Where to get new Expansion valve and Dryer for 348? | FerrariChat

Where to get new Expansion valve and Dryer for 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferrari360driver, Apr 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hey guys, I am having various problems with my ac. Wanting to know if I can still get those parts new? My ac blows cool not ice cold. High pressure side at idle to 2K rpms is 300-350 PSI. Low side 35 at idle and 30 psi at about 2K rpms. Compressor has very few miles on it since last replacement. Unsure of expansion vale or dryer.

2. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    as far as the dryer goes, https://www.polarbearinc.com/ has them for under $50. Call them as there are 2 types/fittings. The lady I spoke with asked for a pic of the old, for fitting purposes, and shipped out quickly... Based out of FL. Website didn't show the dryer last year. maybe they have updated since, although they do list the 355....

3. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I have a new expansion valve for you. PM me.

4. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I have the exact same issue as the OP - same pressures at idle, not super cold, etc. Is there a generic expansion valve available? (I have already replaced the dryer with the polarbear unit)

Also, do people typically replace that insulation stuff that covers the original valve with something or just leave it bare?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If it's in the same location as my old Lotus Esprit, because the pipes are so cold, condensation builds up on the outside and drips onto the feet of the passengers or onto the carpet. I found some insulation for my Lotus, not sure if Ferrari stockists have it.

6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I redid my Porsche ac, you can buy Prestite tape at autozone to cover the expansion valve. It’s like a sticky, malleable cork tape. I don’t know what they use on Ferrari’s but I assume it’s universal. You should cover it.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/tape/santech-prestite-tape/158980_0_0

Qavion and chopsui like this.
  7. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    put my new valve in, new drier, vacuumed the system for 45 mins charged with 950-1000 grams and still only blows 70F from the vents. At hot idle the pressures are 49 PSI low side 245 PSI high side. 2500 RPM idle they are 38 PSI low side 290 PSI high side. Compressor may be weak

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you are getting a delta of 190 psi between low side and high side, the compressor cannot be weak.

9. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I would agree; an improperly calibrated TEV could create this situation. AMHIK