New car revealed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New car revealed

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #26 DeSoto, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Packaging wise, cars could be a lot shorter but a longer tail leaves more free space for the floor. Maybe a wheel base limit would not be out of place, given the limos they´re racing nowadays and that with the new regulations the floor will be more important.

I have some hope with the new regulations, esentially because things can´t get worse. They even bothered to make the halo less ugly. But DRS is still there, so it´s not enough for me. And I hate the wheel hubs.

John_K_348, Bas and william like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree, DRS entirely unnecessary in the 2021 formula. and would prefer to see (much) shorter cars.

kandi likes this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Nobody in F1 ever tells the complete and unadulterated truth.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No wheel base limit--too confining.

What you can do is have a non-F1 manufacture build the floors and mandate that only these floors can be used. Presto, defacto Wheel Base standard.

375+ likes this.
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Keeping DRS makes me think that the numbers they're selling about downforce loss for the car behind are "optimistic".

Hey, it's Tombazis: when was the last time that the guy got something right?

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Very true, but these so called experts have got it drastically wrong for years, what is going to be any different with the proposals put forward, was it 2008 when the overtaking & technical working groups were set up to avoid this very problem they now say they have a solution for, 11 years later!!

its got worse and don't see it getting any better regardless of some fancy model put out to appease the media [fans] & sponsors.

Tony

Jeronimo GTO and Nortonious like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The way to getting it better is to ban all aerodynamic surfaces {wings, barge boards, winglettes, diplanes, spointers, monkey seats,...}

But what makes you (or anyone) think they want to get better?

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Actually no; it"s in fact a very simple and practical way to prevent excesses in design.

I think we have already passed that threshold in F1 now, and why the aero have become so dominant.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I think DRS should be done away with in the new spec. And then restore testing. It's really lame to see another car that doesn't have the real pace to qualify ahead, parasite draft a car in front of it that had to back off for tire management or something. The epic pass of Vettel on Hamilton up the long Kemmel straight at Spa when they were playing with the battery setup in 2018 was unforgettable. The first lap, heavy with fuel! Sure that's MGU related but this was on the first lap with no DRS.

Every other issue is restricted by no testing. How can we call it sport and competition when you have to sit on your hands all week and not do any scientific trial and error? Coordinating the tires with the chassis and aero really requires testing, and this is what has hampered SF since going with the low down force car. The tires are just out to lunch. And Pirellis at that!.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Exactly. DRS passes are uneventful and require far less skill to pull off...Who really remembers any of them? No one does.

John_K_348 and stavura like this.