Help! ****ing key will not work on Daytona | FerrariChat

Help! ****ing key will not work on Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    crinoid likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    OK deep breath!

I have had a lock failure like this...but FIRST.....do some trouble shooting.

IF the steering wheel is turned off center, it imposes a stress on the lock rod, that runs between the switch and the column!
    So, go back, and while GENTLY pressuring the wheel back and forth, see if one direction or the other will unbind the rod and allow the switch to turn.

This lock rod/column switch thing is long NLA, so be GENTLE with everything!

More to follow....

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Maybe turn steering while wiggling key?

BigTex likes this.
  4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Second possibility:

Based upon the wear of the key, and the related "rooftop" pins that ride in the lock assembly, in four or five little vertical cylinders, on springs...it's possible one of them decided to go walkabout, and has left the vertical bore and is lodged loose against the key in another spot, jamming the whole thing and not allowing the switch to turn, as all of these pins, of various lengths, align nested into the key cut, and allow the switch to turn.

That's how the lock works.

This is also indicated if you cannot retract the key. Jiggle the key shank vertically up and down, forcing it to turn is no good and eventually the key will break off fluch in the lock, as my Body Shop was kind enough to do, in my car.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So, from where you sit, out in the lawn, IF nothing works as above, to get the wheel lock to unbind, or release the immobile key from the ignition switch, it's time for some heavy lifting.

Lying on your back under the dash, you will have to remove the lock/switch/rod, as an assembly, because that's how the part comes out.

Once the rod is out of the column, the steering wheel will unlock, you can move the car around by hand.

A Safe and Lock guy, a good one, will drive a hidden pin out of the lock, freeing the inner assembly of rooftop pins, springs, and sh*t will fly all OVER the counter top. Then it's necessary to inspect the vertical bores, that tend to wear enlarged, especially at the shorter rooftop pins. You may need a new part, at this point.

But, in my case, he decided that if he used longer rooftop pins, that nested deeper into the bores, the old part could be reused.
    After doing that, and rearranging them into a Best Case scenario, he then cut a set of new keys, which of course are far different from those older ones.

Put it all back together, throw all your old key sets away, and your original Factory Codes, if you have them, are meaningless.

If you have to get to this final step, it's because one of the short rooftop pins has broken out of the bore, and there's not any way to avoid the repairs described above.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..and put some antibiotic ointment and BandAid on that finger.
    :D :D :D

Daytonafan likes this.
  7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #7 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Well...I just discovered i don't deserve to post here. In fact I deserve to be banned just on the grounds of simple Stupidity. Turns out I had a friend helping me with the shoot. After fing with it in the South Carolina heat and humidity for about an hour, my friend said do you have another key? Yes, in fact. But this key started it fine. So I got the other key. Tom put it in and it did not work. As he handed me the key I asked him to try it again. This time it worked! And knowing I posted this like a hot head I instantly felt like a fool. So it is the old worn key switch story. Geez.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Jack-the-lad and crinoid like this.
  8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Ooops, I did not see your post before mine. Sorry. You explained it much better.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looking at that upper key that quit working compared to the lower one, you can se my point.

That upper key has the Codes it's the OEM key from the factory, and it's worn as smooth as a pork rib bone, after I knaw it down!!
    Far better a new key cut than the procedure I described above, which takes at best, three days!!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have scars on my back from this procedure!!
    Thanks

PS Not really, as it was JRV on his back, under the dash on my misadventure.
    "They say" you are not supposed to lube a lock, but I use a dry graphite into mine......
    Who cares what they say!!
    :D :D :D

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    That's how frantic I was. That was caused by continuously turning against the wrong key.:cool:

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm glad it came to a good ending regardless. Don't worry...we all push the panic button occasionally.

srslusso likes this.
  13. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Does Julie know you are out fooling with her Daytona? She will now

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Haha of course. I'm her valet, stevedore, and le mari! I often go by the French/Spanish name of Dr. Valet Stevedore, or for you just call me Juan. Getting ready for the Hilton Head Island Concours, come join us. BTW, this Daytona is a driver, no concours queen, just the way it should be. Oh, I forgot to add copilot and boat captian the the mix....

15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I am starting to worry about you David......

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Me too...look at the disapproving looks I got as I pulled the car in. I though about you the other day, how you been? When you coming down the mountain to see us? Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Well... It seems the end result is worth it. Great shots.

19. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Note that I haven't said a thing.....Malcolm

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #20 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Julie says Hi Malcolm!

21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    David, I miss seeing you and Julie. Hope you fly over the top of the house sometime. I did meet a lady in Highlands a few weeks, she saw the Ferrari and said do I know you and Julie. I said "of course not", didn't want to do myself in before I heard the rest. I assumed you had done something in Highlands that is still talked about to this day.... wasn't sure. But her husband is the pilot that lands in your Lake during the Ferrari Fest we use to have at your house. By the way, are you back in the house.
    Best,
    John

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #22 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    View attachment 2817784 View attachment 2817785 View attachment 2817793 View attachment 2817794
    Lol, yes we have blazed a trail through Highlands a time or two and we miss the good times for sure and you guys. It is a evolution so to speak. Have not moved in but there almost every day. I believe the property should be commercial, something for a greater good or use so it is something we are discussing. Two people living there did not make a lot of sense, but living in what I would call art was fulfilling. Here is a picture that was taken just before the fire and the great eclipse, ergo the goggles. You can see the curvature of the house from this shot. There are not many straight lines.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Patek likes this.
  23. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    ok, so back to the keys, and what might seem like a really dumb question. Can you order a cut key for a 1971 Daytona? So if it is worn down, how to you get it cut properly? A link would be very helpful, in the meantime I will do the search bar.

24. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Starting????

Have you ever been a passenger in a car David was driving? Or tried to follow him? I once kept 10 Ferraris in an orderly fashion to exit I40 on our way to lunch. David broke from the back of the pack blew by me and nearly missed the turn.

I have known David for a long time. I am still and probably always will be worried !

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    There are repro blanks you can buy. Any qualified locksmith can cut it for you. I have a real original Niemann blank. I will trade a week with the F40 for the blank.