Why don't more Ferrari owners do their own maintenance? | FerrariChat

Why don't more Ferrari owners do their own maintenance?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Aug 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't know if I have ever read stories on FChat about people even doing simple maintenance like their own oil changes. I have read that 'special' lubricants are required. Also on new Ferraris 7 yr maintenance is included. Everyone seems to agree that most F dealers rape you after this on service charges. Dealers are few and far between where I live and there are no independent service shops locally. Is there a reason most people do not choose to work on their own cars?

magisano likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Rape?

There's an old joke about a guy who needed his refrigerator fixed.

He called in a repairman. The repairman looked at the refrigerator, took out a rubber mallet, and hit the refrigerator on the side. It immediately began to work.

The man was thrilled the refrigerator was saved. Then the repairman gave him a bill for $100.

The man was outraged. "I'm not paying $100 for that! You just hit it on the side! I need an itemized bill!"

The repairman took back the bill and gave the man a new one. It read.

Hitting the refrigerator on the side with a rubber hammer: $1

Knowing where to hit it with which rubber hammer: $99.

showme1946, 2NA, nicholasn and 15 others like this.
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The older the cars, the more of us doing our own maint. Just peruse the 348/F355 section and obviously older cars.

Anything requiring an SD2/3 computer generally becomes more difficult but not impossible to do. It also helps if you have a garage with room and a lift. Not all have that.

And some owners would rather put their skill set to doing what they do best at earning cash and are ok paying the experts to do their thing. Nothing wrong with that either.

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tres55, showme1946, lee-o and 22 others like this.
  4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have traditionally done maintenance on all my other cars (only two others in total) but I feel mostly the Ferrari deserves better than I can do. I have previously done oil changes etc on my two previous Ferraris. I have also done discs and brakes. I am a bit scared of screwing something up engine wise and it costing money to fix my bad :p
    I am in need of new discs and brakes on my 360 and will probably do that myself. I just like the idea of a full history and it's also about time and place I have to do the work as my garage is so small you cannot work in there with a car.

LightGuy likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think it’s a fair question, although in my personal case very simple to answer:

1) My dealer doesn’t rape me.
    2) I don’t have the time and, if I did, I’d prefer to spend it on a different activity.
    3) My field isn’t engineering and I’m not mechanically skilled/inclined. I admire those who are.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

buzzm2005, Makuono, Wade and 5 others like this.
  6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    For some, it’s just not cost / time effective. I have a landscaper do my lawn once a week. I pay him $80 takes about 1.5hrs. I could do that work and save the $80, but since my time is more valuable and I can actually earn more than that .... I choose not to, and invest my time in other ways. This economy of scale works for those that also have multiple cars. Imagine someone who has 5 -10 cars plus daily drivers ? They would never be able to work and earn enough to offset the savings of their own work on those cars.

tres55, BOKE, Jasonberkeley and 4 others like this.
  7. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I've done all of the work on my 360 except for the time I needed a code read. Since then I got a tool for that. There are even cheap tools that allow you to communicate with the TCU without an SD2 provided your TCU software isn't one of the original editions. I find it more of a fulfilling ownership experience doing all of the work myself and learning how the car works. Not to mention the money saved. It makes it somewhat affordable.

Rob-0987, Jakuzzi, Joe90 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I've done all my basic work on Ferraris and even a lot of work on other exotic and unique vehicles for myself and a long list of friends. I've done this since long before YouTube and the internet forums existed. We had shop manuals and general experience, and I still use the same as needed but the internet makes it easier to find the info and procedures... and tricks from experts :-0 I've also invested the time and money to have the tools and space to do the work, and the pains of making minor time wasting mistakes. I do own a decent OBD2 tool, but not much help on Ferraris. If I need that much, it goes to my local independent or dealership. I don't have the ability to spend more time at my jobs to make extra money, that formula doesn't work for many of us. So I get in there and do what is logical for my tools and ability. It's just a car, not a Faberge Egg :)

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The only work that I have my Indy do is clutch and belt replacement. Though I've been thinking of doing the belts myself.. but it's my time that is scarce.

10. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    While I do agree with the statement about it not being cost/time effective, changing the oil in my 458 is recreation to me. Read Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance.

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Maybe because there are more clueless people like me. I have no concept or ability. I know the engine is behind me , I think ? Best, Kirk.

BOKE, VColin, Suffyk and 4 others like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hey, I get pretty pleased with myself whenever I’m able to spot the air filter on an engine bay!

And that’s about all I can identify :cool:

I lack the time, ability, knowledge and confidence to work on a car. I’m very appreciative of those who can.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Hobby time = do things I enjoy. On car hobby, driving is the part I enjoy the most. The maintenance/service, not so much anymore.

I’d rather pay an independent mechanic and use that time for other things I enjoy more including the work and advocacy I do.

Robb likes this.
  14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Lots of people on here are doing basic fluid changes, etc. 430 and older

15. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    don't really want to
    also, having grease under the nails upset my nurses as they put sterile gloves on my hands for surgery.
    lastly, patients don't like it when you touch their eyes and your fingers look and smell like grease.

2NA and MalcQV like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The lack of time, knowledge, tools, facilities, fear, desire, or a combination thereof.

wbklink, Themaven, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Computerization, tools, and a high risk of damage.

mikeswplt and 2NA like this.
  18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I can imagine they wouldn't be pleased.
    I'm wary as a Systems Admin if I have go to a users keyboard and they see nails full of oil.

19. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    That's why nitrile gloves are so popular. Peel them off after working on the car and no need to mess around with industrial hand cleaners.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary Sandberg, Jakuzzi, Joe90 and 2 others like this.
  20. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    For some of us (me), there is no other option. I would have to ship my car to a Ferrari indie, and that is far away. Besides, I can do the work and treat it like a hobby. I take my time and do the work carefully and if that means taking twice the time than so be it. I am actually looking forward to my engine out. :eek:

21. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Because nobody is out there buying used 458's with hand written "I changed the oil today 08/23/19" logs. To maintain value in the car, one must have proof of maintenance. Changing oil is easy as hell, but not worth the lost $$ when it's time to sell.

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #22 Skippr1999, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    This will change with time. Most have been under the 7 yr. maintenance program. As more enthusiasts begin to own the 458, general maintenance will be done by individuals just like older models.
    Many enthusiasts know more about Ferraris than professional mechanics and preform much more careful work. Nobody is going to treat your car as well as you will, and the fluid changes are mostly identical to any other car on the road. The Ferrari mystic costs many owners much more than it should.
    There are horror stories all over this board depicting “professional maintenance”, so you really have to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis.

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have them but manage to tear them as soon as I touch anything :D

willrace likes this.
  24. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There’s this too. Huge value killer.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua likes this.
  25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Not true. I’ve sold plenty of specialty cars that I’ve serviced myself and it’s never been an issue. Just keep the records and receipts in a tidy binder. I’m not talking about belt changes and major mechanical items, but there’s nothing wrong with doing your own fluid changes. It’s simple. My opinion of course.