348 - Production improvement serial numbers? | FerrariChat

348 Production improvement serial numbers?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Chippa, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Hiya, is there a register detailing the serial number at which each of the above improvements were implemented? I'm trying to determine how many of the first 7 might have been included on a 348tb, indicated as "MY91", with s/n 095193.

(Full VIN is ZFFKA35C000095193) Thanks in advance!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think typically s/n are not totally linear and this is a UK car so how about you give us date of first registration and/or look if the starter motor says Bosch or Nippon

3. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Colin
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is a "build date" on your cars door plaque. Mine for example say Oct 90. That is a close as you'll get. There is no super galactic well organized database registration of car vins with which part numbers were included on what car segmented by color and body type. It is worth noting that even thought it says as of date X that may not be Iron clad there are examples of dual clutch cars after the date and singles before the date for example. Some of the changes are based on chassis build number like #12 so for example check the TSB's. Btw #12 is easily the most critical on that list so if not done it needs to be checked. Not trivial to do btw.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Won't a visual check of item 9 give you a better idea of manufacture date - if it really is 'MY91' then to Nov 93 reg is a long time in the yard at Egham.....

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A bit more research suggests similar s/n 512TR would have been half way thro US MY 93 which implies a more likely date for your build is very early 1993

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It will say right on the door Just check that? That's your staring point. The chassis build is by the rear driver shock is the second bit you need.

Attached Files:

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    That plate is not on UK cars

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is a chassis number? Yes?

10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ferrari Classic Parts (based in Thorpe, UK) should be able to answer this. I suggest emailing them with your chassis number.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Only in the North American market. RoW spec cars have no build date on the plate. Usually the “Date of First Registration” serves as the closest thing.

To the original poster. My car, 94472, was produced in May 1992. Thus 95193 should be well into 1992 for production date. If it’s that late, it has the updates.

12. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Guys, many thanks for your enthusiastic inputs! I am going to have another look at it in a few days time so will obviously check starter and alternator brands, and get the chassis number with which to email FCP Thorpe. And I've learnt not to expect a door plaque now!

It will need a major service in January so I'll read up on whats involved with an upgrade of #12 (front timing bearing). Thanks again!

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Starting at 3:33 in part 3. If you have service records it may be in there if it was done pre-update, worth checking :)

14. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Thanks Eric,
    Will check out the video a little later. No mention of a bearing upgrade on the service coupons but plenty cambelts in its 30K km life. I'll see if there are more detailed service notes available but not holding my breath!

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  16. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Mine is a UK '91 Car but is #89133. I have the build sheet for mine, so your MY date may be incorrect.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Wade likes this.
  20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm pretty sure you won't find a cut-off date and/or production improvement at a specific time or serial number. In other words, "as of that car, we will now be doing this."

So any car built during the year/s where improvements were implemented could have these upgrades. But then, with the exception of mandated safety improvements, parts still on hand might end up in the production run as well.

Best to inspect and document your car specifically. For example, the VIN for my tb codes out to a 1992 model, but the data plate shows August 1991 as its date of manufacturer.

However, regarding Item #4 on the list (10/10/91 double plate-clutch changed in favor of single-plate clutch—production improvement), my car has a single plate clutch. Two months before the implementation date. So, either the 10/10/91 date is an estimate, or someone converted the car afterwards.

ZFFRM35A8N0091350

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think that list is wrong on many fronts. I documented the errors somewhere. Basically, many things came earlier than what the list says.

22. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Colin
    A big thanks to all the posters! Have now had another good look over (and under!) it again and am convinced its 93(ish!). The "MY91" on the registration papers seems to have been a red herring.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I would contact Ferrari directly and ask them for supporting documentation regarding its build date, etc. Less worries in the future if you intend to sell.