GPF is in Pista | FerrariChat

GPF is in Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Apologies I know this cuts across loads of threads, after weeks of enquiries I am told for sure that “nearly all Pistas” have GPF filters. My homologation expert at the factory said that Ferrari defy anyone to notice and even service depts would struggle to know it was on or even just find it. At 12/15 Kgs I am surprised.

Also was advised that the sound change is indiscernible.

Apparently the change took place ages ago 2018 (so pre 2019 factory shut down which folks speculated over) and my Oct 2019 build Spider has it.

Apologies if I am last to know, but I saw loads of questions on here. Hope this helps.

stavura, Lukeylikey and SoCal to az like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Cue the hundreds of "they ruined the car" posts in 3.....2........1

3. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    That’s a good joke ! ;)
    Really funny

Shadowfax and LVP488 like this.
  4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Well, I am currently standing underneath a newly delivered pista which has had its tray dropped to deal with an overhanging aircon outlet pipe. And it has no GPF which the service manager confirms. What am I missing (other than the GPF)?

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    As the saying goes, "This thread is worthless without photos."

6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I know - I wouldn’t have gone out if my source wasn’t usually totally reliable. Will be very frustrated if let down. Has been 100PV before.

7. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    this time his information is totally wrong

Shadowfax, Shack and mkraft3003 like this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    If pista truly have GPF, I will laugh at my earlier pearl-clutching consternation

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Any bookmakers around?
    Will / does Pista have GPF? (my guess: no)
    Will an F8 VS exist? (my guess: yes)
    Will Ferrari win the 2020 F1 championship? (my guess: no - OK this one was easy...)
    and so on...

10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    +1000 - two indepedant dealers on two continents have stated "no GPF" in Pista

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    April fools is April 1..just about half a year out ...

really, struggle to know if there?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

it would be rather trivial to see if GPFs are present or not...so, I think that sort of angle can be use to deconstruct the rest of your reliable source's disinformation...

12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    And, if PIsta's currently had GPF I'm sure this would reflect the availability of product to help increase performance by removing GPF and the necessary ECU reprogramming kits...

https://www.novitecgroup.com/rosso/en/488pista/katalog.php

none found, looked through the entire catalog...

not sure what the idea is here to spread this sort of misinformation, but, maybe you could find out ?

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So are we back to no GPF in Pista?

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I also searched here

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/488-pista-europe/all-pages/emissions-control-system-60994

and here

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/488-pista-europe/all-pages/exhaust-system-front-section-60995

cannot find any indication of GPF devices, maybe you could point us to the correct page on that website?

This may help, DPF listed here for a Ghibli:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/maserati/ghibli-v6-3-0-2014-250bhp/all/pre-catalytic-converters-and-catalytic-converters-51709/670004508

let us know what you find, thank you

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My understanding is no GPF in Pista. Thats partly why the Pista production will be less than some think and partly why we have an F8 (all will have GPF).

Lukeylikey likes this.
  16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Which begs the question about all the Pista spiders plus any coupes being delivered in 2020 to those regions impacted. I am in Europe and mine isn't due until Q2 2020. Ferrari will need to pull the rabbit out of the hat and get a derogation to continue with non-GPF Pistas in 2020. Interesting times.

Stradalelover likes this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I really like your investigative process. When the F8 comes out could you confirm whether there is 2 exhaust systems for the F8.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thank you, I think critical thinking is a skill all should pursue at all times :)

On that front, the F8 that was recently previewed by the local dealer was confirmed to have GPF devices. I had shared details of the GPF with their service director in March (until then he was not aware of them being used by Ferrari) and he has been on the lookout for any details and when that F8 arrived that's the first thing he reviewed and he confirmed they were present.

Given that recent confirmation, I would presume all F8s will include GPF (and my presumption for low-quality fuel countries Ferrari will simply deal with warranty issues at that time, perhaps they will develop some sort of update that allows removal of the GPF in selected countries..just a guess, depends on how many warranty cases occur resulting from low quality fuels -- typically the result of high sulphur content).

map of gasoline sulphur-content by country:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and MANDALAY like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Is it possible that your car will be built in 2019- but delivery may take time which pushes the delivery into q2? Just taking a wild ass guess.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can this GPF be easily removed in the F8 and if removed will it make any difference?

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From what I understand, they are not easily removed, as they are a fairly complex in their connection to the engine and ECU. I'm sure the ECU is not a big deal, but the removal itself is from what I gather, a lot more involved than say just a cat bypass.

As for added power? Well look at it this way. If the engine in the F8 is in fact the same as in the Pista, and the Porsche GT3RS models now delivered with GPF have unchanged power and performance numbers, well then it stands to reason that removing the GPF will yield no significant gains.

Until someone has done some unbiased back to back dyno pulls, it's all speculation as to how much it will affect power output.

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    a good primer:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/emissions-regulations-gpf-challenges-petrol-vehicles-javier-nadal

Unless Ferrari provides a method for removal+replacement, any 3rd party solution (if one ever exists) will require reprogramming the car's computers and will void some portion of of the car's warranty. Removal (and replacing with 'straight pipes' or other 'gpf delete' device) without reprogramming the car's computers will definitely result in engine failure and 'limp mode'. Not recommended.

of2worlds and MANDALAY like this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless it's a crazy build, a car that is put on the line in 2019, should roll off in Q1. Once it's on the line, things move pretty quick. As for post production delivery times? Seems to me they are all over the place, especially with the overseas cars as they apparantly are held up for prolonged periods of time occassionally.

SoCal to az likes this.
  24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Have to love the environmentalists

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  25. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Not really speculation...

First of all I am certain the F8 power was increased but to simply overcome the disadvantage of the GPF devices (one per exhaust channel).

As an example of 'not really speculation':

http://www.driversmagazine.com/bmw-will-retain-bigger-v12-engine-till-2023-thanks-upsurge-demand/

excerpt:
    Chinese buyers who can afford to buy 7-Series model is more than willing to pay supercar price for M760Li and are not content with lesser variant. This has led to maximum capacity building of these engines. However, M760Li won’t be the most power BMW in the range. It is due to addition of particulate filters necessary according to latest emissions rule. The engine now offers 577hp and instead of 602hp.
    ...BMW didn't try to improve HP, it just let the GPF do its damage, 4% + power loss!

of2worlds and tekaefixe like this.