348 - Average cost of major service | FerrariChat

348 Average cost of major service

Discussion in '348/355' started by bballto, Aug 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    Give or take, what do you guys think is the ballpark cost of a major with clutch is?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Depends what clutch means. Just clutch plates, new TOB, repack Voith, maybe new flywheel, or machine work to resurface etc?
    Engine Major at Indy shop with no surprises 4K-6K.
    Clutch 2K-4K depending what you need.

BOKE and Qavion like this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Depends on where you live.

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You guys get sooooo fleeced on service costs!

Major with belts in the UK is $2.2k as a menu price inc taxes.

Not sure about clutch, but as above depends on the scope of work and what it’s being replaced with.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A major kit with Hill bearing from Ricambi is $1200 usd just for parts alone and that before oil other fluids.

BOKE and ernie like this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Depends on which thread you've read/which youtube vid you've watched/who you really believe.

If I count everything I did on my major, and the parts I bought for my flywheel re-pack...etc, I'm somewhere around $3500-4000 as DIY.

sjd

BOKE likes this.
  8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    My Mondial T coupe had it completed in New York a year ago and the day I bought the car. Major with clutch and it was about 12 grand at a reputable Ferrari shop.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I hear this all the time and there is no reason to not believe you but I have to wonder about the kind of work you are getting, or else the UK mechanic is working for $20 an hour.

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Seems it has always been thus!

That said mines going in for a major and belts this winter, either indie or main dealer I haven't decided yet. (Only considering the main dealer as they have an excellent reputation for older cars, competitive rates and they will be close to where we intend to move in a few years, so no harm in building up a relationship.)

When I do I'll start a thread on it; you can all shoot me down in flames then :D

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's just that the major service on a 348 done the factory way (engine removal) is 40 hours or more. The 348 has certain things that cost more such as valve adjustment, water pump replacement, not to mention cam timing (no debates please). There is no one in the US that would take on this for $2K.

BOKE likes this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think indie shops don't remove engines in UK, they drop the tank and swap belts and call it a day? Truly I read that.
    I'd love to see actual Ferrari dealer invoice for factory recommended major on a 348/355. Very suspicious of the 2k claim.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #13 ernie, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    I already put the Hill bearings in my F119 the last time I did my major. So next time it's just the belt, gaskets, and a new Ferraripilot water pump (that I have have sitting on the shelf waiting ;)). I am also gonna replace the questionable front bearing for the drive pulley, in the timing chain cover, with a Hill bearing. The bearing I installed was from an unknown manufacture, and Hill didn't have their bearing out yet. Think I need to give Daniel-San a call.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #14 ernie, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    If you are doing the work yourself $500-$2400 depending on how deep you go into the major. Then you can add in another $450-$3500 for the clutch, depending on the condition of the flywheel and other parts. Again this is doing ALL your own work.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And the specific car (maintained or neglected) plus who's buying/owning along with what are the plans for the next few years. In other words... too many variables.

However, here's an example of the 30k service, with clutch work (and other "while you're in there stuff), preformed on the '92 tb I bought from an Indy in north Florida (who imported the car and completed the service).

1992 348 tb, April 2016, 25,694 miles (41,350 km):

Parts/supplies: $5810.00
    Labor on 70 hrs @ $95.00 per hour: $6650.00
    Tax @ 7.5: 935.00
    Total: $13,395.00

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    Wonder if anybody would chime in on thoughts on the "drop the tank belt job".

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Fairly incorrect statement. Yes you can drop the tank and do a major that way. Not many indies will do this even if you ask them too; and certainly no main dealer.

As to the invoice above, for a standard cambelt and major, take of the following items off as a minimum:
    - 4* hood trusts ($336.86)
    - complete pully set ($499.80)
    - CV Boot clamps (477.76)
    - Expansion tank cap ($73.56)
    - Clip ignition wire ($30.42)
    - water pump ($449.73) (You can get a new one from a Ferrari main dealer over here for a lot less!)
    - clutch release bearing ($999.43)
    - all other clutch items ($918.87)

Probably a few other items that are not part of a scheduled major/cambelt. So $3,386.43 in parts of the bill, and probably 1/2 the labour cost to cover them! certainly not comparing apples with apples here!

As Brian says above; The Ferrari Centre is probably one of the best respected indies in the UK and they drop the engine. Here is another, from somebody who restores and wins concourse cars Ferraris...https://www.barkaways.com/services/view/barkaways-servicing broadly the same price!

Sorry bit its just cheaper maintenance over here; but our cars cost more to buy!

19. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What he said!

I don't live too far away, but about 4 years ago I was quoted "$8,500" for a total job. I thought it will be about $11K with all the 'should do' "While we're in there" things. I missed by $35. (and change).

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To each his won, but I personally would NEVER do it this way.

The car was built and designed to have the engine come out for service, not sure why anyone would ever deviate from that or "re-invent the wheel".

21. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Asking a question about suppliers. I see a lot of references to Ricambi for parts, but has anyone had any experience with Ferrari Parts Exchange? https://www.ferraripartsexchange.com

I am building up my parts list for the thrust bearing (I’m going to tackle myself) and they had a well organized parts page. Ricambi’s looked to be a copy of what Algar and Scuderia are using (much different prices across the board).

Shout out and many thanks to @Ferrarium and others for links and support. I’ve converted them into a project list in Google Docs that I can access from my shop laptop. I’ll gladly share here to get feedback on what I might be missing when I plug in a few values on the parts.

Many thanks in advance for shared experiences and feedback on suppliers (I’m in the USA).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #22 Ferrarium, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    I use T. Rutlands and Ferrparts as well as Ricambi and https://www.ebay.com/str/Tony-Randazzo-308-Ferrari-Maserati/Ferrari-328-348-355/_i.html?_storecat=7562594012 and a few others on ebay that often have parts other don't like NOS parts that are NLA.

Many Bosch parts I get from Porsche re-sellers on ebay.

Find the part number and check Ebay you can often find the parts new there cheap. Also call T Rutlands they often have stuff other dont like door janb AMP connectors. :) If I need many parts that are available I just go to Ricambi. They ship really fast.

Check these guys for great prices too. http://www.superformance.co.uk/348/

cardude442 likes this.
  23. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Ricambi are hard to beat for service but with the current exchange rates parts are much cheaper in the UK, and for a larger order for a major shipping is reasonable. I've had good service from https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari

cardude442 likes this.
  24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    cardude442 likes this.
  25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That seems reasonable for all the work with heads! I read a lot of posts where people mention in passing their heads redone though. Sure seems like a lot of 355's with heads redone.