A348W, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    360, read Aldious’s buying guide.https://aldousvoice.com/

Personally I think these are a bargain at the moment; especially the manuals. A great first Ferrari at a price I doubt you will loose much on if anything. (You won’t be loosing £20k that’s for sure).

As to indies, Migliour, Bob Houghtons, Dick Lovett (they do rates for older cars and have 360 service prices on their website). are all in striking distance, also Keys at Silverstone. I’m sure there are a few more towards London way.

Get yourself on clubscuderia.co.uk forum. There have/is a couple of 360s for sale recently, and it’s a UK centric forum do loads of knowledge.

Good luck!

14. takeflight

takeflight Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roy foster
    Thanks guys will look into above suggestions, not knowing much but learning. While I understand the 458 is an evolved great looking machine, the 360 manual appears on paper to meet my requirements. It wouldn’t be a daily driver, so maintainence does not over worry me and I quite enjoy getting hands on and Not to many electronics to confuse the hell out of me.

15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have a manual 360 and am not disappointed. No real scary unexpected bills but with any Ferrari there will be times you have to get your wallet and maybe the missus purse out together :p
    Depending on the 458 (oldest are 10) you buy I'm sure they will be coming into the same category as a 360 regarding maintenance and repairs.