All The NOVITEC 488 Exhaust System Variations - Videos & Impressions Inside - TAG MS | FerrariChat

All The NOVITEC 488 Exhaust System Variations - Videos & Impressions Inside - TAG MS

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Alex@TAG, Nov 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #1 Alex@TAG, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    TAG MOTORSPORTS

There has been a lot of discussion here on Ferrarichat and we have been getting a lot of calls about all the variations of exhausts for the Ferrari 488 and the different setups that you can do, so we thought it would be best to give you all a nice writeup. Having our vary own 488 in house gave us the ability to be able to try and test out almost every exhaust setup that Novitec (among a few other brands as well) have to offer for the car. Each one has a unique character that suits a specific need, so we felt it would be best to share our impressions and videos of each variation that would help you better decide between them all. The first thing to note, is that the 488's stock exhaust is quite good - but there is a HUGE room for improvement. At first I was skeptical about even putting an exhaust on because the basic flow of the factory system is very very good, straight out of the cat - so i thought "no way its going to sound THAT much better for all that $." But I was quickly proven wrong (remember this is all personal preference as well).

I will start by introducing our TAG/Novitec 488 (for those who already have not met her) with a short video done by our good friends at Cinemotive Media. This video shows the car featuring the 20/21 HRE P101 wheels in Brushed Frozen Gold finish, the complete Novitec Carbon Aero Package, as well as the Novitec 772HP Stage 2 Power Package which features their Exhaust System with Cat Replacement Pipes (which we will get into further down in the thread.)

All of the Novitec Exhaust Systems are made to order, so they have about a 6-10 week lead time. Fortunately for all you, we at TAG try to stock one of every variant at all times, so feel free to contact us for more information or visit our web site TAG Motorsports - Performance Auto Parts Vista, CA.

Option #1) Novitec Exhaust System with Valve Control & Stock Cats

The factory 488 comes standard with a valved exhaust system that automatically opens and closes the valves at a certain RPM based on the Manettino dial setting. The Novitec Valve Controlled Exhaust can be used two different ways. You can keep it set as the factory opens and closes it, or you can go with the Novitec Switchtronic, which allows you to open and close the valves as you please with the push of a wireless button located in your cigarette lighter.

The sound - when the valves are closed, it sounds good, its subtle but quite a bit deeper than stock. But when the valves open up, the car sounds absolutely 100% different. The gargles and pops are much more pronounced. Upon downshifts you get to really enjoy a bit of the naturally aspirated sound a bit more with both valves open and closed. Turbo noise is not much more apparent than the factory system with this variation. If you were to go with this system, i HIGHLY suggest pairing it to the Novitec Switchtronic exhaust valve controller (which you can see the difference in the video below).

Click HERE to find out more about this system.

Option #2) Novitec Exhaust System WITHOUT Valves & Stock Cats

This system is absolutely amazing. I have this system currently on the car still because I really enjoyed it that much. Novitec removed the valves and created something similar to an "X" pipe exhaust mating the left and right banks together (and wrapped in heat protection as well which is a nice touch.) The exhaust note that it creates is a very unique one. it is much higher pitched than stock and under loud it sounds absolutely stunning. We noticed a significant difference in the amount of turbo noise you get to hear both inside and outside the cabin. Not being able to go from loud to quiet personally did not bother me very much because the exhaust note is NOT so loud that its annoying. It’s a really special sound in my opinion. On the highway at extremely low RPM’s there is a very very very slight hint of drone but its manageable. Even while on a call in the car via Bluetooth, the exhaust certainly is not intrusive at all. I really enjoy this system and will look forward to installing this one also on our incoming 488 Spider.

Click HERE to find out more about the Novitec Exhaust system WITHOUT valves.

Option #3) Novitec Exhaust System WITHOUT Valves & With Cat Delete Pipes

So this system is the holy grail of all systems. This takes the car, and turns the volume up to “11”. It is intoxicating. The exhaust note is unlike anything you have ever heard, and it makes even the 488 Challenge car sound like it needs an exhaust. The system replaces the downpipes (cats) with a straight through pipe and features heat shielding to protect both the exhaust and the surrounding areas from excessive heat, and mate that to the Novitec Non-Valved (or what I call “X-Pipe System”) which we discussed as Option #2 above. It also gives you about an additional 30hp gain when mated to the Novitec N-Tronic Software Upgrade.

At cold start, you can already tell that the car is a monster. The engine has a rumble that is unlike any other V8 Ferrari but then topped with a very cool turbo whine that gives you that smile from ear to ear. The system is LOUD, but its very managed by your right foot. If you’re cruising around without giving it all the beans, you enjoy a gargle and pop and a ton of turbo whine as the car is barely building boost. Once you get on it – it’s an absolute symphony. This is the same exhaust shown in the first video on the thread showcasing the entire car. Towards the end of you video you hear the exhaust note and how intoxicating it really here. HIGHLY recommend pairing this system to the Novitec Techtronic Unit that suppresses the Check Engine Light (as it will appear due to the lack of catalysts).

Here are two more videos of the system

Option #4) Novitec Exhaust System With Valves & With Cat Delete Pipes

So to get the best of all the worlds, gargles, pops, turbo spool, and the ability to go from loud to quiet modes, going with the Novitec Exhaust with Valve Control, and the Cat Delete Pipes is the solution for you. This gives you option #1 which me mentioned above, but with the exhaust note and turbo spool (and additional HP gain we spoke about above with the cat delete pipes.) But the main difference is that you can go all the way to quiet mode with this exhaust system with the push of a button inside the cabin (if you elect to go with the Novitec Switchtronic Option – otherwise it will open/close the valves as the car would from the factory.)

In loud mode, it does offer a bit more gargles than the system without valves, however it is not as high pitched, but it does seem to be a bit deeper. In quiet mode, it is very close to the louder mode from the factory exhaust so it is quite nice.

All of the exhausts can be done with or without the angle cut Novitec Tips in either Silver or Black. I went with the black tips which are a bit more aggressive than factory and I quite like it, as it gives the car a nice edge. I also HIGHLY recommend the Novitec N-Tronic Software upgrade as well with any exhaust system as you can uncork the car quite a bit, especially once mated to the exhausts. The tunes are very safe and comfortable, and offer the same powerband as factory, which gives it a very nice pull all the way to redline.

We do have the majority of these products on TAG Motorsports - Performance Auto Parts Vista, CA, however not every variation is listed, so if you dont see something please dont hesitate to contact us. As time goes on, we will continue to make more videos to show you more options and cars we are doing featuring the exhaust systems as well as other goodies for the Ferrari 488. If you have ANY questions at all, or would like to inquire about special Ferrarichat Member Pricing, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 877-523-6747 Ext# 198, or feel free to email me at [email protected]

2. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Alex - really interesting to see the various Novitec options.

Have you looked at a valve controlled exhaust with replacement sports cats?

3. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Robert I have not done that setup - mostly because the majority of our clients seem to be going with either the complete cat replacement or only the exhaust. I will see if we can give it a try in the near future though.

4. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks Alex

5. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Thanks - It might be a hot minute but stay tuned haha.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The cat delete #3 sounds pretty good!
    Spider on order for Q1....

:)

ItalianexoticsMIA likes this.
  7. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    SHOULD BE AMAZING :) Cant Wait!

8. Gabe@TAG

Gabe@TAG Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Vista, CA
    #8 Gabe@TAG, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Novitec Catless Downpipes and Novitec Valved Exhaust System for this 488!!

We’ve got systems in stock!!!!

Videos coming soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #9 Alex@TAG, May 25, 2017
    TAG Motorsports

Wrapped up another 488 recently here at TAG. This one featured the complete Novitec Aero package, as well as the Stage 2 Engine Package. This included the Novitec N-Tronic ECU Upgrade, The Novitec Cat Delete Pipes, as well as the Novitec Valved Exhaust System. It sounded amazing! Had a lot more gargles and pops than the Non-Valved system however it did not have as much turbo spool noise. The other amazing benefit was the ability to quiet the system down when you wanted by using the optional in-cabin Switchtronic Remote Control.

Currently Novitec is at a 12-14 week lead time on the exhausts however we here at TAG have them ON THE SHELF ready to ship out or install on your vehicle! Give us a call if you have ANY Questions and i would be more than happy to help you out! Or visit our website at www.tagmotorsports.com

10. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    Sounds good. I prefer more gargles and less turbo. Do you have any video of the car driving with that same setup? And will you get the same sound if you don't use the ECU package?

-Chris

11. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    #11 Alex@TAG, May 26, 2017
    Chris - So here is the car with the stage 2 package with the valved controlled exhaust (with the valves open). You can see this having a lot more deep and rumbly sound than the non-valved Race Exhaust. This vehicle has the cat replacement pipes as well.

This vehicle shows just the valved exhaust with the stock cat system.

Give me a call or shoot us an Email/PM if you have any questions. I have had quite a bit of seat time in the cars with both systems so I can help and give more insight if needed :)

12. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Love the valved catless setup Alex. Sounds incredible! Are they any horse power gains without the tune. I guess the issue is it will through a light.

13. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    So there is about a 30-50HP Gain without software on there. The Novitec TechTronic unit eliminates the Check Engine Light (with or without the tune) so you dont have anything to worry about in that department!

Lets get it done!

14. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Cant wait!

15. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Only a few more week wait :) haha

16. TAGMotorsports

TAGMotorsports Formula Junior
    Sponsor

TAG Motorsports

We Have some new Novitec Music to share!!

Here is a video of our 488 Spider with the Novitec Exhaust that DOES NOT have the Flap Regulation(no valves). We were able to give you some sounds of strong pulls, normal driving, start up and of course standing revs.

This can be found HERE on our site.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMpXE4ip-xI[/ame]

We also made a quick video to show the Novitec Switchtronic Exhaust Valve Controller on the 458. But we have this for the 488 as well. Works on any exhaust including the OEM exhaust.
    This can be found HERE on our site.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtPq1_IbKA[/ame]

17. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Just got another batch of exhausts in stock! Give us a call or PM me for more information :)

18. TAGMotorsports

Sponsor

19. TAGMotorsports

Sponsor

20. TAGMotorsports

Sponsor

21. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    #22 Sean@TAG, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Another Batch of Cat replacement pipes is on the way for anyone ready to take the tone to the next level!! Order yours HERE today!!

22. TAGMotorsports

Sponsor

Update! We have a 488 Exhaust IN STOCK with the flaps (valves). You can purchase HERE

23. TAGMotorsports

Sponsor

We have some more of these in stock! Please inquire with us about any questions, videos, and pictures.

24. cayenne_ksa

cayenne_ksa Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    denver, SAUDI
    Thanks for sharing this info.
    If cats delete + x muffler is 10 out of 10
    What would you rate cats delete + valves muffler ?

I expect them to be the same in terms of noise level with different tone of each

Personally I like X in most system it makes the sound more refined and high pitch. But I noticed with X the sound a bit quieter. For this reason they might be same in terms of noise level.