Auction price for 2013 458 Spyder | FerrariChat

Auction price for 2013 458 Spyder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by deshapiro, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deshapiro

deshapiro Karting

Sep 25, 2015
    I was getting emails every few hours for an online auction by Ferrari Maserati of Long Island. I was surprised by the results.

A 2013 spider with 2800 miles went for $190,000. The reserve was met so that was the hammer price. There is some real depreciation still going on.

David

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    One at Gooding with about 360K list went for 229K all in. 190K is low unless lightly equipped.

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    high end car reset happening now post Monterey results.....

5. deshapiro

deshapiro Karting

Sep 25, 2015
    That is the car. It was an auction open to the public.

tfazio likes this.
  6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The non-Ferrari dealer who purchased my 488 Spider said the auction prices of 458 and 488 are dropping fast. He blames it on the softness in the high end market, too many cars and few buyers. He said several sellers of F cars wind up taking their cars home rather than accept current prices.

He is no longer buying cars from the public unless they accept very low offers.

7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    a couple months ago when I was researching the market and purchased my car, the desirable cars with high msrp's, especially red 458 Spiders, commanded premium prices and sold fast

less desirable colors with low msrp's, even with low miles, were much cheaper and were selling slowly

8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Brown interior with black scared me off

9. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

10. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    All high end car prices will see some accelerated depreciation in the next few years. Economic uncertainty has finally hit, combined with a massive glut of production numbers in the past few years across most brands.

I can only think of two exotic cars under $1M that appear to still be appreciating in today's market.

DXB599 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    From what I gather (not self serving because I just bought one) 458 Spider prices, assuming economic environment is a constant, are likely to stay where they are, whereas 488 prices will continue to fall.

I've been told that there's already inversion in the wholesale market where late model 458 Spiders are more than early/mid 488 coupes, with the 488 Spider to follow in the next year or so by either inverting or at least staying on par with the 458 Spider.

This all makes sense as FI/hybrid fast cars are a dime a dozen now and that level of performance is available at prices accessible to most people, so having a fast car isn't anything special any more, and that's only going to become more of new normal as we move forward. So a lot of folks are falling back to the 458 (including apparently a lot of 488 owners), giving up a little performance and even looks for a more analog and better sounding experience. I'm honestly not trying extrapolate a trend from my own experience/bias, but that effect is echoed by people with whom I've discussed this who follow the market. It would be interesting to get some data as I don't have access to it.

Now obviously if the economic environment changes all of this changes too, but at that point the 458 Spider value whilst falling, will likely do even better than the 488 than it does now, which as beautiful and fast a car as it is, is one swimming in a sea of other FI sports cars with nothing much to set it apart when few people are in a buying mood.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    One actual fact to take into account in this analysis is that the MSRP of a late 458 spider was (noticeably) higher than the MSRP of an early 488 GTB - having that replicated on the used market is not really a conclusive evidence that the 458 is more sought after... except for people wanting to believe it of course ;)

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what were aperta stickers? normally specced cars, nor tailor made etc
    are speciales below sticker now?

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats a beautiful car...options to carry much premium anyway. people wld like to think they do, but they really dont.

15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The car is still listed on their website. Did anyone confirm if it actually sold?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Call me crazy but I think that is a very fair number considering it looks like minimal at best options and color combo. If you are going to wait until they stop depreciating you will never own a car. Best ,Kirk.

BOKE likes this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  18. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    AlfistaPortoghese and IloveGT like this.
  19. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#19 DXB599, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Haven't seen any Apertas selling below sticker, but asking prices are down about $100K in the past 6-months. Previously many asking prices were in the high $600K to low $700K range and now in the high $500K to low $600K. Some Speciale selling prices are at or a bit below sticker now. They're great cars, but produced in much higher numbers than Apertas.

Here's one of the Aperta window stickers. It's well optioned at $453K original sticker with current asking price $599K. Maybe not a bad time to jump in and enjoy versus waiting for further price drop. Have been watching the market as I've got an Aperta purchase on my radar screen around year end.

Attached Files: