Driving with a dead Oil Pressure Sender Unit | FerrariChat

Driving with a dead Oil Pressure Sender Unit

Discussion in '348/355' started by DaisyCutter, Aug 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    At the risk of being overly cautious and probably asking a daft question; is it ok to drive with a non-functioning oil pressure sender unit until I fix or fit a replacement?

Both metal threads that come out of the sender unit have fatigued, broken and can no longer hold the securing nut and therefore also the wires, hence an oil pressure gauge that now reads off the scale. The engine itself is in rude health and has carried perfect oil pressure so I am not worried about that.

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess you can, but I wouldn't unless you have to.

I have a little lifter tic on my car. Not driving it unless I have to, even though everyone says it's fine.

DaisyCutter likes this.
  3. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I always thought that was the most important gauge to have in a car. It’s a stop NOW gauge, right?

Wade and DaisyCutter like this.
  4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dayan,

You've diagnosed the reason for for the pegged needle on your oil pressure gauge. A replacement sender is necessary and easily installed. Consider purchasing this oil pressure sender boot to help protect your new sender and extend its life...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's available at Ricambi America: 135940-B OIL PRESSURE SENDER COVER

Is your car safe to drive? It most likely is. A true complete loss of oil pressure makes itself known very quickly.

Barry

ssnowball, WATSON and DaisyCutter like this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Surely it won't take long to source and fit a new sender?

Are you more worried about the gauge electrics than the engine?

The terminal post marked G is for the gauge. WK is for the warning light. Don't let the WK wire lug touch earth (ground) or it will put the light on. By off-scale, do you mean fully clockwise? I'm sure the gauge is quite capable of handling an open circuit sender.

Here's a typical gauge circuit... but I haven't confirmed the resistances.

If you're only going to drive the car a couple of times until you get a new sender, you could probably even superglue the lugs onto the sender (as long as there is some good metal to metal contact). Zip tie the wires so that if they do come loose, they don't fall down. and clean up the lugs before installing the new one.

You'll need a 24mm open ended spanner and, in some cases a heat gun (or warm up the engine and be careful not to burn yourself). The amount of force required to remove the old sender can be a little scary. The thing it screws into is really expensive. The sender can let go with a loud crack which scares the hell out of you.
    Torque specs are 25Nm (18lbs/ft) for the sender, but unless you have a crowsfoot or something similar, you won't be able to use a torque wrench. Don't apply too much torque to the nuts on the electrical contacts. As you can see, these posts are very fragile.

One of the first jobs I did on my car was change the oil pressure sender. The previous owner had drilled into the top of a broken post and put a self-tapping screw into the hole :confused:

DaisyCutter, 308 GTB and MAD828 like this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just swapped the the oil pressure sender with a new one as a preventive measure and I got the boot too, but working under the intake runners there is just no room and could not finagle the dang boot on. It also does nto fit amazing on the 348 sender btw. The sender is under the intake plenum and is protected somewhat, definitely from rain water, so I pulled it back out, removed the boot and reinstalled it as it was originally.

DaisyCutter likes this.
  7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It should fit perfectly. The same sender is used on both the 348 and F355 - Part No. 135940

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'm sure that's what he means, Ian. The needle pegs all the way to the right - clockwise with a failed sender.

DaisyCutter and Qavion like this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It sounds like the 348's sender is harder to get to than the 355's. One of the biggest problem I found in removing the 355's was finding a place to position a long spanner on the sender without it hitting wiring harnesses and other engine bay components.

Before the application of heat, I had a ring spanner hooked up to the end of my open ender for extra leverage and it still didn't move.

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The sender boot is a good idea on my F355 Challenge but is essential on my 550. Its position makes it very vulnerable to standing water and road crud. There are a set of louvers on the undertray which afford it some protection...

Several louvers on my undertray broke over the years so I had this hardware cloth screen assembly fabricated to replace the louvers. The boot was installed on the sender about five years ago. The sender is the same Part No. 135940 used on my F355. Since its installation, my oil pressure gauge has behaved normally. Prior to that, I would get the needle pegged high scenario about every two or three years.

11. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Hi everyone, thank you all for the responses. Just brilliant.

While I may have been quick to diagnose the cause of the (supposed) rising oil pressure issue, I didn't such do a good job of defining my query to you all. Apologies for that.

I am ABSOLUTELY going to replace the sender unit as soon as I can get one delivered. I watch this gauge more than any other and I like everything to work correctly. The reason for my question was that I wasn't 100% sure whether the oil pressure sender and gauge work in total isolation from the rest of the car's electrics/diagnostics, etc. With the needle 'off the scale' (fully to the right) I just wanted to clarify that there would be no further implications as in SDL's or the like, beyond not seeing the actual oil pressure itself.

Delivery times can be extended in Sweden at the moment due to recent additional postal processing times (we can thank Wish for this) and I have a couple of circumstances which require me to drive the car around a bit before I am likely to see a replacement part on my doorstep. Just wanted to be safe and not sorry that if I run the car I won't be making anything worse.

Again, thank you all for the detailed responses and in particular the 'how-to' guides on replacing the sender unit, very much appreciated.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Don't worry, the oil pressure and temperature have no inputs into the engine management system. Coolant (water) temperature does matter.

DaisyCutter and 308 GTB like this.
  13. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    That's what I thought Ian and thank you for underlining it. I didn't want this engine to go bang through ignorance.

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dayan, to help reassure you further, I once did a two-day HPDE track event with my 550's oil pressure gauge giving these same erroneously high readings. This was several years ago before the boot became available. Nothing happened to the car that day or anytime it happened previous to that.

DaisyCutter likes this.
  15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Ain't that the truth! You'll know when it happens, because your wallet will simultaneously fly out the window.

@DaisyCutter we have the boot + sender in stock, and ship worldwide everyday via FedEx.

DaisyCutter, 308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  16. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Cheers Barry. I wouldn't normally give this kind of thing a second thought on 'any other car'...but this one isn't just 'any other car'.

308 GTB likes this.
  17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Dayan.

Both the 550 and F355 give high readings when the sender fails or the contacts need cleaning. It never happened with my F355 but I cleaned the contacts and installed the boot prophylactically.

With dirty contacts on the 550, oil pressure read normally at idle but pegged the needle high when driving. After cleaning the contacts and installing the boot, this hasn't happened again in ~5 years.

We have to be confident that the oil pumps are functioning normally when this occurs and that the problem is either with the sender or the gauge. Historically, it's just about always the sender. And as Ian mentioned, the sender-gauge circuit is isolated from the engine management system.

Order the sender and boot from Daniel at Ricambi America so you can fix the matter quickly.

Barry

DaisyCutter and Bertil like this.