456 GT vs 456M GT | FerrariChat

456 GT vs 456M GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Dutchman, Oct 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Hi Guys,

I am looking at a few 2+2 options. The options range form a P 911, Maser 4200 GT to the 456 GT family. I have been looking in the archives but am still curious to hear about the differences between the 456 GT and the M GT. Is it the same thing as with the Testarossa and the 512 TR? Is the M a "better" car?

Thanks,

Ton

paulchua likes this.
  2. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I think there are a couple of significant differences. The hood was changed to eliminate the scoops/cooling vents on both sides. I don't think it's an improvement personally. Also, the grille is changed in samll ways. The only mechanical difference I'm aware of is a change to the firing sequence that didn't affect performance. They supposedly fixed the vexing window alignment issues that had been cause for many expensive retro-repairs. BY now all of the earlier cars should have had this done, though. I've heard (but have never confirmed) that the problem carried over the the Ms.

paulchua and SonomaRik like this.
  3. LTChip

LTChip Rookie

Oct 20, 2006
    Looking at these too and I am not sure but it is my understanding that the M's have traction control and OBDII which might be good features to have.

I do like the earlier hoods though. Plus the earlier models are already close to bottomed out in depreciation I think. You can get them in the $65-75K range.

I am 6-12 months from pulling the trigger though so I have plenty of time to learn and find the right car for me.

4. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    Bodywork

- Carbon fibre bonnet.
    - The bonnet has a smooth design, without air outlets, which interrupt the aerodynamic flow.
    - The front air intake is larger; fog lights are inside the intake itself.
    - When seen from above, the front view is more rounded than the previous model.
    - Front indicators are separate from the position lights and placed aside, in a lateral area of the bumper.
    - Rear bumper with integrated spoiler, in the lower area, replacing the mobile wing of the previous model. The bumper upper profile houses a moulding, for easier opening of the rear luggage compartment.
    - Side window mouldings.
    - Wheels with new centre caps depicting a chromium-plated “Cavallino”.

Interior

- Seats with 5 electrical adjustments and position memory (forward-backward, up0down, lumbar adjustment, 2 seat back tilt directions).
    - Rear seat comfort and passenger space have been improved.
    - Added retractable rear seat central armrest.

Instruments

- Installation of a multi-function display, detecting operating and emergency information and the outside temperature.
    - Newly designed dashboard.
    - Under-dashboard console with analogue instruments. They include clock, oil temperature and fuel level indicators.
    - Sun radiation sensor.
    - More ergonomic gearbox lever position.
    - Transmission tunnel with cubbyhole.
    - Three-spoke steering wheel.
    - Document pockets behind front seats.
    - New rear parcel shelf, with integrated rear brake light.
    - New Hi-Fi system.
    - Reduction of interior noise

Suspension & Brakes

- Suspension system with independent shock absorbers, with two-position calibration system (Normal and Sport).
    - Front shock absorbers with low friction co-efficient, with software tuning, designed to get higher driving precision and comfort on uneven roads.
    - Rear shock absorbers with stern speed control software.
    - New anti-drive geometry to front links, to limit diving.
    - Use of the ASR traction control system, with integral ABS and electronic rear braking corrector (EBC).
    - Pneumatic brake booster to improve pedal feel under braking.

Engine & Gearbox

- Modified cylinder-firing order, for smoother performance.
    - Larger ducts for sending air to the engine compartments.
    - Use of hydraulic supports between transmission housing and frame (only GTA version).
    - Stiffer transmission frame (only GTA version).
    - Stiffer transmission shaft sleeve (only GTA version).

redcaruser, paulchua and Qavion like this.
  5. LTChip

LTChip Rookie

Oct 20, 2006
    Thanks for posting! That's the best list of differences I have seen.

paulchua likes this.
  6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for posting that list!

One thing to consider is that 456Ms and 97 456GTs had keyless entry, while 95 456GTs did not.

My opinion is that the 97 456GT is the best of both worlds, with 456GT styling, OBD-II, and keyless entry. Good luck finding a manual transmission, though.

paulchua likes this.
  7. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The M is definitely a better developed, more refined car.
    I prefer the looks of the earlier model, but technically, mechanically and practically, the M is definitely better.
    Saluti,

philfrench likes this.
  8. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    I'm looking for an automatic, Rosso Rubino/ tan - any Rosso will work. Car is fo my wife. Have been looking, but with limited success. Any leads? Thanks

9. tarzancoe

tarzancoe Karting

Oct 2, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    JM
  10. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    There are several around, although I do not know about your choice of colour.
    I fact, there are more automatics than 6 speed.
    Shelton in Ft. Laud. has one in black / tan.
    In Miami there is Formula one that had one in silver a while ago.
    Also you may want to check www.Ferraribuy.com.
    Good luck,
    Saluti,

11. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Ton,

I'm not sure that there are as many difference between the 456 GT and the M than between a testarossa and a 512 TR. (Maybe like a 512 TR and a 512 M ?)

I would say that, the 456 GT looks better than the M.
    The interior of the M is improved and i think that this is the biggest difference.

But i'm not sure than those improvements worth the price difference ...

12. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Ton, I have recently bought a '95 GT and trust me, now I wish I had scrunged up a bit more money and bought an M instead.
    I also like the looks of the Gt better than the M, but looks are only skin deep and the HP difference is not noticeable IMO, but everything else adds up and matters at the end of the day.
    The GT is somewhat basic and even rough around the edges by today standards (no remote door locks, no traction control, A/C is marginal, the electric fans are extremely noisy, just to name a few).
    The engine is plenty powerful, the drivetrain is solid, but so is the M and it has those conveniences and safety features (the traction control) we are used to and we have learned to appreciate.
    Most important advantage though is the fact that many of the shortcomings of the first series have been corrected in the M series.
    Of course this is just my opinion though.
    Saluti,

paulchua and SonomaRik like this.
  13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Random question for the 456 nerds...

Can anyone tell me if a shift gate for a 456 (manual) would also fit a 456M? Parts catalogue shows a different part number between the two, but it wouldn't be the first time Ferrari have done this for no real reason. Oh, and the question relates to RHD cars specifically for what its worth.

Thanks guys.

14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Robin,

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think they’re the exact same dimensions.
    While the shape is the same, the actual shifter is different on each car.

I’ll bet Ferrparts knows for sure.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    not sure about the comment on M having "Carbon fibre bonnet" as my older GT had Kevlar w/ CF. Was there a material difference between the two?

16. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    No, it’s not a carbon fibre bonnet

17. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Sorry, I do not understand the terms. Yes, it is some kind of composite structure, I thought it was carbon fibre, but if it is glass fibre, kevlar composite, then fine. Anyways it is not steel nor aluminum. :) On mine there is the Pininfarina #body number on the inside, I think most would have the same for production / paint shop needs.

Back on original topic, I think it's a matter of taste. I work on my cars so I wanted the simpler, original 456 GT, no airbags, no electronic fobs, no need for computers.
    And I like the looks and the early steering wheel, but maybe it's just me. ;)

Cheers!

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Pekka,
    I prefer the interior of the M, including the steering wheel, but like the bonnet of the 456 with the air scoops. I had intended to put an early bonnet on my M (they are interchangeable), but the 456 wasn’t offered with fender shields. Since then, I have grown to appreciate the smooth bonnet.

fridolin_pt likes this.
  19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My 2003 456M is indeed a carbon fiber bonnett. The M's are not fiberglass or Kevlar, they are CF.