start up engine dialogue says: "Service".. | FerrariChat

start up engine dialogue says: "Service"..

Discussion in '360/430' started by shubchs, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    On start up a engine dialogue indicator says "service". I last had a full service done just 18 months ago (oil, breaks fluid in all areas). what could this check engine light mean? It does not go out when I drive, and the car (F430 Spider) drives faultlessly.

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    ... Service is typically done annually regardless of miles. This isn't a Toyota.

AClark likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trev- I am basically of the opinion that any car needs an annual oil change, especially Ferraris.

Steve- Have her serviced and your tech can turn off the service lamp.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is no service reminder system in an F430. You have to be more clear about what other lights are coming on with your "service" warning. Read your owners manual to see what the warning lights look like.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Why especially a Ferrari? Because of the value versus risk? It is an interesting subject about annual oil changes with vehicles that often see very little use. Here is what was said by the folks at Blackstone Laboratories (oil analysis) on the subject of annual oil changes for cars that may only see a few hundred miles a year. For context, start listening at around 9:55 I don't discount that an annual service can still be worthwhile, to get the car on a lift, and inspect for leaks and other possible issues. Perform a brake fluid change, etc. But the habit of annual oil changes may not be absolutely necessary under low mileage use.

mwstewart likes this.
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I completely agree with the above.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My opinion remains unfazed.

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Trev, you really need to start working on your remote, ESP based OBD code reader for posts like these that keep popping up.

Seriously guys, get a code reader. Nobody on a message forum can help you with a code or a warning light if we don't know what it is.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is no Service reminder indicator message on a 430. The only thing that says "Service" on the dash is when there is a problem with the TPMS system. The dash will display a U-shaped icon (the cross-section of a tire) with "Service" below it. RTFM!

f355spider likes this.
  10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Steve (the OP) stopped over and yes, it was a TPMS fault.

11. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    Im a fairly new 360 owner. What is the best code reader under $1000? As I understood it the code readers can only read the Primary ECU and are unable to read the second one and the TCU? Is there any that will read all of them?

12. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Get yourself any old OBD II connection device, and then OBD Fusion app. This allows you to access both ECUs.

The Launch x431 will work for the TCU on later version 360 TCU (at or beyond 191701 I believe) as well as the CS TCU (196986)

Kevin

FantasiaForest likes this.
  13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I use the Foxwell, they have the NT510 and the NT250, both can come preloaded with Ferrari specific codes, they will not read the TCU, ABS, or Airbag system. We have a guy here, @360trev who is working on an affordable system that will do all..

FantasiaForest likes this.