My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I use the Auto only to allow temperatures to come up, then its manual :) But 7th gear is cool to engage when cops are around

It does feel a bigger car and I believe most of that feeling is the fact of no massive centre consol.

BTW going electrochromatic mirrors is the steering wheel movement electric ? Mines electric but I have the full electric seats also.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sam: Congratulations and best of luck on your stunningly gorgeous 488.

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sam,

Your car is absolutely gorgeous.

Enjoy in good health!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Great review Sam.

Concur on the engine. There isn't another FI engine on the market that minimizes lag like the powerplant in the 488.

My only gripe with the 488 is that the brakes are a bit too grabby in daily driving, but can feel a bit spongy (not overheating spongy, but just long travel spongy) on track.

5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks buddy :)

Thanks Nuno! Feels good to be a Ferrari owner, kind of surreal and a long time dream achieved.. now praying for a GP win :)

Thanks dude. The engine is wild, I don't know if everyone has just gotten used to it or what but this engine is insane and addictive. Just playing around with the throttle, it feels very NA because if I touch the gas pedal I lurch forward, and if I let off the gas to coast it engine brakes hard and is not very smooth, keeping the response just about as instant as I want it. Whole new dimension of power for me coming from the 4.0 flat 6

Forgot to mention the brakes in my write up - I'm not the biggest fan of them, maybe I need to bed them in some way some how, my experience was the opposite of yours for daily driving. They feel very spongy is a good way to put it. These are supposed to be LaF derived carbon ceramic brakes and they remind me of braking in my father's '97 993. Even the steel brakes on my 911 feel more responsive and have more bite. They don't hold a candle to the PCCB from Porsche, miss those. And tire temps were hot, brakes were used deliberately on open stretches to warm rotor/pads everything, so everything should have been warm

On my drive up I slammed the brakes hard to avoid hitting a poor little squirrel skirting across the road and turned him into road kill because the brakes wouldn't bite hard enough to my surprise

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. That's interesting, and a bit odd.

The 991 GT3 PCCBs were pretty linear, although still a bit overboosted for my liking.

The 488 ceramic brakes on my car almost have a "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" personality. Overboosted in stop/go traffic and a bit underboosted on track (almost like the brakes on a McLaren where you have to stomp on them to get the car to stop).

Maybe try to bed them in with a couple of 50-10 stops. Or maybe its because your pads are still so new. Who knows.

jcognetta and sampelligrino like this.
  7. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I literally can’t stop looking at your car. It is frickin beautiful. I look at this thread almost everyday. What a combination!

MANDALAY and sampelligrino like this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Same here. And I’d like to point something out that Sam did extremely well imvho and it’s not nearly as easy as one may think upon just looking at the finished product: classy specs are rarer and much harder to configure than one comes to realize most of the time.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Took the car out for a cruise up the PCH during sunset, this car is wicked I'm having a blast!

turns out you are spot on and I am wrong after taking the car out for a quick drive again today

Brakes actually bite very good on the street/daily driving situations, they are just a bit harder to modulate smoothly in my experience. Driving through the middle of CA was, looking back on it, was more *cough cough* like track driving where under warm/hot conditions they were quite sloppy/smushy/spongy which I didn't like, just did not instill confidence in the car under hard braking scenarios

Haha thanks bro, appreciate it!

Thanks again my friend. Funny story /memory for me because I had only a couple of days to spec the car once I found an open allocation with 488 GTB production ending imminently and only demo builds left available which were locking at a moment's notice. So maybe it worked to my benefit that I had less time to agonize and go back and forth on certain choices, and just send it for exactly what I wanted and had in mind!

I always admired how classy and elegant Ferraris of old looked, and hoped to bring some of that to the current era with my titanio over cuoio spec. It doesn't show up well in pictures, and even less so in pics in low lighting, but I really like the thick cuoio sella stitching on the cuoio leather. You have to see it in person to appreciate how complementary the colors are, creating a nice/discreet touch for a very similar interior tone. Especially on the beautifully stitched leather headliner, need to grab a pic of that at some point

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tickerhound, stavura, Chizz and 2 others like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I am amazed at the number of cars that I see with the forged alloys , heaps of carbon etc then look up and see a corolla rear view mirror and a roof lining that looks like a scouring pad. Classy , way to go

11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Dang it you are just rubbing it in now!!! Holy Cow absolutely beautiful car and sunset.

12. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Eventually try out the feature while braking say 7th gear coming to a left hand turn pull on the left lever and watch how it goes down to the best gear automatically. Just hold the lever.

Love the burbles approaching lights in second gear.

14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #114 sampelligrino, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Crossed 1000 mi on the odo in about a week's time...I guess more than some owners do in a year, or during their entire ownership. Different strokes for different folks but this car is becoming more and more enjoyable to me as I continue to understand and get a feel for the 488. Did an amazing white knuckled drive blasting through some incredible roads/scenery today in beautiful Southern California. It's a brilliant experience. I'm now more comfortable with the power and pushing the car through corners. Actually using the car as intended hopefully, short of full blown tracking. Calling it good for break-in

More observations:

- bumpy road setting is awesome, a discernible difference making the ride much more comfortable/supple

- Paddle action way better/more satisfying than Porsche's PDK mini paddles, and don't mind them mounted to steering column

- I still wish the steering wheel would come out further to me for a better driving position without having to move the seat even more forward/crunch my legs more

- Knock on wood the car has been performing brilliantly and I'm pushing it pretty hard in hot temps for over 4 hours today, saw >95 during some stretches

- Passenger seat unoccupied and the belt buckle keeps rattling/hitting the CF backside of the seat. Will need to buckle it in I guess, my seats don't have the F12/812 loop on the shoulder to hold the belt in place

- 8k redline :) Feels like I got a special gift lol. Can only speak for my car but I was driving a bit briskly and for a split second thought I saw the tach needle hit a red number. Ok, lets slow down and be sure. Sure enough, race mode 3rd gear slam the throttle and glance down very very quickly: my tach needle is hitting about 8k (I don't want to let it bounce off rev limiter, so to be scientific sure maybe I should call it 7900/7950 as I'm shifting to 4th but that's fine with me). No way on Earth will I be able to get a picture or video, I'm just holding on for dear life with both hands already as it is

- Engine does feel like it's running out of breath around 7-7300 RPM, but I don't mind because I am already getting amazing sound from 3k RPM when valves open and what feels like full power down there. I used to run my GT3 in 2nd gear all the time so I could feel the pull and scream past 7k RPM to 9K, but don't need or want to do that with my 488 and I'm liking it all the same

- Got to my first tunnel and dropped the windows. The sounds from the engine under full load are amazing, same for downshifts

- Got my first scrape. Was out for a small night cruise last night even though I was a bit tired. Wasn't paying attention leaving a gas station that there was a dip before the street and didn't have lift up (paying attention merging into traffic), nicked the underside. Glad I have the lifter, using it most times I'm driving as a precaution and the gas station experience tells me even the 4x4 ride height of the car sometimes is not enough. First cut is the deepest and now glad to get it out of the way

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2817914 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

tickerhound, TR007, Chizz and 8 others like this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Drive the snot out of it!! Congrats!

16. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sam. The interior of your car is so classy, so warm and inviting. Just gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Sam, truly happy to see you enjoying your car as much as you are. That’s what it’s all about.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sam,

Great review, feels like I was there!

I’m very happy to know you’re enjoying the car as Enzo intended, and that it is performing flawlessly. It was inspiring to read.

And the pictures? Just wow. California, baby!

You’ve just hit 1.000 miles. I wish you many more thousands of happiness behind the wheel of that gorgeous 488!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

Stunning car. Thanks for posting.

PS I Believe you.

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Looks like highway 33?

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sam,

You’re making this thread one of the nicest ever 488 threads in this community.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    turns out I might be going this route Jim - funny how I was dismissive of it at first but likely going to eat crow now

First scrape on the underside has me now thinking about getting this done @ Ferrari South Bay. Service advisor (Chris - he's awesome) says many clients have opted for it, saying roughly $1400 all in after ordering the kit, labor, taxes etc

Because I'm driving the car heavily and in all sorts of environments, will likely get this done soon before even more scrapes happen. Will help me feel better with something plastic there (makes me really appreciate Porsche's tactic with the replaceable plastic front lip)

Do you have the scrape armor installed? Have any pics of it/is it detectable or visible at all from ordinary angles?

yep. Heaven on Earth, did 33 to Lockwood Valley. Wanted to do the full loop and take Cuddy Valley, but ran out of time thinking I could beat 405 traffic. Was wrong and got clobbered anyways

Based on those numbers one might, or might not, be able to make the argument that I was :) Have never been much of a track rat, I liken it to cocaine... might be hard to stop if I started! I would like to get the car on a skid pad of sorts though, to start playing around with CT/ESC off settings and learn more about the car. Might wait for a rainy day and head for an empty parking lot (if such a thing exists in LA)

Haha thanks Nuno! Never really kept a journal of sorts for a car before, but figured this might be a good place to start with the first Ferrari and share with anyone interested

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Scrape :( hate to hear that.

Didn't you have the Xpel under the front spoilers ?

25. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    First scrape on the underside has me now thinking about getting this done @ Ferrari South Bay. Service advisor (Chris - he's awesome) says many clients have opted for it, saying roughly $1400 all in after ordering the kit, labor, taxes etc

Because I'm driving the car heavily and in all sorts of environments, will likely get this done soon before even more scrapes happen. Will help me feel better with something plastic there (makes me really appreciate Porsche's tactic with the replaceable plastic front lip)

Do you have the scrape armor installed? Have any pics of it/is it detectable or visible at all from ordinary angles?

I do have it installed on my car. My first car I had the dealer install per his recommendation. My second car (used) scrape armor was not mentioned during the purchase discussions. I took possession and looked briefly underneath and did not notice it. So, took it to my dealer and they pointed out to my (stupidity) that it WAS installed.

Based on those numbers one might, or might not, be able to make the argument that I was :) Have never been much of a track rat, I liken it to cocaine... might be hard to stop if I started! I would like to get the car on a skid pad of sorts though, to start playing around with CT/ESC off settings and learn more about the car. Might wait for a rainy day and head for an empty parking lot (if such a thing exists in LA)

Did not post the numbers to convert you into a track rat :) ! But to fully appreciate the performance it certainly is a relatively safe venue to enjoy said performance. I do not use a timer or data collection, so am not trying to improve times or anything like that. I do have a GoPro for enjoying the track time at a later time.

Haha thanks Nuno! Never really kept a journal of sorts for a car before, but figured this might be a good place to start with the first Ferrari and share with anyone interested[/QUOTE]