A-10 wings all done. | FerrariChat

A-10 wings all done.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I like this part...

"This final fleet of A-10s are expected to operate for up to 10,000-flight hours or an estimated 20-yrs. of Service."

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I see them flying all the time over Tucson...awesome plane. In reality they shouldn't call it a plane. It's more accurately a large gun with wings and a seat put on it.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In the mid 80's an A-10 visited the Paine Field Air Show and I spoke with the pilot at length. He told me that they couldn't fire their weapon at full rate because the muzzle gases choked the engines. That bit of knowledge got my attention when I thought about a gun that developed that much gas has to be a formidable weapon. Now, just ahead of the wing there is a strake or fence that I suppose directs the muzzle gas under the airplane. I also noticed the extreme angle of negative incidence of the horizontal tail that I assume is needed to counteract the extreme nose down pitching moment of the highly cambered wing. What a great airplane.

polishhammer83 likes this.
  5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    One of the most joyful surprises of my life was while spending the day at Pima, and saw a couple of A-10s low passing and flying patterns. At the time it was entirely unexpected, I never imagined I would happen to see A-10s in flight that day.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is replacing them? Drones?

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004

Me too! Caught me by surprise landing and circling Davis Monthan (north side of afb, not Pima).

The F16 ANG was an awesome surprise too while I was landing at the airport. Saw them all parked under their covered area and flipped out lol. Hearing 4 take off one after another when I was waiting for my departure never got old.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Whatever replaces them will need to have lower observables if they fight in a near peer engagement. The A-10 is a flying radar reflector.

polishhammer83 and amenasce like this.
  9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How do they compare to an attack helo?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I do not have any absolute numbers, but the AH-64 has a suppressed IR signature, especially compared to an A-10 and the surface area is much smaller. There are stealthy helicopters out there, but whether that has been applied to the AH-64 or a black equivalent I do not know. Both are vulnerable in high threat environments.

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    From a stealth perspective the original scenario of European TOA was more beneficial than the sandbox. To a large degree why the A-10s needed re-winging, as the pilots flying in Europe in the 80's were really giving the planes a high-g workout flying low level for terrain masking.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    As someone on another forum mentioned, each of those A-10 upgrades costs about the same as one F-35 helmet!

Well, small exaggeration, but still!

13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I am so glad I lived next to Martin State airport for a decade. I loved the frequent A-10s. Only thing cooler would have been to live there while all the seaplanes were being developed on that river. (Bob's book made me think of that timeframe)

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Their high g maneuvers are not everybody else's high g maneuvers. An A-10 pilot on one of my USAFE IG visits to the F-15 unit at Bitburg was really having problems with the Gs he was seeing (~7.5) during inspection sorties. Did not really bother me or the other fighter guys. No doubt the A-10 wings had a little extra dihedral after years of use, though.

jcurry likes this.
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I never knew that. Is it bc of the shape?

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Affirmative, the shape and all the angles where wings, tail units, etc meet the fuselage. Those are pretty much corner reflectors. The engines on the A-10 were placed to reduce IR signature, but that was against 80s threats like SA-7s. Newer IR seekers are much more sensitive.

18. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    This and the AC-130 are the two Air Force aircraft we Marines most enjoy seeing on a bad day! Huge fan of these platforms, and they have pulled us out of many a pickle!!

(Written from KASTOC, Jordan)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Haven't seen an airstair since I was a kid... used to be the only way to board an airliner.
    They were movable and adjustable, a Connie was higher than a DC-6.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No doubt if you were fighting insurgents in SWA, the A-10 and AC-130 could do a job on the bad guys.

ColGraves likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

The Af was alleging the F35 would replace the A10(for 10x the cost+++), and yes the A10 suffers in a hig threat enviroment. But for counterinsurgency its the beast. Or we could buy the russian equivalent which is cheaper and arguably better still.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The SU-25?

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes, simple rugged powerful.

I think the miltary is obsessed with an aircraft that can in theory work in a high threat enviroment. But most enagements after the first day or so are not going to be high threat, and then you need something that will work economicaly and effectively, and in quantity, and thats not the f35.

How many times in aviation warfare history has the old rugged reliable aircraft proved more than its worth.

Bob Parks and polishhammer83 like this.
  24. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought the AF was looking at a couple of turboprops to replace the A10?

Sent from my Umidigi One Max using Tapatalk

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sean- No longer true, unfortunately. Times have changed.