Pista or Refresh | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Pista or Refresh

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    The one issue that may influence the decision is the effect of "passing" on a car. If your brother wants to keep climbing the ladder you really need to keep saying , "Yes" at every opportunity. Saying , 'No" at any point can be an issue depending how high up on the food chain you are at the dealer/FNA.
    Best

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    What happened in the end Doc?

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I may be reading you wrong, but not sure why not to use the Pista if he wants to drive the car? I've yet to have the pleasure, but I'm sure it's one hell of a drivers car.

Other than that? I completely agree. I'm a huge opponent of garage queens and as much so of people getting VS cars that just stash them or flip them.

If he really wants to rack up the miles and use the car, I'd say get the Pista and enjoy it. Then the F8 can go to the person who just needs the latest and greatest thing at C&C.

This guy needs to purchase what he feel he will be most happy with. I suspect that will be a Pista, but that's just me and my logic.

gzachary and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think the difference here is where you drive it. The tributo will be better for most driving situations, except the track and back roads

Shadowfax, BarryK and italiafan like this.
  5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I wonder if the reality would actually be the opposite, with the F8 racking up care-free miles while the more "special" Pista spends most of it's life between the garage and strictly mileage-limited commutes to C&C while the owner frets about depreciation $$$ per mile. Just look at the number of next to no mile 458 SA and F12tdf out there for sale.

italiafan and sampelligrino like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

As others mentioned the Pista will be more of a “special occasion car” and thus not have tens of thousands of miles on it typically. Special cars are very mileage sensitive in the US.
    Whereas an F8 can be specc’d with more comfortable seats, Bluetooth, sat nav, nice radio, leather and be ideal for a 2 week drive across country.
    It comes down to the intended purpose of the machine.
    I am not in the camp that automatically states that the “special” car is always better than the “regular” car in all circumstances.
    For instance I have a 2013 458 Spider in triple yellow (launch color for 458 SA), with comfy standard seats-Daytona style, all leather interior...have 30K miles and drive it on huge road trips all the time...meanwhile owners of 458 SA, that look very similar to mine, are equally proud boasting 700 miles on their precious garage queen.
    I hate garage queens.
    Cars are toys, yet powerful toys that can do good.
    Here is with me with one of my dear patients, he is 53 and has ~ 2-3 weeks to live, he loves cars...took him for a long drive in my Speciale yesterday...he had the time of his life...literally.
    To me cars are to be used....so F8 may very well be >>>Pista for some people.
    Me included.
    Forza Ferrari!
    Btw...I’m unusual...I drive the piss out of my Speciale...greatest sports car the World has ever seen. :)

Shack, DRYHOLE, tekaefixe and 8 others like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is exactly why I say that if he intends go use the car, get the Pista and leave the less special car to the C&C drivers.

I know the harsh reality of it, and I think it's a shame. And Italiafan is completely right when he says this is part of car history we need no move on from and put behind us. These great cars are meant to be driven. If you want an investment to look at, buy a Picasso.

Shadowfax likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I find it funny that they called those 3 little vanes Flux Deflectors :)

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Slightly of topic but can I ask the reason for dmark1 being banned ? I have seen other bans but no reason ?

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    :( but what you did is so wonderful :)

DRYHOLE, Bmill and chrisf355spider like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #86 Shadowfax, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Funny you say that as I noticed last night he was banned but oddly no cliff notes from the mods to explain why. Maybe the scuffle got ugly and the mods had to erase the bloodbath lol.

dmark1 is a little risque' at times with some of his responses but he's generally pretty good. Nothing wrong with being straight up but a lot comes down to how things get taken and clearly he must have have stepped on someones toes I suspect.

True but doesn't track and back-roads account for mostly where these car are driven? After all these are special cars...not something you'd spend time in or wasting mileage driving to places like the supermarket etc.

I suspect the main trade off in comfort and practicality comes down to a bit of sound deadening and less storage compartments (which can be a PIA) but if you take those things out the equation the Pista is bound to prove the more compelling drive regardless of the engine sharing the same level of HP, which is inaccessible most of the time anyway. So it comes down to the drive, and I just can't see F8 being endowed with the same level of precision and feel as Pista otherwise it would defeat the purpose of Pista.

12. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #87 Booker, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Not sure, I will look into it

Edit: he was in a heated back and forth with another user and then resorted to name calling, tried (successfully) to avoid the profanity filter. His ban is up in 2 days tho. Feel free to message me with any more questions

Now back on topic :D

MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Thank you Sir

Booker likes this.
  14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    For me, this is just a personal question. We are ticking down every second. Unless you have a Ferrari whose quantities were made with less than 500 units and thus has some scarcity, these are not investments. So then you are just thinking about minimizing depreciation.

And meanwhile time is just depreciating our physical health no matter what you do. And it can easily go and one can die in a flash.

In that spirit, I drive my Pista everywhere (except for areas where people will actively scratch it on purpose). So I have put on 1K miles since June. And it is just fantastic. Why wait.

15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Spot on. People often forget that they are their biggest investment.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This.

These cars are not investments and their greatest value is when they are enjoyed to the fullest

Italiafan, glad to hear you're driving the snot out of your Spec, keep it up, that's what it is for:)

Shadowfax likes this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #92 Shadowfax, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    This is the biggest trap I see most fall into. Shame really.

Absolutely! Some may find the enjoyment driving these types of cars the supermarket and back but if they got it out to the right places they wouldn't bother with the supermarket run as there are better mules for that. These types of "fun" cars can rack up more than enough mileage on track and backroads in a very short space of time. I've had my Pista for a week and it's already done 600 so its having a spell for a week while I use another fun car - 2rs is currently on a transporter going 3000kms to one of the best tracks and wine country in the country where it will do a fine tour of duty. By the time it returns it will be due a spell in the garage for a week or two. All my cars get driven in "fun" environments. I just don't find it all that much fun sitting in traffic in a car that's constantly tugging at the leash with nowhere to run. And if when I sell them I will know whatever hit I take I had a lot of fun along the way. My garage queens all get dirty and have lots of fun in the process of losing value. Totally agree don't buy these cars and die looking at them while they lose money....which they will do no matter how hard you try to preserve the mileage.

There are 3 things in life you can count on: death, taxes, and depreciation. The only bank you can take that to lays 6 foot under.

dmark1, gzachary and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Truer words were never spoken...