458 or 488 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you own a 488 in the UK, i wish you the best of luck in trying to sell it. Showrooms are full of them with less than 2000 miles, some under 500. Prices are starting to fall and will be near 458s shortly. I think over 120 for sale at present.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Wow, that’s a lot of flipping going around. Also noticed that there are marginally more 488s for sale in Europe than 458s, according to the renowned european website AutoScout24: 377 vs 362 as of today.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    And wait until the F8 comes out....

4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think the F8 will kill both 458 and 488 values as it just looks so much better and fresher. But who knows, if sound is the only "value-determing" factor (which I very much doubt though) then only 488 will drop I guess, but for me as a 458 owner I don't understand --> I find the 488 sounding great especially for being turbocharged, and the driving dynamics of the 488 blows the 458 away by miles, it is such a huge difference, especially when pushing it hard you can do it with a lot more confidence, and it looks much much better / aggressive than the 458 which imo looks a bit tame / "feminine"

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ash,

Please allow me to start by saying that you’ve made very interesting and very articulate points.

Personally, I agree with one and disagree with another.

Where I totally agree with you:

IMVHO, the 488 is the best sounding turbocharged car I’ve ever came across.

Where I disagree:

That the driving dynamics of the 488 blows away the 458. The 488 is incredibly more powerful and (to me) more importantly, has a huge increase in torque. Bluntly: it is much faster. Period.

In terms of dynamics, I’m not saying it might not be an improvement, but I feel the car holds to the road equally as great, the chassis is equally fantastic, but I don’t sense that much of difference in everyday driving on public roads between the 488 and the 458 if one excludes power and torque, the main selling point of the 488.

Ferrari has a great marketing department. An example:

They claim the 488 stops 9% quicker than the 458 and some time ago a member of our forum posted a Ferrari document in which they claim the 488 gearbox shifts quicker than the 458. It takes half the time to shift.

In both cases, I dare say 99.9% of owners won’t feel the difference. Behind the wheel of the 488, most Ferrari marketing claims except power and torque felt like splitting hairs to me.

Now, they’ve launched the Pista and a short time afterwards, the F8 with *the exact same* engine as the Pista. Again, I venture saying that a lot of marketing claims will be made, and sure enough the F8 will be an improvement, just not very palpable (if at all), not to mention the huge increase in price to account for a lot of marketing claims and stunts that simply aren’t tangible and that most don’t experience behind the wheel.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Chizz and Ash Patel like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I was told by a Ferrari rep earlier in the year, that they did not expect the F8 to have a noticeably different effect on 488 prices compared to other models.

What he said was, that the number of 488's sitting for sale now, is consistent with the "early birds" who basically traded their 488's in for F8 cars right away. What he then said, was that in the nearest future, there won't appear a second lot of 488's for sale.

So what he's basically saying is, that the F8 has already affected the market as much as it's going to, because most of those who would trade their 488 for an F8, has already done so.

I asked the local dealer about this, and he confirmed that it all pretty much went as expected and the majority of those who was expected to trade up, did so early on.

Sounds plausible to me, as many 488 owners seem to think the difference between the 488 and F8 might not warrant being in a hurry to swap.

I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of people don't really know what the F8 is supposed to be. Is it a 488 "evo", or is it a new car? Is it more like the Pista or more like the 488. I will be 100% honest and say that I'm in the same position. I don't know what it is supposed to be.
    Some have said all new car, others have said 488"evo". What is interesting is the fact that those I've asked, are not "laymen", but rather Ferrari professionals of one persuasion or another. Makes me wonder if Ferrari even knows what this car is supposed to be:)

So I think this somehow points in the direction where it is a bit difficult to say how much the F8 will affect the 488, because it seems like a bit of a puzzle to figure out where the F8 fits in.

Just some late night thoughts:)

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @of2worlds gave me this insight, and I think he is right. I think the F8 is literally a tribute car- just as it says in the name- a last hurrah for the V8 in this level of car. Its meant for those owners who wanted to have a 710hp V8 Ferrari but could not get a Pista, or those new to the brand who would like to have the latest and greatest. I think its meant as something that will make sense to the more traditional clients. As contrasted by the SF90, which points the way forward. I think there is a reason they have shown both cars so close together. One appeals to those who look more to the past or current times, the other is for those who want to relentlessly get to the future.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would have thought anyone who was considering buying a 'used' 488 could be looking sideways at the F8 with some interest.

10. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Just finished reading all 31 pages, lots of good discussion points being brought up throughout the entire thread, just figured I’d put my 2 cents in.

The poll is subjective to each owner, what’s right or wrong is irrelevant. It’s arguing opinions, the only facts are the data specific to each model and whether or not that’s better is in the eye of the beholder.

If this was a thread about the better track car I’m sure we would argue case and point but the data would be clear. I try to keep an open mind regardless of which car I own, I tend to find the person who sits in the middle and open listens to all points without being defensive to be the most level headed because they have an open mind.

If you think the 458 is better because of the cost differential then you are right, if the 488 is better because it has more hp, then you are right too but it’s still your opinion

Viperjoe, paulchua, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  11. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yes the 458 is beautiful not aggressive. I’m liking more and more the idea of an F8 spider....

Melvok and Ash Patel like this.
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  13. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    458. The 488 just wasn’t as much a leap forward as I was expecting. The power and speed clearly out does the 458. I test drove a GTB and a Spider, and I got out of the cars feeling...hmm... I actually bought a 720S instead to fill the need. I still get excited driving my 458. I also get excited by the 720S, it looks exotic, it’s crazy fast and dynamically capable. I’m waiting until Ferrari comes out with something that moves the super car game to the next level.The 458 was that when it came out, Mclaren did it with the 720. Im waiting for Ferrari to do it again.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Exactly.

xfrgtr and IloveGT like this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    My thoughts exactly.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

xfrgtr likes this.
  16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Interesting comments in this thread. I can’t say my 458 is better than a 488 because I have never driven a 488. But since buying my 458 I have never had the desire to buy a 488. I don’t really think I will ever sell this car it is that awesome. I could see myself adding a 720S or Lambo to the garage but I will never sell the 458. I actually like the looks of the F8 and think it looks way better than the SF90.

Just my .02 cents, I am sure the 488 is a fantastic car, I would love to drive one.

17. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    I voted 458 for the frequent reasons mentioned (visual and auditory aesthetics mostly), but the 488 is still close enough that i would be happy with it as well. I will be shopping for a 458/488 next year, and the irony is that i may end up going with a 488 because appropriately spec'd 458s to fit my needs are hard to find. I actually have not seen the ideal 458 while a perfect 488 is currently for sale. The 488 market seems to have so much more choice right now and i think the prices will drop more as people move to the f8 while i dont see as much an effect if any for the 458.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Why don't you buy a 488? You hate your car, obviously.

19. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not at all hating my car just find the 488 to be better in all measurable areas when I compared how they drive and imo how it looks (which is off course subjective I know)

Viperjoe likes this.
  20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Same here but went to Lambo instead. I was beyond thrilled when I got my 458 spider allocation. Got offered the 488 spider a couple times and it didnt excite me the same way.

720 definitely moved the supercar needle.

ducatir8cer and tekaefixe like this.
  21. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    What lambs did you go with?

22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Had a 610-4 and now a 580-2. Prefer the rwd driving dynamics.

Coincid and Ash Patel like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    After test driving the 610-4 , the driving dynamics were excessively compliant, comfortable and refined. In other words, not engaging, or compelling. No interest in owing it. The 580 with passive suspension changed my mind. Stop gap purchase until I experienced the Performante.

ryalex likes this.
  24. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    exactly what I felt with the 610-4

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #325 Shadowfax, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Sorry to say this but you got this one wrong LVP. Having owned 488 you need to throw Pista's prestige clean out the window here because in reality it is significantly better to drive than a 488 in every way, and I mean by a quite a large amount....and I haven't even exploited its limits yet whereas I have with 488. No disrespect to 488 as it's truly a great car, but I also suspect it will be much the same case with F8 regardless of the additional power, because as a drivers car the Pista is clearly in a different league.