Has anyone gone from an F430 to a California? | FerrariChat

Has anyone gone from an F430 to a California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, May 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My story is probably pretty typical ... I've owned numerous Porsche 911s for many years, have always wanted a Ferrari, and recently acquired a terrific rosso corsa/beige 06 F430 Berlinetta with the rare and coveted 6-speed manual transmission. The car has just 5000 miles on it and it is terrific to drive, powerful, fast, a beast, wonderful engine sounds. Certified car with the New Power warranty, etc.

However, I'm not sure it's the best fit for me on another level; my wife was overseas when the car unexpectedly came up locally, and knowing how rare they are, I pounced on it. This was not a surprise to her; she is totally supportive of having a Ferrari in the family, but she does not want to even sit in the F430 much less take weekend trips in it ... she thinks it's beautiful but it's too much like a race car for her to feel comfortable in. (Now, in my previous marriage, that would have been a major plus ... LOL.) She's telling me, "You've always wanted it, just go enjoy it."

The other car I was considering at the time was the California 30, which I think would be less intimidating to her and might be a better fit in the garage. I don't think I'll have much trouble finding the F430 a new home, either on a swap with a Cali owner, or through the dealer, or just selling it outright. But I'm wondering if anyone has owned both cars and might care to comment on how adeptly the California delivers the comfortable GT experience where my wife and I might take it somewhere for a weekend, and still provide the Ferrari experience on the back roads, even if not quite the way the F430 does. From what I've read, it seems to deliver on both counts.

I think if the F430 were a Spider she might feel differently about it, as she did enjoy the various 911 cabriolets I've owned. But the chances of finding a 3 pedal Spider in similar condition are slim, and I do not want to take on a car with the F1 transmission. I think a California 30 in the color combination I'm interested in (red, white, or grigio silverstone with cuoio Daytonas) is fairly widely available.

I am really loving the 6 speed manual on this car, but my previous 911 was a 991 with a PDK (my first non 3-pedal Porsche) and it was great, so I'm not troubled at all going with the DCT which I enjoyed on the two test drives I took in the California.

Any thoughts appreciated. As far as she's concerned, I should just keep the horse I have, but ... what might you do?

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have owned neither. Have driven a Cali and it wasn't as fun as my 360 spider. There is a reason some call it teh Galifornia. Popular with the ladies.

If you love a manual doesn't sound to me like the Cali will make you happy. If every time you drive it will you miss the mt?

Now the 458 spider is much more fun to drive than the Cali and my wife likes it. Magneride is a Cali must. And we have two other cars with mt so i can scratch that itch any time.

Drive a Cali and see how you like it. Front engine cars just don't handle like a rear mid-engine car.

Best

3. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is not based on personal experience. The tug of war between your wife being put off by a street legal race car and another Ferrari first has to answer the question of whether she would be okay in a California. Driving her to test drive a Cali in the 430 gives her a back to back comparison. In terms of speed, here is a link on track performance for both cars, plus the Porches you have owned. Good luck.
    Vairano Handling Course lap records - FastestLaps.com

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Excellent idea, Don. The track links are interesting but don't seem to indicate transmission type -- F1, PDK, etc.

I used to live in Wichita but never saw a Ferrari on the streets. I was running around the back roads in an 87 930 at the time. Should've kept it.

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    slightly different view/question -

What about your 430 does your wife like, or not like?

My wife initially was very supportive of us getting a 458, but as it turns out she was wildly intimidated by the car, so was tentative about driving it.

I sent her to the Ferrari Driving Experience/Corso Pilota school in Mont Tremblant and her comfort and confidence in the car increased 1,000% (she's now been 5 times, mostly in the advanced class, and has tried a few laps in my race car). As a driver, her skills are now very very competent, and her confidence in the F-cars is huge. (to wit; she drives our Speciale more than I do).

Your wife may/may not want to drive the 6-speed, but the "experience" at the school must have a 99%+ success rate of sticking the needle in everyone's arm about enjoying these cars, so perhaps she'll enjoy the car more.

I have a friend who owns a spectacular 599 HGTE, his wife doesn't like the stiff ride (whereas my wife, now "trained", loves the Speciale, which is far from cushy).

Cali is a great car, but it's more "normal" and will be familiar. Great car, but your 430 is a completely different animal. 6-speed? as noted, you'll have little challenge selling it but how much do you love it?

I might try sending your wife to Tremblant - it's pure VIP all the way, the instructors work to the capability of the individual student, very individualized, probably the best $$ I spent in this entire Ferrari experience towards making it a "family" passion vs. some car my wife tolerated.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    ^^^

That sums it up pretty well!

She has never driven a manual before, so she won't be actually driving it. I need to entice her to just get in it somehow ... perhaps I should say "Let's take the Ferrari over to Hermes today."

That's great input, though, thanks!

7. Mbob3

Mbob3 Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    I have not owned a 430, but for what it is worth, I own a California T and a brand X V10 6mt. My wife enjoys riding in both, but she is more comfortable in the California T which is a great car both for cruising and spirited driving. If I could keep only one, however, the Cali would go. I'm a 3 pedal dinosaur and the 6mt is a far more engaging ride for me.

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Piling on (again, sorry). This topic relevant to me since our agreement on cars was we'd only buy if we would both drive

I recently picked up a mildly hot-rodded Fiat Abarth. Been teaching my wife to drive a manual gearbox....it's been fun. She's getting there....and enjoying it.

One thing about driving her in the Ferrari, I made sure at first to drive it "normally" - i.e. eliminate any concerns that I was going to hit Mach 1 out of the driveway.

This may sound crazy (and it will sound expensive) but perhaps you BOTH do the driving school together. First time my wife went there was a husband/wife, it makes for a spectacular getaway and they had a common understanding of the cars.

If you advise the staff ahead of time, they can really focus on increasing her comfort and confidence. When/if you book the school, have Jeff Garlock (Ferrari NA Concierge) ask to have the course director contact you before hand, or even speak with your wife, so they can plan accordingly and excite her (i.e. calm any nerves)

They run the school to have FUN - complete opposite of scare people - and in fact are very good at dealing with anyone who thinks they need to prove they should have Vettel's F1 seat

9. Terrible expert

Terrible expert Karting

Sep 10, 2012
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Kev W
    LOL!!!!!

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Driving a manual takes time to become really proficient. Be especially careful with a hot car because if the other person makes a mistake on an aggressive downshift and skips 2 gears it could get painful and costly. It's always better to learn in a slower less expensive car.

IMO, novice+aggressiveness+hot car+6MT not a safe combination.

11. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    #11 Gofast430, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I currently own a 2007 F1 430 Spider and a 2013 California. THEY ARE ENTIRELY
    DIFFERENT CARS.
    That being said, set up properly, they are both fantastic to drive in any situation. I usually take the 430 when doing spirited driving and the Cali when cruising. They will BOTH handle
    either type of driving perfectly.
    Can't go wrong with either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing likes this.
  12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Vic,
    My first was a 430 coming from Porsches. It wasn't practical for me bc I am usually stuck w my 2 kids (absolutely no regrets). The 430 hooked me into the F family and so the Cali or even a 612 was a better alternative for me. I traded into a Cali and it is just fine. Still exotic, still breathtaking, still a looker as was the 430, and but yes slightly understated so not so many kids go berserk. My wife too was intimidated with the 430, for the 6 months I owned it she wasn't in it once, the Cali though much more approachable a lot of nice family runs. I now have a Cali T coming in. That said when the kids are old enough to be alone, I will want to go back to the race car style.

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks, guys. Great input. (Al, I grew up in Scarsdale.)

The more I drive the 430 the tougher it is to think about parting with it, but I am talking to a couple of dealers about Californias.

14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sounds like a plan.

Small world, Where in Scarsdale, I'm on Drake for 18 yrs. And about where in RI are you now?, I have a place in Charlestown too.

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Cotswold ... and East Greenwich. It is a small world. Well, especially in Rhode Island.

Some of the Calis I'm looking at have the HGTE package, need to do some homework on that but seems like a good upgrade.

16. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    vic:
    i had a 430 spider and then moved up to the 458 spider.
    my wife refused to drive either car and only on occasion would she ride as a passenger.
    i purchased a '14 cali 8 months ago and my wife loves it.
    and she drives it.
    i kept my 458, but it gets used less often.
    the 458 has better handling, something a front engine car will never attain.
    but the cali is much easier to enter and exit, is somewhat less exotic and less intimidating for some to drive.

17. 1slocrx

1slocrx Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I switched from a 360 to a 2012 Cali. Its much more useful and friendly as a DD or weekend car plus I have more kids than what the car will hold, so it was more useful than the 360. As far as driving dynamics, I cant get close to the limit on the street. The 360 saw the track a few times, the Cali has never seen the track, so that will tell you a bit right there. The wife will not touch the Cali, actually hates it. She would rather drive the 918.

18. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I thought I wanted a 430 Spider, until getting to drive one for 2 days. After having a 6 sp 355 Spider, I hoped they had fixed the F1 head bob I had noticed when driving a 550 F1 6 years ago. It was definitely better, but it soured me on the F1 for good. Also noticed that at age 63, and overweight, it seemed tougher to get in and out of than our 355 had been.
    Found out the 612 Scag has the old school tranny, so it was out as well.

That got me thinking about driving a front engine Ferrari, to check out the DCT transmission. Drove a 2014 California that next Saturday, and absolutely loved it. Plenty of power for this old drag racer, and a smooth transmission experience whether cruising or hitting redline. Took my car partner back to try it last weekend, and as much as he wanted us to consider the 458, which has that tranny now, he is sold on the California for our needs. We both have grandkids, and you can fit a kid carseat in that small back seat, when needed. Much easier to get in and out of than the 430, and going topless in 15 seconds doesn't suck either.

Now, to start the search for a 2012 or newer, so you get the free service for several more years, and can add on a factory warranty if we so desire.

Go drive one, and see what you think.

Manda racing likes this.
  19. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks guys ... I have driven a few of them now, was impressed with the car. Power seems comparable. Totally different feel but still engaging. I am enjoying the manual transmission on the 430 but as I said, after driving manual 911s for decades I was quite happy with the PDK in my 991 (traded it for the 430) so the DCT does not give me pause at all. Have my eye on a 13 and a pair of 14s.

Got the wife to actually sit in the 430 today ... "It's so low."

I said, "Want to go for a ride?"

"No, thanks."

I did have some fun belting it around the back roads this afternoon by myself. But after daily driving 911s for years (in fair weather) ... the Cali might have been the better choice and gotten more use. I went and bagged myself a unicorn instead.

20. SuperMagnetMan

Jul 4, 2014
    I fully understand the wife issues:) Mine will only ride in my 2014 Cali 30 on my birthday or other super special reason. She does not like the traditional Ferrari sound nor does she like the tight seats. Two reasons for the seats - she has had both hips replaced and is definitely could lose some weight and fit better. I test drove the Cali T and the first thing I noticed was the traditional sound was much more muted and the seats were easily a couple of inches wider before the taper and fits much better. I think if I had gotten a Cali T she would have loved it a lot more. So if the sporty cars are a problem - the T seems to be a real beast with a much more appealing personality.:) I really liked either but since this was my first and the multi-year wait did not appeal to me at all to get a T, I have really loved my 30.

21. Nexxas

Nexxas Rookie

Jul 15, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Fabian Alexander
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in both a 2008 F430 Spyder F1 and 2014 California. I have read they both perform great, with the California having the newer, better shifting transmission. But having always owned cars that were a maximum of 4 years old, how does the F430 hold up to the more modern design and tech? I recently drove a new 488 Spyder for 24 hours but can't remember what it was like driving the F430 a couple years ago.
    I am still a few months away but doing my research, and I appreciate any feedback whatsoever. Cheers!

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    2 different cars for 2 different needs/wants.
    After owning both , if I had to go back to one again, I'd go for a '14 Cali over an '08 430 spider. I prefer state of the art over old school, I like bells & whistles, I like video screen, nav & cool radio. I like the extra room in Cali although the 430's front boot is large. 430 is more raw and sporty for sure. I think both expose you to similar depreciation rate, repairs and maintenance costs, but if that matters then a Ferrari is not a good choice.

Good luck with your research.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  23. dnk

dnk Rookie

Apr 18, 2017
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Kim
    Yes i recently moved from F430 Spyder to Cali. Love it. F430 is nice but i rarely drove the car since I was always worried about any potential issues. Cali makes me feel like I am driving porsche. I feel more reliable and comfortable. My wife can drive cali ow and she didnt want to even sit in my F430.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you like the 430, especially as a gated car, there is no way the Cali will even come close to feeling as fun and special.

As for your wife? Not sure what's going on there. I can understand why she might not like the idea about driving it. But the fact that she does not even want to be a passenger, let alone sit in it, makes me think more is going on than just "it's too much of a race car".

Could the case be that she feels embarrassed being seen in a Ferrari - some do.
    Or is it a case of the car not being posh and conservative enough for her? Some think do think these cars are infantile and gaudy.
    If this is the case, a Cali won't change anything and you're given in for no reason.
    If she indeed has gotten it into her head that it is some kind of brutal race car for some odd reason, why not see how she likes an F12? At least that you will most likely experience as a step up from the 430, where I think you'll be very hard pressed to be content with the Cali.

If a mid engined Ferrari is what you want, keep the 430. Don't try and bribe her intk the car with promises of expensive accessories. What I've seen over the years which have worked much better, has been situations where the mans interest in the car started to rub off. Not in the sense that the partner became a driver, but more in the sense that the wife might have felt enticed to find out what it is that makes her man so happy, and in part her left out a bit.

Do your thing, and if possible she'll come around eventually. If not, the Ferrari experience is just something you'll enjoy with other like minded people.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I completely fail to see how that can be considered a good thing. It's a Ferari, not a Porsche. If the Ferrari feels like a Porsche, that's a real shame.

JCaspar likes this.