Camshaft Seals | FerrariChat

Camshaft Seals

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mike Florio, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    After an engine-out top end refresh - replace sodium exhaust valves, all gaskets and seals, new hoses, etc.
    Documented here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/observations-on-a-gt4-engine-pull.458208/
    My sons and I finally started the 308GT4 this past weekend.

Started instantly on the first click of the starter with an eyeball tuneup:

No leaks anywhere, fuel, coolant, vacuum, except for a small leak at the rear bank exhaust cam seal (where the air pump pulley goes).

Upon close examination the cause of the leak was immediately apparent: The valve cover gasket was a little too big and distorted the seal. Look at the 10:00 o'clock and 4:00 o'clock positions on this photo - the gasket is green. The distortion is most pronounced at the 10:00 o'clock position.

[​IMG]
    The gasket pushed the outside of the seal in, made it oblong, and opened up a gap on the inside where the oil leaked out. The seal popped right off and you can see where the gasket is in the seating surface a couple of mm.
    [​IMG]

The seal itself is fine, all I have to do is trim that gasket and tap it back in and it should be OK, but I ordered a couple of new ones anyway. It's a pretty standard 56 x 40 x 7 mm seal. Available here for $3.75 each:
    http://www.oringsandmore.com/oil-shaft-seal-40-x-56-x-7mm-double-lip-price-for-1-pc/

The point I'm making is that if any of your camshaft seals are leaking check the gasket where the cam cover attaches to the head. Unless that gasket is trimmed carefully it might be the source of your problem.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Milkshaker0007, absostone and thorn like this.
  2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I trim the ends as well, to be flush with the outer edge where the caps go.

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It's a common mistake. A dab of sealant where the seal and gasket meets also helps. Good luck.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You trim that gasket so that it fits the seal.... before you install the seal. Bet you won't make that mistake next time.

27811 and ferrariowner like this.
  5. colinoz

colinoz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2010
    Raymond Terrace, Aus
    Full Name:
    Col Goldie
    Those seals are also available in Viton, for high temperatures. They are red(ish).