458 front | FerrariChat

458 front

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 6t7, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hi Guys
    Remember there are no stupid questions.
    I love the 458 Italia. To me the last non turbo mid engine car is the model to have. However the front air intake area doesn’t excite me with the little flexible aero wings. To me it’s just an opening.
    I really like the look of the 488 with it’s two vertical dividers, looks more aggressive.
    Now i assume with all the aero development that goes on you would be possibly messing things up trying to change the front to have the 488 look.
    Can the 458 front bumper be changed to look like the 488?
    Do any aftermarket front bumpers resemble the 488 style?

stevdug likes this.
  2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #2 PhilNotHill, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    This is utter sacrilege. :)

Not a big fan of the 488 front. Looks like a couple of buck teeth hanging down to me. The F8 and SF90 are fantastic IMVHO.

3. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Isn't the ugly 488 front end a compromise needed to get extra cooling to the turbos? I'm not sure why you'd want to do that on purpose.

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Some people have put the Speciale front bumper on the 458. It can be done. I also know this because they sit on cars.com for forever. I'd only do this if you really plan on keeping the car forever. Otherwise buying a 488 is much cheaper in the long run. Or better yet, buy one of the 458's I've seen with this, eh hem, feature.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not a huge 488 nose guy, or Speciale for that matter but something like the f8 uh, you bet. I agree the standard 458 nose could use just a little help to update. I keep looking for a classy looking splitter but most I have seen, to my eye just look too tacked on.

6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I've seen beautiful supermodels with gap toothed smiles/buck teeth, but can't say the same for one with catfish whiskers... funny enough IMO F8 has some weird aquatic thing like the 458 with shark fins/fish whiskers like the Huracan evo, and SF 90 front spoiler reminds me of 488's

Just goes to show YMMV, different strokes for different folks, although I don't think I'd try to replace a 458 bumper with a 488's...and vice versa

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Sell the car and get a 488 GTB. Any body changes whether cheap or very dear are just add ons and will devalue the car. A pig with lipstick is still a pig

8. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I have the carbon fiber winglets/wiskers and that crap ferrari talked about the mustache moving to provide more cooling or whatever is just BS.
    In CF those things are so stiff its impossible to move whatever the speed you travel. So either BS or in CF they just dotn do their intended purpose.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Please don't do it. Unless your willing to keep the car forever, a modification like that would ruin the car. Just trade or sell the 458 and get a 488.

docf and PhilNotHill like this.
  10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I agree with the OP. One of the reasons I traded my 458 for the far more aggressive looking and dramatically improved design of the 488.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    At least you put your money where your mouth is. Good for you.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the beautiful and agressive looking front end both serves to add cooling as well as enhance the look over the goofy smiling mouth of the 458 front end.:)

Ash Patel, Viperjoe and sampelligrino like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If all it is, is a bolt on modification, it is 100% reversible.

I was told that the panels are in fact interchangeable. Question is, will the front bumper bolt to the 458, or will it also need 488 fenders and boot lid.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  14. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Viperjoe likes this.
  15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Agree. You will have a terrible time explaining that the modification done to your car to the new owner some day was not the result of a modification & not damage. I personally would pass on a modified car as their are more than enough 458 out their that do not share your belief that the facies of the 458 is not aggressive enough. Remember this was the last year design was done by Pinifarina. In the end it boils down to your car, your money.

Clay512TR likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Again I ask, why is it such a big deal if all it is, is a bumper swap? Take off the original bumper, wrap it and box it. Put it back on when the car goes up for sale, and sell the 488 bumper as a spare part.

17. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Interesting. I wonder how they would be able to do it given the seamless design of the 458 front bumper. I guess the whole piece would bolt on over that?

18. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    That looks really great. Did you just remove them or replace them with some type of blanks in place of the “moustache”?

19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Check prior design, they have a la Ferrari type of thing.

20. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    While I do think the 488 front end is less attractive, the 458 front does need a little something. Lip/canards/etc. Makes a big diff.

Ash Patel and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  21. Avi Cohen

Avi Cohen Rookie

Sep 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Avi Cohen
  22. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    hmm not a fan. Sorry brother. Looks even more retro than the 10 y.o. car it is. The mustache suits me fine.

23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  24. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    The vorsteiner kit for the 458 is nice option IMO.