USAA Insurance | FerrariChat

USAA Insurance

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bob Zambelli, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Has anyone here ever dealt with USAA for their automobile/homeowners insurance?

Bob Z.

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I've been a client for over 30 years. I've had one automobile and one homeowner claim in those years. Both were handled without a problem, but that was long before they decided to go big. Their customer service has suffered greatly, both on the banking and insurance sides, in my opinion. When they started out they were for officers only. Then they went to all service members regardless of rank. Now they're for all service members plus their family members. Every time they broadened their customer base their customer service suffered. Now they're pretty much like any other financial institution.

I don't know how their rates compare with other insurers because frankly I'm too lazy to shop rates.

JCR likes this.
  3. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I no longer use them for insurance except for a flood policy. They paid out very well on that one.

Find a broker and get a discount by bundling policies

Thomas Magnum and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    #4 judoug88, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    I’ve used them for 15+ years (including for banking), one renters claim and one auto claim in the last 5 years and both times the process was incredibly easy. I also recently did some shopping around on rates and their rates were significantly lower than anyone else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    From an insurance claim perspective they are among the best to deal with, if not the best of the broader market insurers. Only one I've heard more praise for is Chubb.

Funny enough just the other day another plaintiff's lawyer friend who's wife is Army Reserves was bragging to me at lunch that he has USAA insurance. I joked that I wish I could still enlist to get it too.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    their rates used to be really good. no longer. the service is still top notch

7. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I've been a member through a 39 year Navy career and a bunch more after. While it's true their rates are no longer as low as the preferred risk commissioned officer only days, they are still very good. Service is still excellent. I've had three comprehensive claims over the years, including a windshield on our 360. No problem with OEM glass and the repair shop of my choice. All said, I'm very happy with the company still. (I did vote against the expansion)

8. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I have them for auto and echo the great service, but everything else like home owners is a bit pricey compared to other institutions

9. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I’ve been with USAA for over 30 years. I’ve made three claims in that time and couldn’t have been happier with their service. Although I no longer use them for banking, we have all our insurance with them, and an auto loan at a phenomenal rate.

I’ve been solicited by other insurers over the years. They always promise a better deal, but when it comes down to it, none have justified switching.

I too was against them going public, but with mandatory insurance, it was inevitable. Particularly in CA.

10. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I have also been with USAA for over 30 years. Agree with the previous comments on insurance. They are very reliable and pretty cost competitive for Auto...less so for Home. Have not been as happy with their banking from a customer service perspective. Overall a great company and I have no plans to go elsewhere.

11. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been with USAA for 42 years. Super service on home and cars (2 Grand Cherokees, 99 Cherokee Sport, 94 Corvette), the rates beat all other companies, at least for me. I have an 86 328 and 72 Dino 246 that I insure through USAA's classic car sub American Modern. The rates on those cars are substantially lower than other companies, Chubb, Haggerty, etc. And as a bonus, for members over 40 years USAA has been sending a check for $1000/year for each year over the 40th year. Don't know how long they plan on doing that but no complaints here. (I've had claims for hail damage on the house and an old Jeep that got rolled. Handled extremely well and quickly).

12. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Member for 45+ years. Have five cars and house with them as well as Visa card. No issues and the few claims over the years were handled well. We particularly like the return of premiums on our policies every November, my senior member dividend every February and the little bonus on the Visa once a year.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #13 Jack-the-lad, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    I crossed swords with them about five years ago over their policy of not insuring more than one dwelling in Florida per client. It seems arbitrary especially when they said that the policy did not apply to coastal properties in two different states. So they woukd insure a home on the Florida Gold Coast and another on the outer banks, but not on the Florida Gulf coast.

And then about ten years ago I wanted to get collector car coverage on a Ferrari and they referred me to some company that practically wanted to do a colonoscopy in their underwriting. I said screw this and went to one of the brand name insurers.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Been with them for 30+ years.

They handle all my insurance.

I recently moved my 2 Ferrari’s / Aston / Mercedes sl to Haggerty for agreed value policies. USAA doesn’t do that.

One home owner claim with leaky roof, one parking lot accident with my wife and one break-in 10 years ago on an SUV. All handled quickly and fairly.

I would not not go anywhere else.

Robb

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Also USAA for 45 years. I literally have no experience with any other insurer. Haven't made a claim or gotten a speeding ticket in over fifteen years so I have super low rates.

16. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well, I don't know about that one. I'll just say that I have been a member for more than anyone quoted here, and while I've been getting nice rebates, they have never even approached $1K/year membership.

But, on the topic of "How are they?" I had always thought they did a "bang-up" job as that is usually what I hear or read; then I went to a Porsche meeting on car prep. The principle speaker was the owner of a very highly regarded autobody repair shop. He told a story about repair on an expensive Porsche where the "insurer" would NOT pay for the work to be done "properly". He purposely did not name the insurer, but I went to him privately after the program, and he said, USAA. That said, they still have the insurance for my Cayman S and other cars, but, of course, they don't have my 355, Chubb has that.

17. tejasemser

tejasemser Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    I've been a member for 51 years, with both auto and home owners, and everything posted above is spot on. Was it better when it was 'officer only?' Difficult to say.... But over the decades I've made several claims; accidents, stolen car, storm damage, etc. Every single one was handled seamlessly, quickly, and professionally. Full disclosure ... I'm no exotic owner. As I'm 76 the chances are looking slim I ever will be. But who knows....

18. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner

19. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Loyal USAA member for 20+ years. Rates aren't always the lowest but I don't care about that. Their service is the best and they won't cancel your policy if you have "too many" claims in one year like other insurers will. The exception is exotic/collector car insurance...USAA goes through a third party underwriter, American Collector Car insurance or something like that. I didn't like the coverage they offered so went with another company instead for my "fun" cars.

20. dvelez2

dvelez2 Karting

Jan 20, 2016
    Full Name:
    Daniel A. Velez
    Have had 3 F’s with them, 458, 488 and 348. Good service and I did shop around for rates. They were the lowest. No agreed value deals if that’s important to you.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Just got a quote for about $1200/yr for a 2001 360 Spider. About the same as our S550. I may later look for an "agreed on value" policy later but for now, USAA has my business.

22. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I’ve been with USAA for almost 30 years, they have been an outstanding company but like Jack-The-Lad has stated, their service is not as good as it once was. That said, years ago when my first home (log home) burned to the ground, they paid out quickly.

Auto insurance rates in Louisiana truly suck, they are stupid high yet no one that I’ve come across can compete with USAA’s rates except when it came to my 308. Chubb won out as I liked their rate and agreed upon value.

23. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not a fan of USAA. I was with them for over 20 years. When my auto policy came up for renewal, I thought the price was high so I called Geico. They were $300 less expensive for the exact same coverage. When I called USAA and stated that a "for profit income tax paying competitor" was much less expensive, the lady asked me to hold as she would find out why. When she came back, she stated that North Carolina had a rate reduction and that I would pay less NEXT renewal. This really peed me off as they were going to "stick it to me for as long as they could".

It is ironic that they brag about serving the military. North Carolina has one of the most military basis in the United States. USAA has been sued by the NC Dept of Insurance for overcharging their customers.

If you live near the coast (at least in North Carolina) you can forget getting home coverage. You may want to read this article http://ncadvocate.net/index.php/2017/06/26/usaa-is-facing-a-1-8-m-verdict They used to be a great "member owned" company - but not anymore.

24. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    We have USAA now after being with Shelter for years. USAA is a lot cheaper (and has a more comprehensive coverage) than Shelter.
    USAA wouldn't do agreed value on my 400i, so they referred me to their "partner" American Collectors. They are connected in some way that I don't yet understand, but American Collectors is very reasonable and has been easy to deal with increases in the agreed value over the years.
    It is very difficult to compare insurance companies without really (and I mean really) reading the policies.

25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Meh, always 20-25% more than my current matched Geico policy.

State dependent probably though.