348 - New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major | Page 7 | FerrariChat

348 New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major

Discussion in '348/355' started by dahveedem, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I understand.

There have been times when I have had to pony up money to have a mechanic work on a car for me, simply because I didn’t have the time to do it myself. Paid a guy to replace the front drive shafts on my 400,000+ mile Expedition because I did not have the time to do it myself. The cv joints on both side where DONE! Brought him the new axles and he charged me $100 for the whole job.

There have also been times when I was willing to pay a mechanic to do the work, again because of lack of time, and then I got the estimate. It was so absurd that I MADE the time to do it. I had the fuel pump finally go out after 20+ years, again on my 400k+ mile Expedition. Called a couple of shops and was quoted $700-$800 to change the pump out. “Homie don’t play dat!” Dropped the tank, R&R’d the pump myself for about $110 in parts, and with a lifetime warranty on the new pump.

Thing with alot of us diyers is we know when it is a fair price, a deal, and a complete ripoff. Some may even get enjoyment out of doing it ourselves. ;)

FerMaz, cardude442 and AceMaster like this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So you paid all that money and it still wasn't fixed? :confused:

They do have some strange fuse combinations. I believe the glovebox light is also on that circuit. Who knows, it could be something simple like a shorted bulb in the glovebox :p (but more likely a faulty wiper motor or, as you say, or door hinge wiring problems).

cardude442 likes this.
  3. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I figure when I get too fat to get under the dash I'll pony up the $$.

Yep. That's how I diet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cardude442 likes this.
  4. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I call it ‘wrench therapy’

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Don't forget that time when you had to pay a mechanic to change out the alternator belt on the 348. Some DIY you are.

DGPF and ernie like this.
  6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL.

Actually, I payed them so I could use their pit so I could change the belt and tighten the tensioner bearing back down. ;) They were to chicken to do it. :p

cardude442 and steved033 like this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Like the guys at Midas when i came in with the bellhousing, and couldn't get that rear nut off with my impact.

"Does that say Ferrari?"

sigh..Yes.

"well, i'm going to hand you the impact and you can do it. I don't want anything to do with messing it up..."

BRRAP! Thanks guys!

sjd

Qavion, cardude442 and ernie like this.
  8. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've had 2 majors done on 355s. I don't have the space, equipment or skill to do this myself. Even if I did, the opportunity cost of my labor would have to be factored in. It's the same reason I don't clean my own house, my time is better spent elsewhere.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had a tire shop refuse to replace my tire because of the Ferrari logo on it

ernie likes this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Makes sense. It's worth mentioning many folks enjoy working on them, it's not a cost cutting measure it's recreation. I'd rather do that than golf for example. In fact I specifically bought it TO work on it. Almost enjoy that more than driving it. One day someone will get an annoying well sorted car when I pass it on.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

WATSON, cardude442, MAD828 and 2 others like this.
  11. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    So much this. My day job is with intangibles so I like working on the car(s) and why I bought and buy the cars I do.

Plus I love the look on people's faces when you say.. oh yah i do most of my own work.
    "On a Ferrari?"

That then opens the door for a convo to dispel the myth these cars can't be worked on by their owners.

But yes it's a choice... and there are some things i wont do myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cardude442 and brookliner7 like this.
  12. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yep, that makes sense.

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Like?

Personally, I hate coolant changes...I think it was the hassle of disposal. I've discovered my local oil change express will take a bucket of coolant and not charge me. Now it's less of a big deal.

That just leaves AC work.

sjd

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohhh God I'm doing coolant now for switches and thermostat etc. i had rear of car jacked up.. people don't do that, what a dam mess. Wont be doing coolant again jiffy lube can do that next time if I need a flush. Ugh.

CLIVE77 and Jh348 like this.
  15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    yeah...even a slight nose down, and it runs up under the tray and magically comes out somewhere else....

I just use jiffychangeexpress to dispose. I wouldn't let them touch it...I have a pic somewhere of them with a new oil filter set seal down on the floor, waiting to go into a tahoe...

sjd

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes! That's exactly what happend. Heavy metal liquid all over the floor. Where the hell was the FAQ for that lol.

I'm changing the heater pump up front for good measure and I'll be doing THAT with the front wheels on ramps tipped back the other way to keep overflow out of the boot.

Pepboys does disposal too.

cardude442 and steved033 like this.
  17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Hot tip! Costco "kirkland" Puppy pads. With the oil pan off, I kept a couple under the engine for the random drip, not to mention the odd drop of coolant that would run down the firewall or under the tray...

We have an 18 year old dog. You need to save the floor quick, puppy pads are nothing but superabsorbent.

sjd

cardude442, Qavion and ernie like this.
  18. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    If your system has been converted to R-134a already, then hit Harbor Freight for an A/C manifold gauge set ($60) and a vacuum pump ($94) and between the two you can tackle most anything.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    it still has the R-12 connectors, so I don't think it has...

I'll be getting the gauge set soon.

sjd

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #170 Ferrarium, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    The original posts talk about a major plus some extra stuff we'll have to wait and see and how amazing it will be. What happend? It was a regular service with a bunch of mishapps that turned into more videos and drama. The tech bent valves then says he's done it enough to know that happens but not enough to not do it. Sometjing seeems fishy in the whole thing.

Here is what happened it seems to me. The failures and issues were planned. It's as fake as the titles or so it seems. Those failures making it look so much harder than it is, that WAS the extra stuff.

#fakefailures ? Am I alone in this observation, maybe I'm wrong.o_O

DGPF and cardude442 like this.
  21. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn

I wouldn’t think an experienced tech would benefit from faking mistakes. I would guess his agreement to be in the video was to get good exposure, not that he would earn any thing off NGSC’s views.

cardude442 likes this.
  22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    He's been fishing for "another project" on FB....

sjd

23. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Seriously. A true bad comedy of errors.

A new 'oops' appears every 3 minutes...

DGPF likes this.
  24. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    It was such crap I stopped watching. I didn't want to waste my time or support his click bait channel in any way.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ernie likes this.
  25. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I watched the whole series. There were multiple mistakes expected of someone who doesn't turn wrenches frequently but still takes on an ambitious project. It was like a lesson in what to do, and how not to do it. That in itself was valuable to me. Everything bad that happened could easily have been at the hands of a "pro" who was distracted, hung-over, or a couple days away from being fired for incompetence.

As for the Youtube channel, at first, after a couple episodes, I didn't want to like the series because of the clickbait titles and "bro" approach to car appreciation and maintenance. But I appreciated the comradery of friends in a garage, I got sucked in, and after delving in further to the "Normal Guy Supercar" videos, I found the host Dan to be genuine and likable. He wears his car-guy heart on his sleeve. After watching many of his shows, the hidden gem of his Youtube videos is his wife Meghan, who makes several cameo appearances to air her grievances about the exotic car hobby. She's well-spoken, attractive, and funny! He's lucky to have her, and given the right circumstances, she could take his Youtube ball and run with it.

Fred Daniali likes this.