Silly Season 2020 F1 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Silly Season 2020 F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've never understood the mentality of disliking a driver for ages then suddenly when he comes to ''your'' team, he's the greatest.

I liked the guy before, still like him now (though at times disappointment got the better of me).

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In football, it has been called "tribal mentality".
    Allegiance to a team overcomes all objections for fanatics.

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You're kidding right?

He says this after Red Bull made it clear Max wasn't going anywhere and almost certainly it was already known (internally) that Bottas would stay on as his lap dog?

4. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    As far as I remember, Villeneuve tested extensively for Williams for a whole year - they really prepared him for F1, because they wanted to benefit from his name... Si I wouldn't call it "immediately"...

Bas likes this.
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea I like Vettel. He strikes me as pretty decent down to earth guy.

TurboFreak650, stavura and Bas like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

william and Nortonious like this.
  7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Bas, Nortonious and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    DFor sure, Ocon is very good, and i believe he would pose a real treath to elton. Together with Charles and mx he's f.1 future, merc is making a mistake...sure bottas is good and reliable, but he's not the future, and Ocon could be...maybe they'll try to get him back in a couple of years...but i feel they have taken the wrong decision just to please Elton...

Nortonious and crinoid like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am guessing that MB can recall Ocon if needed. Better for him to sharpen his skills in competition than piloting a simulator.

10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    That's what I gathered. The article did close with Ocon is "on loan" to Renault. But I think Toto et al have a certain timing in mind for these things

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145590/hulkenberg-teases-exciting-day-amid-ocon-reports

Nico Hulkenberg has teased a "more exciting Thursday" at the Belgian Grand Prix, amid reports Esteban Ocon will take his Renault Formula 1 seat and Mercedes will retain Valtteri Bottas.

Hulkenberg's deal with the Renault works team expires at the end of 2019 and reports in Germany and France have suggested he will be replaced by Ocon next year.

Ocon was in the running for the second Mercedes seat alongside Lewis Hamilton for 2020, but were Mercedes to choose Bottas then Ocon would be free to strike a deal with another team.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said he would use the summer break to choose between Hamilton's existing team-mate Bottas and reserve driver Ocon.

While no announcement has been made ahead of this weekend's Belgian GP, Ocon has been increasingly linked with a move to Renault and Haas has also been tipped as a potential destination.

On Tuesday, Hulkenberg responded to the front cover of the latest issue of French publication Auto Hebdo, which declares Ocon's move to Renault is a done deal and includes a mock picture of Ocon in a Renault race suit.

"Finally a more exciting Thursday ahead," Hulkenberg wrote on his Instagram story in a caption that accompanied a picture of the Ocon/Renault magazine cover.

When approached by Autosport, a Renault spokesperson said the team had no comment to make on the French story "or rumours otherwise".

Mercedes has given no indication regarding the outcome of its driver deliberations.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    From how Hulk posted the message...it seems to indicate that he is staying. I'm thinking a shock move from Ricciardo to any of the top 3 teams, funnily enough RBR the least likely...

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Toto seems to be the new ringmaster since Bernie's departure

TurboFreak650 likes this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This getting funny...because i'm pretty sure Ocon will find a place, if not at Renault then for sure at Haas, they sure could use him!
    Let's face it, as good as Ocon is, i'm not sure if he would be an improvement over the Hulk who is already a very good driver..so just being french could justify it.
    How exciting would be if merc put Ricci in Bottas place? Naahhhh, Elton would never accept it, pretty sure he would rather have Ocon...

stavura and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    he'd prefer Bottas even more!!

stavura likes this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    yap, he's not to keen on seing the honey badger sweap the floor with his ass, unless Bottas he would eat him alive every time they were fighting for position....

stavura and Bas like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Bas likes this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    IMO, Ocon has been over rated as a top prospect all along, and going to Renault (a team that doesn't perform very well), will not improve his image.

At least Ricciardo has some reputation behind him and could rescue his career at the end 2020, by leaving Renault.

DF1, tifosi12 and Bas like this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This.

Ocon as a Frenchman will fit perfectly for Renault's advertisements. That's about it.

Bas and william like this.
  20. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    However, if Ocon can out-perform Ricci (I don't think he will, however) his reputation will improve. Think Ricci vs Vettel at Red Bull...

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What does "outperform" at Renault look like? The one whose turbo lasts more laps?

375+, stavura, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yep he sounds as French with his Spanish first and last name as Ricciardo sounds Aussie (!), perfect match:)!

tifosi12, william and Flavio_C like this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This, exactly. I don't think he is identified as "french" by the general french public. The "average Frenchman" (= le Français moyen) does not know who he is, and as said by Marc above, that name sounds 100% spanish (so...perhaps Fernando Alonso's successor?). Those interested in racing, perhaps know who he is.
    Besides, I'm not quite sure that the "corporate Renault" does exactly know what to do do and how to use the "visibility" (so to speak) or image of their "racing effort"...

Rgds

william and Nembo1777 like this.