The return of SNJ5 | FerrariChat

The return of SNJ5

Discussion in '308/328' started by ATSAaron, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    SNJ5 built what is probably the most documented Ferrari Mondial ever. His posts are still referenced in the tech section here.

I managed to buy the car about 18 months ago. It was in beautiful condition still, but the engine didn’t run because the custom Mallory distributor had failed and exact replacements were no longer available.

The correct Mallory distributor for this conversion was a special reverse rotation. That one was discontinued. I managed to buy a normal rotation one and lock out the timing advance. That got the car running, but with just one timing setting. No big deal as I had other plans anyway.....

Taking a similar path as my 308: efi, e85, and turbocharged.

We wrapped up the e85 tune yesterday. 523whp/650 flywheel horsepower at just 11 psi!

Aaron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thomas Magnum and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    When I bought the car it still had the carburetors and aftermarket euro headers that SNJ5 had installed. I took this parts off and sold them. The insulated stock US style headers work better for turbocharging as they hold the heat in better.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I wondered where that car ended up, great to see it back out and about! Enjoy.

I'm not surprised at the numbers, the cams are nice, a buddy of mine did the porting to match the setup...like a 15% flow bump iirc....I still have a set of the intake valves used in that engine, 31.25mm and a touch shorter than stock to work with the seat profile used and there was a min order of 3 set again iirc, but I have a set here. The carbs were the flow restriction, but the stock intakes are also an issue so I guess a wash there.

What ECU are you using?

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    It’s a Link G4+ Extreme. We did coil on plug ignition with Tundra coils and throttle by wire using a Maserati pedal and a Toyota Tundra throttle body.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    fun fun

ATSAaron likes this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    When I read the headline I actually thought, long-time member Russ returned. How's he? His last post was from 1 1/2 years ago.

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    He's building WWI replica airplanes in the midwest and looking good, per Facebook

Martin308GTB likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    find him on Facebook, enjoying his private aerodrome, WWI aircraft, and doing improv comedy now.

9. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Also taking dance lessons with some cute ladies.

10. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    SNJ5/Russ did an amazing job of documenting all he did to this great Ferrari. I'm not as good as him at it, but I'll at least list out the stuff we did to the car.

Interior/Sound:
    -Alpine CD player with bluetooth - when I got the car it had a German head unit that was no longer functional. I think at one point it received German traffic updates?
    -Kicker 6.75 sub between the back seat. Russ made an excellent custom enclosure to go there, but the foam had deteriorated. so I put a Kicker 6.75 sub in it's place.

Drivetrain
    The transmission is completely stock.
    Clutch is a Norwood Italia unit. Pedal feels barely stiffer than my stock Mondial 8 pedal.

Engine
    The intake and runners are Mondial/328 plenum and runners. I ported the runners to match his ported heads.
    348 intake manifold gaskets match the head and runners

ECU/Sensors
    ECU is a Link g4+ Extreme - Link has been around for over twenty five years.
    MAP sensor is a Toyota Caldina unit 89421-21010
    Ignition Coils are 2006 Toyota Tundra 90080-19027
    Throttle Body is also Toyota Tundra 22030-0F010
    Throttle Pedal is Maserati 2006-2008 Quattroporte
    Intake Air Temp Sensor is the common GM Fast Response one GM part# 25036751
    Water Temp Sensor for the ecu is also a GM part# 25036979

Turbo/Intercooler
    Boost control solenoid is from ATS: http://atsracing.net/Parts/Index/BOOSTCTRL
    Intercooler water pump is a Bosch unit: Bosch# 0392022002
    Intercooler Core is available from Frozen Boost
    Intercooler heat Exchanger is from a 2008 Saleen Extreme S302 Mustang
    Turbo is a Precision 6265 journal bearing with an anti surge S cover and a .82 AR T4 exhaust side

11. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Addendum to ecu/sensors: the flex fuel ethanol content sensor is from a 2012 Chevrolet Impala

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Love the link ecu's, been using them since 2010. Between the extreme and thunder, I prefer the thunder, for what ever reason it has less things to sort and much faster getting that first start and setup underway. I personally think it's due to the fact that the PC link software is the same no matter the ECU, yet some functions and abilities have to be not available depending on which one you use.
    Knock sensor tuning is a real PITA no matter what, and multibank O2 Target tuning can be tricky to setup, otherwise great product.

Excellent work btw, nothing like boost. Just controlling the heat is a lot of work. I found that the sweet spot is 7gal for the intercooler to keep temps stable with back to back power pulls. Who needs a spare tire?

13. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Thanks for the compliments. This intercooler system is fairly small, total capacity is a little over 1 gallon. But with these low boost pressures the turbo doesn't put much load on it. I added a sensor to control the fans mounted on the Saleen heat exchanger, but it's also useful to monitor intercooler water temps.

Aaron

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    MONGO LIVES!

I saw this car a few times in its previous life, including meeting Russ for lunch when he picked it up from Norwoods after a bunch of work. One of the best sounding Ferrari's I've ever heard with the carbs.

Glad to see it running again Aaron, congrats! I recall speaking to you about the car at Boardwalk a while back. That's the day I learned about reverse rotation distributors. :)