Probably the Alternator | FerrariChat

Probably the Alternator

Discussion in '308/328' started by gte619n, Aug 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Hey fellas,

I was hoping that someone might have some insight into an issue with my '78 GTB. The battery won't charge and the car, in fact, keeps ruining batteries so that they won't even take a charge with the trickle. I didn't get a chance to monitor the voltage at the terminals coming through but I have some weird symptoms while driving. The scenario is:
    1. Defective Battery Installed (Interstate)
    2. Start the car with jump box
    3. Drive around, the tachometer bounces all over the place
    4. The horn only works while revving the engine
    5. Blinkers/Caution lights only work when revving the engine (>~2000rpm)
    I assume the alternator is dead, but I was wondering if this could be a regulator issue? If so, where is that guy located and is there a non-yellow box replacement?

Thanks!

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First you can take the battery to your local auto parts store and they can test and check your battery if it’s defective or not, second, the voltage regulator is located behind the alternator held by two screws.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put a multi meter on the battery- you should be getting about 14 volts assuming it is charging. Put the head lights on and see if it maintains the voltage. I know the mondial and not your but principle applies. Other post says voltage regulator is behind alternator, is this a sealed electronic box or an adjustable unit

4. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    so many things here!

always do inexpensive things first....

As stated above, check the battery at your auto parts store

basics -
    check that everything is properly connected. - including at the starter - an easy place to miss a key power connection!
    Make sure those connections are tight and without corrosion (it makes a big difference)
    check your ground connections. They might need a good cleaning.

Based on how long this is happening it could mean you need a alternator rebuild. If you can remove your own alternator, and bring it to a specific alternator shop, they are usually under $100.

then you might start checking for a draw of sorts...

If so, there is some type of draw and that's where it gets more interesting and more skill is needed. Look for a specific automotive electronics expert in your area...

I am a huge fan of Paul's 308 wiring diagram - a wonderful investment - have one professionally printed out large and laminate it.

http://www.ferrari308gtbi.com/Wiring308.php

5. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Hey fellas,

WIRING DIAGRAM ORDERED. That is great and I've been searching for one!

Thanks for the tips. I've removed the battery and put it on the CTek. It errors out on Step 5 when doing either charge or recondition mode, so think the battery is toast. My main question is can that regulator be accessed and tested (or replaced) without removing the alternator? Removing it is no big deal but I just HATE draining the coolant!

Thanks,

E

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's all connected as one unit. You'll have to remove the alternator. I would also have it inspected and rebuild it, if necessary.

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The regulator is external, it can be removed without taking out the alternator, however it would be a bigger pita to do so, so yeah, remove the alternator. The alternator is buried in that corner... Pita job even with a lift. Mondial is far easier only because the fuel tank isn't in the way.

Grounds are important, very much so. Make sure all grounds are clean. Odd as it may sound, electron current flow is from negative to positive, that's why grounds are so important. Most electrical bugs are due to poor grounds.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    And just for the sake of safety, be sure you don't have the battery connected when you remove the alternator.

9. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Alright. Thanks guys!

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Rebuilding the alternator is easier than taking it out. Check out my blog here on Fchat “Derek’s 308”