First Negative encounter/person messing with my 430. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

First Negative encounter/person messing with my 430.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zack Hawker, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I live in Scottsdale as well, there are 2 Home Depots, not sure which one you went to

IMO, you absolutely did the right thing, nothing good could have come from confronting him, and calling the Police would have probably left him angry at you, remember he is not normal

If he was so crazy as to do that to your car, he's also crazy enough to pull a gun on you

Life is short, you did the right thing to move on...

Zanny1 and BJK like this.
  2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It wasn’t car related initially, because I only owned a half rusted MGB at the time, but a guy just decided he didn’t like me for some reason. He was well known as a major league *******, and also as an up and coming star in the Minor League Hockey world.

I was about 5’11” and 160 lbs. at the time. He was 6’6” or 6’7” easy, and at least 250 lbs. At a party one night, I saw he was there and just figured “screw this, let’s leave.” Before we could, this jackass just bellowed out, came across the room, grabbed me, dragged me and threw me half way across the parking lot onto the hood of someone’s car. To this day I have no idea what set him off. A couple of his buds pulled him away, and all I had were a bunch of bruises, a ripped shirt and broken glasses.

I called the police and filed a complaint.

A few nights later, the police hauled him off the ice in full pads and gear, and charged him with assault. He lost his contract because of the charges, and never went any further than the AAA team he was with at the time. NHL never happened for him.

And that’s when it got ugly for me. Never underestimate the potential for an *******, being an *******, to call you out for letting everyone know that they’re an *******, and to up their ******* game. This ******* pretty much came after me every chance he could get. In hindsight, I might have just let Mr. Roid Rage go.

And then it became car related. Back then you could open the hood or the fuel door on older pickup trucks from the outside. Did you know you could buy a locking gas cap at Canadian Tire for about $5, put it on someone’s truck and then just toss the key? Best part is, if they have the flap covering the gas cap, they don’t know anything is wrong until they’re out of gas.

And those valve puller tools work on all four tires. And swapping around the ignition wires is great fun when you know someone has no idea what firing order is. And Limburger cheese on a cast iron engine block becomes a permanent addition after it melts into the pores.

And just to escalate things, with a hood you can open from the outside, and a source for a really good commercial paint stripper and enough patience to properly test and dilute, that windshield washer bottle can turn any truck into an instant Art Car.

Not that any of that happened, of course. But he did keep his distance until we both moved to different cities.

Toonfosi likes this.
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Like OJ’s memoir: “I didn’t kill her, but if i did, this is how I would do it”

Cgk360 and BJK like this.
  4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I was just looking at a couple of vandalized Ferrari’s for sale. I have to be honest I kinda had a sick feeling imagining some owner coming across this unsuspecting. I think it’s just a completely lack of respect for other people’s personal property. The cars in question were an f430 and a California T. Neither car was as much as some other mundane suv’s or less exotic cars like some Mercedes ect. But for some reason because Ferrari is perceived as expensive some poor owners had very bad days.

But life is too short and these cars are too much fun to drive to constantly worry and they are cars after all.

5. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Lambo and McLaren are both beautiful exotics. But when it comes to branding , they can’t beat the household Ferrari branding spanning decades.
    A lil kid even would know what a Ferrari is, the kid may not know what a Lambo or McLaren is.
    Just my 2 cents heh

“Sharing is Caring...”

Apollo 11 likes this.
  6. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #106 CCRider66, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
    LOL, I knew this was going to come up. Nice cars don't travel well in those hoods.;)
    Honestly, I drive mine where ever I must go. Park normally and act civil and I've had nothing but positive results. I've driven through the hood, and really most like the car too much to hate on the owner. YMMV :D

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I am in AZ as well and in 30+ years of Ferrari ownership, I have never had anything like this happen. I have even had the F40 do the Home Depot run and never a problem.

I did have a guy break into my 928 back in the day. I chased him down, tackled him, had to bash his head in the sidewalk a few times to subdue him. I drug him by his belt to the arms of waiting police officers. He did time and paid restitution.

I also had a couple of dirt bags follow me home, parked their white 'child molester van' across my driveway and attempt to get to me in my garage. I drew on them. They crapped themselves and got the hell out...... never to return. Another defensive use of a firearm and a win for the good guys.

You never know how you will respond given a certain situation. The OP did what he thought was best. I will have to agree with NightLife. The Ferraris will get everything from a thumbs up to a middle finger. The McLaren has been 100% smiles and thumbs up from everyone.

Have fun. Drive your car and be safe.

8. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Me too on all points