Ferrari 458 P2402 Code diag help | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 P2402 Code diag help

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bowtye8, Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    Looking for some guidance. This code popped up. Tried to reset with HP tuners. Came came upon shutdown and restart.
    Brought to a local exotic car dealer. They performed a smoke test on the evap sytem. Checked god but said the secondary air pump ckt (motor) was open.
    I figured I would scope it out myself.
    Pulled secondary pump and ohm'd. Had resistance. So connected to a 12v source. Pump motor spun and was blowing.(I did not confirm the amp draw)

So I would assume the pump is good.
    Any ideas or guidance what to check next?

Thanks

2. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Is there an evap fuel purge valve on the 458? I had the same code on my Aston Martin and it turned out to be this valve that was located in the passenger front wheel well. I think it ended up being a $40 ford part. :)

Melvok likes this.
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Simple Google search :D

P2402 is an OBD-II generic code for the engine control module (ECM) detecting the evaporative system leak
    detection pump control circuit has a high voltage signal return.

This is common on higher mileage vehicles; how many miles on your vehicle ?

Simply reset with your OBDII sensor, piece of cake; if happens more often, replace pump.

4. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks- Yep I have been googling it. I reset the code 5 times. Keep coming back. I was going to replace pump. Pulled it and put 12volts to it. Spun right up.
    Check all hoses best I can.
    Reading more I need a scan tool that will initiate the the test. I have a meter on the plug(harness) that should supply the 12volts. I have not seen 12volts yet. I think its only on cold start and under certain conditions. It could also be the relay that supplies the 12volts. The ECM is low voltage to a relay that pulls in to give 12v....not sure where that is.
    Its a cool morning in FL. Will try again from a pure cold engine this AM watch for 12v on startup.

Thanks

5. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    When I had this fixed on my Aston, it only had 6k (!!) miles. The tech ran a smoke test and was able to see the purge valve was faulty. The DMTL pump was fine. Not sure if this is something that can be tested on the 458? Hope this helps and good luck. Please keep us posted!

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Pitty tht it's coming back; there must be some hardware failing ...

What does your dealer tell you ? (Besides "bring here in") :D

7. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    I had a local exotic dealer smoke test it. All good. Said open ckt in motor.
    I removed motor and hooked up to 12v. Pwrd right up.. Check for 12v on plug on car. Was hard to diagnose. Car has to be totally cold (pure cold start) I did finally see 12v. Had to let sit over night. Reassembled and everything seems to be working.. Have not driven far yet. Just some idle time. but so far no codes. So not 100% sure. Maybe plug(or pin connection) was loose.
    Fingers crossed.

action-ant likes this.
  8. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    I just resolve this problem today... Just change evap with new one... That's all..
    I'm not that type who drive every day, but you have to check the air pipes in the car, believe me, even if your car is new and clean, you'll find some things that need to be replaced by new pieces to avoid problems...
    For example before I change the evap system I keep on receiving errors for O2 sensors and it was random soo what I did I change all the 4 sensors and accidently I found some dry parts already cracked and many other parts.
    Imagine driving your car with all that faults what could be happen.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F485 likes this.
  9. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Thank you

It seems I have the same

10. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    How did you resolve this in the end please?

11. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Hello, I left it by itself and got it fixed. I used fuel injector cleaner 2 times as well.

Please don't fill the gas tank in your car as it causes issues to evap system. it happened in 2 cars and it got fixed by itself.

If you know a specialized garage to clear the code and drive the car regularly it shouldn't come again.

12. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Hi,
    where is the EVAP Diagnostic Pump located on the 458 spider please?
    I know that it is connected directly to the Fuel Vapour Filter (image attached) but cannot see this item anywhere in the 458 spider engine bay (have engine cover removed).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Check my thread regarding canister

Richard Browne likes this.
  14. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thank you have just checked...So positioned front of left rear wheel well/arch?

What error code were you getting to need to change the Canister Filter please?

I am getting a P2402 'System Leakage Detection Pump Control Circuit High (Maximum)' error and am looking to first replace the purge valves and then the Diagnostic Pump which is connected to the Vapour Filter unit.

15. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Hi Richard,

do you have hard ignition after gas refueling? does the error come after/during refueling?

if yes, then that canister needs to be changed and clean by air pressure the connected pipes.

16. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    No I have no issues at all with how the car drives, only the ECL which results in the P2402 error code.

17. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    #17 F485, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    most probably the canister, in the meantime you can reset the computer and then it happens again then it will be confirmed. there many ways to clean/change the canister in online.

check the below code references:
    • Defective or damaged fuel cap
    • Distorted or damaged Fuel Tank Filler Neck
    • Small tear or puncture in the Evaporative system hose(s) and/or Carbon Canister
    • Defective Fuel Tank Sending Unit gasket or seal
    • Small split in a seam of the Carbon Canister
    • Defective Evaporative Vent Valve and/or Evaporative Purge Valve
    • Defective or damaged Fuel Tank
    • Defective Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
    • Defective Leak Detection Pump
    • Slightly loose and/or worn clamps or hardened O-rings anywhere in the EVAP system

18. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Thanks....Wow, P2402 can be pretty much any issue with the EVAP system?
    The error actually states 'EVAP (Evaporative Emission) Left Bank System Leakage Detection Pump Control Circuit High (Maximum)'
    would the not point to specifically the Diagnostic Pump? Or is the the same error you received under the P2402?

19. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Not sure, better to be checked and confirmed

20. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name: