360 - Panic attack in my Modena this morning | FerrariChat

360 Panic attack in my Modena this morning

Discussion in '360/430' started by 67bmer, Aug 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I took the modena out for its annual summer drive this morning. I ended up shortening it to a little under 25 miles when I saw the odometer and panicked! I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get back home before it rolled over 40,000 miles. And then a mere block from home, it happened. It rolled over to 39,000 miles. It was only then I realized I was all panicked for nothing!! I still have a 1,000 miles left...

Thoughts running through my head and disrupting my drive:
    #1 would it still run at 40,000?
    #2 should I retire it?
    #3 would anyone ever want or care about this car? Could I even sell it if I had to?
    #4 do I ever have to worry about another belt change?
    #5 how much clutch life do I have left at this point, it's gated, there is no wear gage?

I now realize I have another decade of worry-free driving...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

billy.gif, brookliner7 and Skippr1999 like this.
  2. FlatRed

FlatRed Rookie

May 10, 2009
    Haha! Love it!
    I do want and care about that car. Not everyone is looking for low mileage ones to brag about Ferrari ownership but actually wants to drive it.
    Not afraid of high mileage as long it was well taken care of.

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Experienced the same panic but then shrugged my shoulders and kept driving.
    Keep it clicking away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Getting there myself. Took it up and down Highway 1 this week for a good 500+ miles. Just crossed 36k :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dewinator and Manda racing like this.
  5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I willfully give up $2500 a year in value. I figure you can't drive anything without sacrificing resale-- and certainly nothing that even comes close to a Ferrari and the Ferrari experience.

And of course that's only an issue if you have any ideas about resale. :D

killer58 likes this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd flatbed it everywhere.. you know, just to save the miles. 66k+ on mine. Never misses a beat. :)

tonyc, dm_n_stuff, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Learn how to drive backwards. You’ll still be cooler than most cars on the road. Do that for a few years and you’ll be all set.

... wait didn’t Ferris already try that?

Funny when I was 18 I drove my $60 1963 bel air in reverse all the way to my buddy’s house 2 miles away. The looks I got were priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ready to turn 43k miles on my 430 spider 6-speed. The more miles I put on the less my heirs will get for it. I purchased new in 2007 and will never sell it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bupilot likes this.
  9. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    42K miles on my 99 eurp spec...I enjoy every one I put on.

Though re-sale isn't a concern for me...I still leave it on the trip counter...ignorance can be bliss!

10. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I’ve owned my F430 for 5 months now and put 2500 miles on it ,including the 500 miles from this weekend at Monterey Car Week. Keep on Trucking !!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland

This is what happened last week (100k km is around 62k miles). Not while most exiting drive, but still it was an emotional occasion for me. Also the value of the car dropped at least 20k in euros, lol.

Since summer of 2014 me and the previous owner have driven this particular example more than 50 000 km and she has been a wonderful companion. She has given thousands of smiles per gallon, joy both to me, my passengers and to random peoples seeing a Ferrari in person (as in my country these things are much more rare than in USA or even at Europe). She has her scuffs and marks, but also she has a wonderful story to tell, IF she could talk.

Originally she lived her life in Italy; Milano - Modena - Maranello -area, then imported to here in Finland. I'm being the 4th "caretaker".

Beside she has really rare spec which I've tracked from Europe largest used cars sales site, Mobile.de. Depending the search, there's 150-170 Ferrari 360 Modena on sale which only a handful (1-3) has same spec of two-tone full leather interior (firewall, roof, everything) with aluminium door sills, color stitching, carbon seats, factory roll bar behind seats and a factory yellow tacho. Car underwent Ferraris early 2000s personalization / customization program; so called Carrozzeria Scaglietti program when the 1st owner ordered it in 2001.

She has been remarkable reliable: Nothing major (one clutch job) before last spring when the F1 actuator gave up and the repair job gave some ... well, issues. Starter, few wheel bearings, belts, ignition coils and AC compressor among familiar stuff like door lock mechanism needing some attention.

67bmer and kandi like this.
  12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    39000, huh?
    The only thing left to do, thank it for its service (Marie Kondo) and end it in glorious fashion, a la Thelma and Louise.

Way2fast likes this.
  13. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    When I had the PPI done, the tech who worked for Ferrari told me to "drive it", I do every day unless it rains if I'm in town. There is nothing like it!

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When in the Navy, I was stationed overseas (Guam) and had to drive a government Jeep on a high security compound (nuclear submarine repair facility). Then the "gas rationing" started (late 1970's) and management started keeping track of all the mileage we drove. Some bright young sailor discovered that the odometer would go backwards if we drove backwards. At night when no one was around, we would sneak off base to the convenience store for goodies and magazines, then get back on base and drive our entire security route in reverse to erase the mileage. We all became experts at driving in reverse, all through the rear view mirror.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hopefully you take more than one annual summer drive;)

Way2fast likes this.
  16. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    43K on my 2004 spider gated....I just keep driving it, too much fun not too!

tonyc likes this.
  17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    math is telling me to drive more miles/day.... to lower mile $/mile ratio..... I'm at 1.5 yrs ownership and $3/mile expense.....

Time to drive more..........

brookliner - did it right....

ratarossa inspires me to drive it every chance I get for the life experience..... not the residual value equation!

KC360 FL likes this.
  18. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I assume most here own for the enjoyment, not the "investment". So then, the measure would be the high number of sMILES. I drive mine every chance I get.

KC360 FL likes this.
  19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Generally I don’t give much thought to mileage I accrue in refuards to diminished value. Heck I bought a new truck in 2013 for personal use and didn’t bat an eye, and it’s only rolled over 35k miles since I bought it because well I generally use one of my work trucks. Still don’t care it was what I wanted and I felt I got a good deal ( was a new 2012 I bought in 2013).

It always amazes me how some people buy these cars and park em in the garage and sell them a year later with like 200 miles. Granted unless something changes drastically for me I’ll never buy a Ferrari new but the prices on used decent Ferrari cars are in some cases less then I paid for my truck. I can’t say I’d never sell my Ferrari or any vehicle I own but it’s not something on my radar. If anything I’m trying to justify and figure out how to buy more. Been looking hard at 360’s again......... that probably won’t end well. But then again I guess if I get real serious and my wife balks I can always tell her it’s either that or an airplane and flying lessons...... on second thought that probably won’t end well either.

Apollo 11 likes this.