New car revealed | FerrariChat

New car revealed

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it looks fantastic. Really high hopes for this.

Even the massive front wing, I still like to have it not go wider than inside of front wing but this is a great starting point.

I think the racing will be really exciting with these cars. Teams don't appear to be able to have a massive aero advantage over the other with this. Building a good chassis and good engine will be where it's at...but really? I think with these cars the driver will be making the bigger difference.

bmwracer, stavura and 375+ like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I hope that the cars compete in something resembling this state--not peppered with Aerotrash winglets and vanes.

Bas and william like this.
  4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I like the design, but fear the teams will be too limited as far as development is concerned. I may be of the few who want F1 cars to get faster not slower. To me the current 2019 cars have a good balance of providing some good racing and being the fastest. At any rate i'm sure i will be watching and enjoying F1 for years to come.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Have they reduced the wheelbase though ? To me it's an important point in the definition of a racing car. In recent years, the wheelbase has increased substantially, making the cars more stable, but less spectacular.

Makuono likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I like how they hid the batteries.

Nortonious likes this.
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Pat Symonds - “That is what negates us doing it. Even in a big tunnel like Sauber’s, you could only really run one configuration with the cars really very close.

Sauber - With a 15sq metre cross-section and a particularly long rolling road, the test section is unusually large, allowing road cars up to the medium size vans to be measured. In most cases, however, Sauber's engineers will be working with 60 per cent scale models, although certain measurements will be made on full-size Formula One cars. Contrary to most rival tunnels, however, the test section includes the option to perform tandem tests on two 60 per cent scale models to simulate air turbulences and slipstream conditions found in competition

So who is telling the truth.?

Tony

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    because of all the hybrid crap and enormous fuel tank.

G. Pepper and 375+ like this.
  9. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    That halo crap is still there :mad:

Bas likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If the constructors were imposed a maximum wheelbase, they would repackage the components, also end the lie(down driver's position.
    "Enormous fuel tanks" ? I don't think so.

Bas likes this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    If the regulations required a step van(vertical) driver's position it would shorten the wheelbase drastically. I also support a return to manual transmissions using steering column gearshifts.

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145514/what-weve-learned-from-f1-2021-windtunnel-model

Formula 1's 2021 concept car has undergone its first windtunnel tests, and according to series chiefs the results of changes designed to improve the spectacle were "excellent".

In conjunction with the FIA, F1's in-house technical team has produced an initial concept ahead of the planned overhaul of the technical regulations for the 2021 season. A vision of that concept from an earlier iteration is illustrated by Giorgio Piola above.

After a phase of CFD (computational fluid dynamics) testing, F1 has now produced a 50% scale model, which has been tested in the Sauber windtunnel in Switzerland.

The CFD tests, according to the FIA's head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis, showed the 2021 concept sustained a downforce reduction of "5-10%" when in the wake of another car compared to the 45% that current cars receive.

Windtunnel testing has, according to Tombazis, correlated with those previous figures.

"Fundamentally, the CFD was correct," Tombazis told the official F1 website. "There have been no major surprises.

"So there is a 5-10% wake disruption, compared to the current levels of 50%, although it depends on the exact configuration you are testing and so on."

The car features the expected ground-effect package, produced by a pair of dramatic Venturi tunnels, while there is little in the way of the expansive bargeboard packages currently seen on the current generation of F1 machinery.

The changes seen are part of a push to improve the closeness of wheel-to-wheel racing and level of overtaking in F1, without the need for driver aids such as DRS.

There are many similarities with Piola's illustrations based on an earlier iteration of the car, but there is a difference in rear wings.

The newly-released windtunnel model shows a rear wing that transitions directly into the endplate, producing a vortex that sucks in the car's wake to limit the dirty air produced.

Piola's illustration below overlays elements of the 2021 design on a current car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F1's chief technical officer Pat Symonds lauded the work produced so far.

"[Results are] actually beyond what I thought we could achieve when we started the project" said Symonds.

"With the configurations we have got at the moment, the results are exceptional."

Other areas of interest include the front wing, where the nose attaches directly to the front wing mainplane.

The five wing elements allowed currently has been cut to three, attaching at both ends between the nose and endplate to eliminate the 'Y250' vortex - a common tool in creating a barrier between the tyre wake and the floor.

There are also deflectors mounted above the wheel and attached to the front uprights to control the tyre wake.

"The fundamental point of all of this," Tombazis added, "is that we are trying to reduce the losses that the following car would face.

"The simplification of the leading car's aerodynamics also helps for wake performance because on the one hand the front car doesn't have as many methods to control its wake.

"On the other hand the following car, not having all these little, very sensitive devices is less susceptible to disruption."

Further changes seen in the video confirm the reintroduction of wheel covers on the 18-inch wheel rims, along with a reshaped halo fairing to better integrate the design with the car.

F1's self-imposed deadline to ratify the 2021 rules is October, although it is currently unknown if the design seen in the windtunnel has been updated.

The current contingent of teams have also been involved in the process of defining the 2021 rules, having been offered extra time to their simulation allowances to do so.

"The teams have been very good," Symonds added.

"The teams that have had the resources to do it have worked on a number of projects for us, and they are all fully informed of what is going on.

"We have meetings every few months, we send our geometry to them, they then run that in their own CFD environments and they feedback results to us."

There are a fair few similarities between our design and the latest hints released by F1, most notably in the decision to connect the nose directly to the centre of the front wing.

But F1's design also attaches the extra two allotted wing elements to the nose, while ours offers a little more leniency to the aerodynamicists by keeping them unattached at the inboard section.

Both pursue the ground-effect aerodynamics with the Venturi tunnels, although F1's concept has a much more pronounced opening underneath the sidepods.

The two concepts both exhibit sleek and simple bodywork, but ours has a number of stylistic choices around the engine cover area - namely, a small shark fin and a different intake system.

Whereas F1's concept opts for a more stylised halo design, we've taken a leaf from IndyCar's book with an aeroscreen head protection system.

In addition, F1 has the deflectors and wheel covers, while we've opted for a different style rear wing - although crucially, both designs appear to omit DRS.

Both cars have been conceived with the same goal in mind of producing a more compelling on-track product.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    136 liter tanks.

So yes. Massive.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think it used to be more in the past with NA engines and no refuelling. I have heard of up to 200L.
    But the tanks used to be lateral then.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    2012 Red bull had 3100mm wheelbase.

Hybrid cars today shortest is 3545mm

the 2011 Mercedes F1 car was only 2810mm wheelbase, current merc a massive 3760mm. It's nearly a meter longer!

So yes, enormous fuel tanks and hybrid crap to blame I think.

stavura and 375+ like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I like it, except for the from the front wings, like Bas said they should not be larger than the inside of the front tyres, and the bus wheelbase, they should be shorter by a full meter!!! with that, it would be a lot easyer to fight without loosing the wing, it´s a major flaw in this new regs.

375+ and Bas like this.
  17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yes. And the designers are incentivized by longer cars having less drag.

Bas likes this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Learn how to read please.

But I do agree with the maximum wheelbase

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    agree...a shorter wheelbase...I'm getting early 90s feelings...wow did those cars look great!

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Double take ?

I thought you has already replied in your post #14. :D

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, the f1 90 and the 643 where very beautiful cars, with simple lines, also teh 412t2, all great designs...those dimensions would be perfect to have a nimble car that you could fight and go for every small gap without loosing half the car in the process...these huge wings are just stupid and pointless...and most people don't realize how much cars have grown, but it's crazy, i have all Ferrari f1 cars scale 1/43 on display, and they all have the same space to fit in, you can literaly see lot's of space between the 50s cars, then they grow a litle bit in the 60s, some more in the 70s, agains in the 80s, 90s, but the 2000s cars, especialy with the f60 start getting huge, and now they are starting to look cramped!

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    By the time the teams are through with this design it will have 100 different little winglets all over it like a porcupine.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And if I was the FIA I'd take a hacksaw and a hammer and knock them all of again. Once finished, I'll declare the car legal.

John_K_348, stavura, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I supose elton' s head must get hacked also...too ugly in the car...