Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 39 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    An EV
    around the neighborhood grocery getter may become the norm. Write when I can get from NY to Houston or LA with the wife,kids and dogs and fill up in 5 minutes. Or leave an ev out in the cold overnight and make 40 miles in the cold before it dies.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have made this argument or point many times with other car folks.

Back in the day (1970's) when we were getting ready for a road trip with my family, my father would bust out the AAA maps the night before and map out all the destinations before the final destination, MAINLY because gas stations were not as abundant and convenient as they were back then as they are now. Fast forward 40+ years and who needs a map anymore? We have gps and there is practically a gas station anywhere, anytime.

BUT, EV cars have brought traveling back to the olden days/70's. You have to plan your stops to charge again. You have to plan your lunches or longer pit stops because of the time to charge...lame.

A typical drive from either Sacramento to LA or Las Vegas for me is super easy and fun for me and wife/kids in my QP or CL600 or RAM Dually. It would NOT be fun in an EV.

Those of you who argue the EV for getting groceries or cutting commute time. I get that. Buy a Volt. That is what my wife has. It is hard to justify a $100k HOV lane car or "grocery getter" around town.

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I actually find road tripping in my Tesla to be more relaxing and less stressful than I used to in my old BMW. My kids need to stop right now every 2.5 hours or so, while the car is good for 4 hours, so we are never stopping for the car. However when we do stop rather than hitting up the gas station and with its questionable bathrooms and getting McDs from the drive thru so we can get back on the road right away, instead we'll sit down and have a nice relaxing meal together. The car is always done charging by the time we finish eating anyway. With the in car navigation and ubiquity of Tesla Superchargers nowadays there is no need to plan anything either.

Even if I did find that irritating I only take road trips that I can't do in a single charge a few times a year. In my BMW I was wasting time every single week stopping at the gas. I would gladly trade a slightly less convenient road trip for the convenience of being able to refuel at home.

paulchua likes this.
  4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    We’ll that’s one opinion, I don’t find having EV infrastructure dictate my trips or stops enjoyable.
    That said I have a deposit down on a Taycan but my usage will only local commuting not road trips assuming I actually pull the trigger on the deal.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
  6. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I'm an auto mechanic and truthfully to each his own . There's not one thing at this time that makes sense to me about EV cars unless it' s a commuter in a major metro area .

7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    We have no differentials. This changes the entire driving experience. You can get on the gas earlier post apex than any other car. Our very early prototype set a lap record at the Nürburgring. You can watch it on YouTube.

EVs in general also require a lot less auto mechanics. When we were testing at Laguna Seca, a bunch of them came up to me and said "I wish you would just go away". Unfortunately, it's not me and my ilk that are going anywhere.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't see it as competition for ICE sports cars. It's a Rolex vs Apple watch argument. They don't actually compete against one another.

Btw cool EV. I think it would be a huge success if you could bring the price down to $125k instead of $1.25m...

I'm 360 Canuck and m5shiv like this.
  9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I would love to do that and we feel that with future models we can bring the price down considerably to say, Ferrari prices. To do it out the gate, that takes billions in investment. We are barely breaking even at the current price.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah I figured the price was mainly due to lack of economies of scales. It looks to address where Tesla falls in design and quality as they took a very conservative approach to put it nicely. With those two parts fixed the added power is just the icing on the cake. :)

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The Tesla has two open diffs, so wheel control is still unidrectional and analog. It's a different game with GTE. That's real cake.

12. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    lol bet you wish you kept the Ferrari after the loss today. WOWWWWWW, cringe.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I am confident that @JERRYZ did a hell of a lot better on TSLA than you did buying a used kali, Adam.:rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tarek307 likes this.
  14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    The guy bought TSLA in 2014, meaning in or under $200 range most likely , so i'd say he is still doing very very well ..before you talk smack you should think so you don't make yourself look like a you know what! looks like the "lol" is on you!

BOKE likes this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Feb 11, 2014 TSLA was around $200/share. So 65% or so increase since then. SPY (S&P 500) was 180 then and now up over 72% not including 2% or so annual dividends. So passive investing in the S&P 500 was better.

The new pickup truck is horrific, but I'm sure there are enough Tesla fanboys/sackriders to buy them.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  16. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    i'm no TSLA fan boy and lost a lot of money playing in the stock market, realized it wasn't for me, too emotional..i was just responding to the guys dig at the OP ;) obviously he would have made a healthy profit (assuming he sold lets say today) if he sold his ferrari and bought TSLA when it was $200

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I never really understood the comparison of stocks vs cars/Ferraris. One is an actual investment while the other is a tangible asset meant to enjoy driving and looking at that can sometimes go up in value.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lately..collector cars have been behaving exactly like stocks. Up and down like a toilet seat. The trend has been heading down for a while now tho.

I honestly think Elon is pulling a fast one with this..from the look of the truck to the ball breaking the unbreakable glass etc..I think he is pranking us.

I'm 360 Canuck, randkin and VAF84 like this.
  19. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yeah, I particularly liked the bulletproof windows demonstration on the truck which couldn’t stop a hand thrown large ball bearing.:D:D:D:D
    I would guess it must have been thrown at least 30 mph at a distance of 10 feet. I would however bet it could stop nerf projectiles with no damage to the glass!:rolleyes:

20. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    That’s exactly what I thought. I think it’s a joke... the truck looks like a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. MWHC4S

MWHC4S Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What is the benefit to a company/stock value of a CEO/Owner coming out in this fashion and purposely "joking" or demonstrating negative results of new products? I just don't get it.

22. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Your probably right, it’s sad. I was hoping it was a joke!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think it was all legit until the broken glass stunt, which I think was for clicks, views, buzz,headlines, etc.
    Let’s face it, no one really cares if the glass could stop that. Not like any other mass production cars could do it. So he sacrificed a meaningless feature to get more hype. Sounds like something Musk would do.

AshAP and tbakowsky like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  25. Scott4503

Scott4503 Rookie

Dec 1, 2014
    seattle
    Full Name:
    scott halliday
    Funny. You can make two mistakes simultaneously !
    Tesla will fall apart or be scrapped by better automaker. It’s mostly flash