the F40 is undervalued | Page 9 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are differences of origin, mileage, and probably condition, never mind location, sale order, time of sale, accompanying lots etc.
    without being there and seeing them in person, its hard to say what moved the prices around with much confidence

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    USA cars do comparatively bring more money, but Euro cars are not unloved.

3. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1990-ferrari-f40-7/

Gooding's 7500Mi F40 which got a high bid of 1,050,000 is now available with an ask of 1.3 for a few days, and no takers. Is anyone familiar with this car who can speak on its condition. Estimate was for between 1.2-1.4 which leads me to believe they'll even take an offer of 1.2, seems very reasonably priced.

4. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    seems like a bargain.
    why dont you just call them and ask the guy there - they will most likely have more info on the car themselves.

joe sackey likes this.
  5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Out of interest, how come the US spec car above cannot be registered in Cali?

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I noticed this disclaimer on many cars at the auctions. I think it must be an emissions thing.

7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    So here’s a question ... how many of you big F40 ballers actually drive these things regularly ? To coffee ? To dinner ? To the lake ? To Sedona for lunch ? Etc ...

MDS

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I think the answers depend quite a lot on values and where we are in the cycle. Back in 1994 I bought one which during the last bubble had been kept in storage from new for 3 years. Even had all the plastic interior wrappers. By then the bubble had collapsed and you could get them for less than list price, a long way from the 5 x list they were selling during 1990.

So I drove my 100k euro "investment" nearly 20,000 km in the next 3 years. Who would do that now?

When this current bubble is over, I think you'll see a few more on the roads, which is where they should be.

flat_plane_eddie and roma1280 like this.
  9. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    ^^^

I apologize for the “ballers” term ...

Let me try this again ... for those of you that own a F40 ... does the thought of making a few $100,000 if it appreciates really keep you from driving it ? You have one of the coolest cars ever in your garage and you can afford to buy it .... really ?

MDS

10. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    BarryK -

Bet those 20,000 km were a hoot !! Nice work.

MDS

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont get to drive most of my cars - not because of miles but because of time. that being said driving a 99 point f40 to dinner at < 55 mph and leaving it in a parking lot doesn't account to all that much fun, i've tried it. i have 300k miles across a few daily drivers and my average speed for all 3 cars is 26 mph. so id rather be in my FF or 430 spider that i dont care about, way easier to get in and out of if i'm going to dinner, shopping, etc...f40 is perfect when me and a couple friends want to have a playdate. at some point i'll add a high mile euro car and try it as a daily driver, maybe.

if i commuted on the autobahn daily i'd def drive it more.

BOKE and roma1280 like this.
  12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Dinner was probably a dumb example .... but lunch with the wife ???

;)

MDS

13. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have a 92 with 17,000 miles. So high mileage I guess, huh? The car is perfect aside from a Tubi exhaust. I drive it about once a month on Sundays going to see my in-laws who live in the country about 80 miles away with the radar detector set to "highway".

I would never buy a 1,700 mile car to stick in a collection. But if I did, I would just probably just start it once a month and drive it around the block then have a glass of cheap wine with it. :)

I think there is an argument for both.

Once you pay up for a low mileage car I think it stays low mileage - I can appreciate that.

If you want to drive one more frequently buy one with more mileage.

They are the same car.

The F40 is a well engineered car. They are not going to fall apart if treated and maintained properly.

14. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Fully agree
    Mine has 50000km and I drive it whenever I can!

roma1280, BaronM69, tomgt and 2 others like this.
  15. jeffmoore

jeffmoore Karting

Feb 19, 2011
    Unless you are in the business of making money with cars i would use a car for what it is intended, drive! ;-)

Thats what i do with my F40 as often as i have time. All together 500-1000km per year. Now it has 18k km and when i bought it 4 years ago it was sub 15k. I enjoy every km

fbrs2, tomgt and mikesufka like this.
  16. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Glad you are taking care of it Drew otherwise I'd be knocking on your door to buy it back!

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I drove mine to meet friends for breakfast last week! :)

I drove it to meet friends to watch F1 a few weeks ago also.

I don't drive it like that all the time, but I do drive it.

18. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    ... to the track, round the track and so far, back home again... imo there's very little point owning a supercar if you don't wring it's neck occasionally. In about 50 years my lawyer can worry about what its worth, or not, when I die!

amenasce likes this.
  19. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Fantastic

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its a tough call.
    i would like to say i drive it as often as i like, but that is not the truth.
    now that it is back in the same city as me, i intend to drive it, but i do worry about the state of roads in houston, and the fact that i have recently gotten a few speeding tickets. the f40 is easy to drive slow in town, but not as much fun as going fast, and the problem is that once you engage the turbo, you cant simply stomp on the brakes after you hit the speed limit...
    and then there is the 'other people' issue, where you are never quite sure what might happen, on the road or in a parking lot- these cars bring out some strange behavior

it (along withe other 2) will be garaged at drivers source in houston, which is a 30 min drive from my place, and is open during business hours.
    so the plan is to pick one up on fridays, drive it around on the weekend, keep it at the house for that week and maybe drive it a couple more times, and then return it friday and pick up another one and do the same again. rinse and repeat. that way they all get some exercise, and i change my automotive scenery on a weekly basis.

but even with these good intentions, i doubt i will end up driving it all that much. maybe 1k per year.

maybe i should drive it to san antonio or austin for the weekend - at least i have the luggage set !

2cam and fbrs2 like this.
  21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I had an 1,800 mile garage queen and it was the only car I basically didn’t drive. Putting 10,000 miles on it would cost you hundreds of thousands. The USA cars in particular are quite fragile, the seats, the stupid seatbelt on the rail that is always breaking etc. I was glad to sell it. I would like to buy back a high mile Euro car with leather seats and proper seatbelts and upgrade to LM brakes. As you all know the standard brakes are quite terrifying.

plastique999 and tomgt like this.
  22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    You're welcome to keep it at my place in Austin. I promise to take it out a couple of evenings each week for a workout on curvy, Austin backroads. ;)

2cam

23. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I bought a high mileage Euro car with Plexi windows (42,000 km) because thats the truest F40. The USA cars are akin to a USA Countach for me but instead of screwing with the engine they screwed 250lbs into it. To me the weight is a huge detractor alone for those cars not to mention they look like they have a mustache. Weird seats and belts to boot.The Euro cars are THE F40 and now us USA folk can have them. They are rather stark in contrast of you get them right next to each other. The USA cars are bolt on safety cars compared to the bare race car a Plexi window car is. The office inside feels so very different. I would love to have someone back to back both cars and review. I believe it may be quite enlightening.

Prediction is the USA cars trade off once good F40s come here and start getting restored. Only matter of time IMHO could be 10-15 yrs or more but thats my sense. As time goes on the importance of current condition seems to be on par with mileage for a collector car.

The fact tha multiple people above this very post made similar comments on how they would proceed with an F40 purchase underscores the shift is beginning....

ross likes this.
  24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the whole mileage thing is an enigma for me.
    these are machines meant to be used. keeping them idle is a waste.
    at the same time, when was the last time anybody cared about the mileage on a 275gtb? the answer is likely never.
    the same thing should apply to F40's.

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hopefully but unlikely because they made a good amount of them - so, albeit a slow process, clean ones can be found.