The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    With a warranty obviously it's going to be less. :) Otherwise $2400 or so for belts every 5 years for the 360, none for the 430. If the engine has to come out for the some repairs, it might not be that much less.. we'll see. :)

2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    yeah, but don't forget, the overhead cost for paying 'Tony' is much more than it is for 'Joey'. ;)

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Time will tell. But I wouldn't bank on it. As mentioned earlier, one only needs to see what costs are involved in servicing a top shelf Lexus, Mercedes, or even Mustang or Camaro these days.

To add, a good Independent shop knows that the lack of the "Ferrari tax" is what it keeps it's customers. And despite what most want to think, the 360/430 IS a reliable exotic.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. Michael Reed McNabb

Sep 17, 2018
    Ballwin, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Michael Reed McNabb
    The advent of the C8 will, to my sense, have a very marginal effect on used sales of ANY Ferrari. Income levels notwithstanding, the mentalities of the two enthusiast groups are far too different . The new car DOES finally move it from the 'sporty' category, to full sports car with it's correct engine placement. But, historically, these owners have a penchant for huge displacement, push-rods and school-bus noises - things fairly detestable to the rest of us. It WILL be a good performance value. It WILL win Le Mans next year like the Ford did on it's first try, as the FIA's 'BOP' is always altered favorably for new (or returning) manufacturers and prominent new automotive releases. As the former owner of three Corvettes, graduating to three Porsches and finally to a classic 308, my 'target' automobile was always the automobile I now own. I will keep it until the Prancing Horse adorns the hood or grill of an SUV. I will at that time hurl my linch at the sidewalk, sell my beloved car and redirect my collecting to racing motorcycles.

kes7u likes this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I’m going to update my prior statements and say that the driving experience will need to be pretty awesome to supplant F car sales. I got to drive my F430 this weekend after driving my buddy’s 458 the prior day (which is about to go up for sale), and the driving experience is truly what sets Ferrari apart.

I think there will be some losses though, and the depreciation will increase in used F cars as they get older, but perhaps not as noticeably as I originally thought. It all boils down to how the C8 feels when you drive it. Not much to say until we get some test drive stories.

6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    So you must be planning to sell pretty soon then?

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Just read in a European newspaper that Chevy won’t be making any $60k cars in the first year and that most will be fully equipped models around $90k. Further the C8 will be around $150k in Europe after taxes and import duties.

MalcQV and G. Pepper like this.
  8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Few of the initial cars will be base models. Most will be 2lt and many with z51 option which will be $75k total which is still amazing value. After 1st shipments are done, order whatever you like including $60k base models. Dont know anything about European pricing but Chevy will probably bump next year's base models to $65k or more. All this is similar to c7 strategies. Nothing new.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Kerbeck has closed reservations for the 2020 C8.

https://kerbeck.com/reserve/

If you aren't aware, Kerbeck is by far the largest Corvette retailer in the US. BTW, my local dealer here in TX has waiting list for 2020 C8, is also closed for reservation, and has all the local deliveries spoken for. Of course, there will still be some people backing out. Well, seems Kerbeck has accounted for this and has a wait list of ~200 buyers when those 'no show' people don't follow through. I'm guessing some retailers who are charging above MSRP will still have some allocations. I've heard the few that are going to Las Vegas will be $5000-8000 above MSRP, I guess if one wants to really have a C8, they can pay for it, but as close as I can to fulfilling my statement - the C8 for 2020 is basically sold out.

But - your 'BS' lasted more than a week. Congrats :)

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #310 TheMayor, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Still BS.

How many 2o20’s have they ordered for themselves? They ain’t saying.

You’ll be able to buy a 2020 car early. You’ll just have to take what’s available and whatever markup they will put on it.

This idea that it’s “sold out” is poppycock because unlike Ferrari the dealers order their own cars and sell them nationally.

These are unsold cars. It’s BS to make people want to pay more for one off the lot.

Chevy isn’t alone in this BS. Ferrari claimed the California was already sold out for 2 years when it was introduced.

Do you honestly believe you’re gonna walk on Keebeck’s lot for the next 18 months and not see a single brand new C8 for sale? These big Dealers cannot wait to put them on Cars.com.

What they want to do is convert pre- ordered cars into buy them off the lot sales. A guy calls up and they tell them it’s a year wait. But—- for $20 grand over msrp thru have their color choice ready to go tomorrow.

Hence: not taking any more custom orders.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    2021 will be selling at same discount c7 sold for in year after it was introduced. hype will die down and huge production numbers will return supply and demand to normal for c8

KC360 FL likes this.
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Kerbeck and Criswell get a lot of corvettes I think kerbeck gets a couple of trucks per week or more I suspect if they are saying they have closed orders it is because they want to have inventory to make up ..I ordered on from criswell couple of weeks ago and my brother ordered one last week from Criswell .. we were promised summer delivery although I suspect it will be sooner as many will delay or cancel due to change of heart etc...

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Not so. An aluminum framed mid engined Corvette truly "changes the game". Not only the predictable Corvette market is included but a whole other new market is introduced. Myself included. My dilema is to buy an early C8 for 80k and lose a predictable bit or go for a "special" edition used Ferrari for double the price with much less performance but stable depreciation . Decisions decisions

one4torque likes this.
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yeah the more I see vids of the c8 in the real world the more I like it.

It has everything going for it.

The engine is finally in the right place.

I just need to see how it handles at the limit by the -insert pro driver name here—...,

It’s giving me the FIZZ

15. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    So from my perspective, that still qualifies as “sold out” because I want a very specific spec and will not buy otherwise, regardless of the price.

It highly unlikely that any dealer will have ordered what I want, so call it what you want, but for me it’s effectively the same as there being no cars available to buy.

16. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    As long as you don’t drive it, lol.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Really? There are maybe 5,000 cars in 2020 that have no owners yet waiting to hit dealer lots.

As an example, right now there are about 5,000 C7's on dealer lots still waiting to be sold! Does that mean the 2019 C7 is sold out?

18. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    #318 Lagunascorpio, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    If none of them are what I want and I can’t get what I want... then it’s “sold out” to me.

Similar problem for me with the used 430 market. There are many available for sale, but none match my desired spec, and I want what I want. Might just as well be none for sale.

19. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    This is a hot topic, and for good reason. I thought I'd throw in my two cents because I am an example of the original question: The C8 came out just as I was getting serious in my search for a 360/430. The C8 is a beautiful car. It's powerful. It's reliable (relatively speaking, and based on C7 info). It's going to be easier and cheaper to maintain than a Ferrari. It has a warranty. The list goes on and on.

When the C8 came out, it really gave me pause. Used 360's and 430's are going for roughly the same price as the C8. Wouldn't it make since to get the Corvette and have a car I can enjoy without all the headaches, unknowns, and extra expenses? Sure it would, but...

It's not a Ferrari!

Pretty as it is, the C8 doesn't have the same curves as a 360. It doesn't have the same curb appeal. It will depreciate fairly quickly. It won't be long before you see one on the road at least once a week if not every day. Not to take away from a great car, but it's just not playing at the same level as Ferrari in popular mystique.

I chose a 20-year-old 360 over the C8. While some will be enticed into Chevy's corner, I'm sure many others will come to the same conclusion that I did.

TomAZ, Apollo 11, kes7u and 3 others like this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Owners of more recent FCars ,let's say 458 onwards ,might like to add a C8.

They get the mid engine feeling any time they feel like it without the usual worries,save the Ferrari for more special days .

MalcQV likes this.
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Agreed.
    I've just never been a "Vette guy". Even when I was a kid in my teens and twenties. And frankly I think it's as simple as that. I know most here don't see it that way but for me as an "either or" choice... apples and oranges.

Apollo 11 and kes7u like this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And therein lies the problem. When shopping for my 360 I knew that I was dealing in a used car. I couldn't order a 360 they way I wanted it and
    I was OK with that. I was patient and lucky. I found a car that was all I could hope for and I love it. But I get the allure of ordering a car exactly as you want it. Especially if it's a "keeper".

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    A double edged sword. :) Translation... OMG my car has been for sale for 6 months and not one offer... -or- the only offers I've been given are $10k less than my lowest ask.

Metallic brown and purple leather interior spec can be tough to sell.. :) hehehe *jk*

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I had a 28 year old patient yesterday that had bronchitis. He was bummed because he didn't want to be sick when he was picking up his new car.

Of course I asked what it was.. a Mustang 350GT. I asked why not the C8? He responded that he just wasn't into Vettes and he had friends who had the C7.
    After this I don't think it will change much at all. It's business as usual. Just wait for the hype to go down... I suspect that it might be like the hype for the Supra. A lot online but once it's here not sure it will actually translate into sales. I personally suspect many of those deposits will go unfilled and the wait lists will get their cars.

I'll entertain one in 5 years when it's on craigslist for $18-20k. ;)

TomAZ and Apollo 11 like this.
  25. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Lol yeah I totally get that, and to be honest, many of the “leftover” 430s I’ve seen for sale resemble that remark.

I think I desired something relatively mainstream that the smart money is already hoarding.

My halo 430 would be:

2008 (or older w/CCB)
    Manual transmission
    Rosso Corsa or Scuderia
    Black interior with red stitching
    Large black racing seats
    Leather shelf
    CF driving zone, paddles, sills
    CF steering wheel
    CF engine bay
    Scuderia Shields
    Red calipers