2020 tires | FerrariChat

2020 tires

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    no ****ing way

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And there are those here that claim there’s no favouritism between Mercedes and Pirelli........ nah, nothing like that, nothing to see here guys, move along.

FFS, what a bloody farce our sport, sorry, show, is. Claims of bias and collusion are made, thinly veiled denials are issued, and then further bias is announced without even a blushed cheek... the rest of the teams essentially have to bend over and accept whatever Mercedes deems the optimum compound for next year... hmmm, wonder if the tyres will work for the whole group or just one team next year? I know where my money will be, same place it has done since 2014, Mercedes double championships again

Bas and stavura like this.
  4. #5 lorenzobandini, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Am I being re-directed to another site?

" Pirelli’s 2020 test programme, which has thus far has encompassed nine teams and four sessions in Bahrain, Barcelona, the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone, has hitherto focussed on already agreed aims of creating a wider working range and having less overheating.

However, recent meetings regarding future rules have put a new emphasis on low degradation, with the drivers particularly keen to have tyres with which they can push harder for longer.

Pirelli now has just a single test session – with Mercedes at Paul Ricard on September 12-13 – in which to track-test low-degradation tyres.It then has to provide the definitive 2020 product for all the teams to test in the week after the Abu Dhabi GP.

The specific requirements for degradation, a wider working range, overheating and deltas between compounds will be formalised in the new target letter, which Pirelli hopes will be agreed by all parties over the Hungarian GP weekend. "

I don't favor any team.
    I don't own (correction: never owned...) a Mercedes, a Ferrari, a Honda, an Alfa, a McLaren, an Aston Martin, nor a Renault. I do drive a Buick; a Jag before that. (Jackie, where for art thou? Oh that's right, that would've been Ford)
    I don't drink any "energy" drinks, let alone Red Bull. I have no use for Haas' tools.
    And Rokit (Williams)?....What the 'ell's that??? :eek:

I must not be reading the same article, eh? :(

DGPF and SPEEDCORE like this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mercedes get to test all specs, and decide which one suits them best, the rest of the teams just have to put up with whatever Mercedes decide. Just like this year, and last year, if the tyre is Mercedes spec, it may well not suit 9 other teams at all and lead to another boring season - but that’s okay right?

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Bas likes this.
  6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    OK, tell me: why is there a single test session only with Mercedes before they provide the definite 2020 product to the other team???
    There are rumours all the time in the paddocks that Pirelli is favoring Mercedes and even if this would not be true this is fuel into the flames of rumours... why the hell is Pirelli doing that and why is the FIA allowing it???

Bas and classic308 like this.
  8. #9 lorenzobandini, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Thank you. 'Sounds like straight news rather than fake news.... :)

Anywho....

(A) 'Honestly 'don't have a clue. And, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so, no conjecture here.
    (B) Rumours indeed. A dime a dozen. (allright, a dollar-fifty or so a dozen, adjusted for inflation since the time I learned the phrase...)
    (C) See (A)

This is FC, but I'm absolutely sure :rolleyes: I'm not detecting a hint of bias, right?
    Who was Ferrari "colluding" with during it's run of championships? Again, FIA? Bridgestone? (or whatever they used; 'don't remember) Hmmm....???

I was getting tired of Ferrari's domination then (were you also?) as I am of Mercedes' now. (Red Bull had it's little run too, no? And others in the past.....)

'Difference being I just accepted/accept, and respected/respect, that they were/are the best of the best (an awesome F1 collection) of the best teams in auto racing. (Okay, I'll also include Porsche, Toyota, Peugeot, and of course, Audi, in sportscars, of recent. Also fantastic men and machines)).

'S'why F1 is the pinnacle. And we get to witness it. 'Great, no? ;)

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Probably because other teams known their suggestions won’t be listened to anyway

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You do remember that back then there was not a single tire manufacturer that supplied all teams?!? So your point is unvalid unfortunately ;)
    As you might remember at both occasions (Ferrari and Red Bull) the FIA was looking to break the dominance by changing the regulations every now and then... With Mercedes there seems to be no need for that....

11. #12 lorenzobandini, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    I thought that's what I stated in the parens..." 'don't remember."
    I made no point. I asked a rhetorical question.
    But even if so....how would that make even a suggestion of collusion between Ferrari and it's supplier invalid? :confused:

No mas.
    I think I was mistaken about the non-bias... :oops: ;)

Anyway, " 'showtime" in Hockenheim.....enjoy the wet start. :)

12. Hey!!! At least today, the "tiresome", evil plot didn't succeed. :D

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145490/mclaren-rivals-too-keen-blame-tyres-for-problems

McLaren performance director Andrea Stella believes Formula 1 teams have a "tendency" to overplay the impact Pirelli tyres have their cars' performance fluctuations.

Pirelli's decision to switch to a thinner-tread tyre specification for 2019 has been one of the major talking points of the season, and triggered an ultimately unsuccessful push to return to previous year's rubber.

Ferrari and Red Bull were chief proponents of such a move, believing the new tyres to benefit the Mercedes W10 package at their expense, while Haas has pointed to the revised rubber construction as a potential reason for its VF19 car's wildly inconsistent pace.

McLaren was among the teams arguing against a return to older-spec tyres, and its F1 chiefs feel the matter had been overblown.

"I have to say that tyres are definitely a difficult matter but there is also a tendency, I think... you have a certain ambition, you have certain achievements, and you tend to put the difference on tyres," Stella told Autosport.

"I think this is too simplistic and people should make more of fair questions about what they are achieving and not simply applying mathematics of 'this is where I want to be, this is where I am, so subtract the difference - and this is tyres'.

"If you do not understand [something] in this business, you can be lucky a couple of years maybe but you don't dominate."

Team principal Andreas Seidl agreed with Stella's assessment.

"It is part of the business to understand what is going on with tyres in whatever category and also for us because we get this question many times," Seidl told Autosport.

"We don't know exactly how big our issues are compared to the issues some other teams are facing, [although], OK, some teams are more vocal about it."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

McLaren's new tech chief James Key described working with F1 tyres as "definitely a science", although admitted there was "a little bit of luck" involved.

"Sometimes you cannot quite predict what is going to happen next year," Key said. "Pirelli do a good job of giving us tyres to test on in Abu Dhabi and so on, but that's a quite different type of track to what you face in winter testing and the season.

"There is some very good expertise within the team, but again this is a thorough approach of trying to make sure understand as best we can of how to treat the tyres, how to predict what they are going to do and then modify that view as the weekend progresses as well.

"For me on a personal level it is a very good reference point for next year as there are certain things that go into making your tyre management competitive.

"It is something we need to ensure that we continue into next year and beyond that - so there are certain ingredients that go into that and it's important we maintain that.

"It is one of the few things that is identical for every team. So to suggest that we should change tyres just because your car is not working is kind of the tail wagging the dog."

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    the team that benefitted enormously says it's marginal.

Sure.

Lol.

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

McLaren have a better chassis and appear to have good technical analysis. I do not sense conspiracy from the article. Sad that others complained. But how silent are Redbull now lol. That’s is the story. The equation is simple - good aero will result in better results lol

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull are quiet(er) because it appears their upgrades on the chassis side appear to work well enough.