Getting your thoughts on Concorso Italiano? | FerrariChat

Getting your thoughts on Concorso Italiano?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BLACK HORSE, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've been attending this show during car weekend in Monterey for the last 15 years now... and I don't know if anyone noticed but it appears in the last three years the show that I really enjoy attending is shrinking in size and attendance. For 2019, extremely low attendance on vendors. That meant no artwork on display, no collectibles, no parts and no independent manufacturers of any kind, and just two publication vendors who had some books for sale. And… good luck if anyone was able to find any type of Ferrari mechanize for sale, and THAT was a huge surprise. Just one dealer, Ferrari of Silicon Valley had some crappy jackets and shirts for sale…

Now for the attendance… Even that was down from previous years. I remember it was extremely difficult to get around without running into someone. This year… you can stick out your arms straight out and you wouldn’t hit anyone while walking, but yeah this probably due to the increasing spectators entry prices that was to blame!

Even the registered cars on display on the greens, wasn’t like in previous years. It was also ironic to only see one Mondial “coupe” that made it and was on display by the owner. Very surprising and upsetting say the lease! Also this year, there were no Enzo's, no GTO's of any kind, and just two BB Boxers made it. Is this the end of CI?

Did anyone attend the show this year and care to weigh on its future… maybe on some great memories perhaps?

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  2. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    This event has been going down for nearly 40 years. I used to attend every year, but now do about 1 in 5.

Monterey itself is now so overblown that it almost seems to be worthless to go. The first years I went there was virtually no one there. Then it became so crowded as to be uncomfortable.

Just like California itself - it is all a victim of its own success.

Maybe we are headed back to sanity?

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Our group stopped taking our cars 3 yrs ago. We were tired of seeing the same cars and staying all day. Went on Friday to Legends of Autobahn for free. Saturday walked around displays by Pebble Beach Lodge and then to Laguna Seca (my friend gets us free passes).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Sad to hear this... I was unable to make it this year due to health stuff getting in the way, but I’ve always enjoyed taking my cars there in prior years - it’s always been a great event. Hopefully this year was just a fluke.

Ruben

5. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Went as a spectator last year, didn’t think it was as good of a value as going to the Quail, for example.

Didn’t really dig the food truck model.

The most Testarossas I saw in one place, but that’s about the only thing going for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    While I haven't displayed at Concorso I can say as an artist who has done shows is that it has become cost prohibitive.

They have priced vendor spaces so high at most major events that the only way it's feasible is if you live close by. The AFAS lost their sponsorship at Pebble so that is gone now too as I predicted years ago. There are still spaces at Amelia but they moved them far from the show field and off the beaten path.

I priced out showing at Concorso Italiano, the Quail and Pebble Beach five years ago. By the time I factored in transportation, show fees, lodging and shipping my sculptures I'd have to sell @25k just to break even. That figured didn't even account for my time. That might not seem like much to a car/restoration company by most artists and vendors can't justify that risk.

You also aren't seeing a lot of Ferrari merchandise because they really came down hard on licensing. Back in the day there was a boat load of "unofficial" merch made and sold at the events. Ferrari had enough and cracked down legally wit a vengeance.

Sad to see as I love going to shows and seeing all the great artists and vendors lined up with the cars.

Lusso123 and jm2 like this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I attended the year before last and was very underwhelmed. It was a nice gathering of Italian car guys, but not the cream of the crop examples I was expecting, so I didn't return last year (I didn't go the Pebble this year). I had always heard so much about the event that I was expecting the finest cars in every class to be strewn all over the course. Instead, most cars were enthusiasts drivers, which is fine, but not what I what I expect to see at that show.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I didn’t have the pleasure of attending Monterey this year. But it sounds like a lot of events are going down hill. Exorbitant prices for events.
    RM auction incident.
    Crazy drivers doing doughnuts in Carmel.
    Sad

Sent from my 16M

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I wouldn't exactly say things are going down hill. There's no question that it is still the most amazing week on the automotive calendar. But, with big crowds and popularity comes a few whack jobs. All in all, it is still an amazing week to see the finest of the finest in the automotive world. I have no issues with growth and expansion, and yes "commercialization". I love capitalism and the free market. I'm happy to see it flourish.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  10. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This is true for car shows in general, the guys that historically have been into them are getting old or have died.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    There was no shortage of enthusiastic owners and fans in Monterey this last week, or at the Cavallino Classic in January. The best of the best still shows up strong.

12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I entered CI in 2016 and last year. 2016 was fun. David Lee had all his supercars there. Last year was very poor turn out, I left early to go to Exotics on Cannery Row. It's just too expensive for spectators.

13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    went to Exotics on Boardway this year but was not impressed with the organization. Thinking about going to CI next year
    may I ask about the cost of the entry ticket?
    thanks.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    True but even those incredible events aren't what they used to be. not their fault, the crowd and their motivation has changed over the years.

Cavallino was epic back in the day. The track portion alone was mind blowing! Too bad Ferrari Corp. and their Classiche push ruined the historics for everyone but that's another story.

15. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    SCEye likes this.
  16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    thank you. will keep an eye out next august.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I started going to CI back at the beginning. If I remember correctly, it actually started at the Quail (but I could be wrong). I remember my brother and I drove up and parked at the gate. If there was a charge, it was minimal. Boy, have things changed...... $510 to get in with $10 worth of food and parking and $190 general admission. No wonder it's empty.

The whole Monterey Car Week thing seems out of control, between the crowds and the absurd pricing to look at some cars and basically show off with your latest and greatest Pagani, Konegsegg or whatever and make some You Tube content, it has lost the charm of the historic races at Laguna (followed by the FOC track day) and Pebble for the polishers and restoration crew.

18. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

I went in 2017 because I wanted to see an F40 in person and there were two that year. But at least for me the ticket price is too high for what it is. It was cool to go once but I don't need to go back. Been going to Mecum the past several years to see a mix of cool cars and only for $20.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Manda racing likes this.
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It's just overpriced. Our cars and coffee is just as impressive and free. Plus its out of the way and the parking situation is atrocious.

This event shouldn't be more than 50 bucks for general admission. How is a guy supposed to take his family? The tickets are literally morre expensive than Disney land

Nice cars... Weak logistics... Long walks... Horrible food.

Just not a fun way to spend almost 300 bucks.

20. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I used to go to this with my daughter when she was younger and we talked about going this year. Sounds like I'm glad we did not

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Totally agree.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

For CI, yes, that’s a crazy price tag. Again, it’s an enthusiasts gathering with a few great cars and a ton of average drivers. For Pebble, Amelia, Cavallino - worth every dime and more.

23. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think its about $190 per person (late fee I think!)... Usually tickets start out cheap and could go higher as it gets closer to the event.

SCEye likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My last year at CI was in 2018 and it was poor, really poor (in terms of great Ferraris).
    This year I would have had to pay $ 510 including a VIP parking pass but I knew that it would not be good anymore and fortunately decided to stay away from CI.
    Having received detailed feedback from a friend since last Saturday I now know that my decision to stay away was good. $ 510 saved.
    Several Ferrari replicas were shown…….oh well.

Goodbye and good luck CI.

Marcel Massini

showme1946, Lusso123 and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well said