Pista front number plate options. | FerrariChat

Pista front number plate options.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shadowfax, Jun 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Hi guys, with a number of Pista's now out in the traffic I was hoping to hear from owners how their dealer installed the front number plate on their cars?

of2worlds likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sorry no help here. Our state doesn’t have a front plate requirement.

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks socal you're very lucky bro. Love to wear no plate on the front......such a shame for some....like me.. ugh.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  4. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Stick it under the front lip........that’s what I did.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

PJxxx, JagShergill, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  5. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I owned many Exotics while I lived in Washington State which “requires” a front plate...I never put one on...but I kept the plate in the front boot. Most exotic car owners in Washington don’t put one on as it ruins the front aesthetics and for many exotics it hinders air flow for cooling and downforce. How many tickets did I get...zero in almost 30 years...and I only heard of one instance where a ticket was given and it included no front plate. Fortunately I now live in AZ and a front plate is not required here. Personally I wouldn’t put one on and test the waters...
    Of course if there is zero tolerance where you live and the temperament of the local police force is that negative then you may need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I do not put the front plate on even though it is required by law. Received one ticket in 5 years. Well worth it.

of2worlds, Shadowfax and Clay512TR like this.
  7. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    In Illinois. Got a ticket a couple years ago. Really depends on the officer and how close to quota he or she is. Refuse to put one on.

Clay512TR likes this.
  8. s313

s313 Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for the feedback guy's - appreciate it! At this stage I'm pursuing the carbonio mount and hope to have it asap. What intrigued me earlier on was seeing various Pista's - here and on other internet mediums - showing front number plates mounted on Pista's in a way which didn't spoil the look of the car. If I didn't know better I would have said the plates were on brackets which had been fixed to the car as a factory type install.
    Any photos of your Pista's with the carbonio plate holder is always appreciated. Regards SF.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Let us know how it goes, matey.

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have no comment on the front plate option as where I live doesn’t require it but hot damn that color combo looks great! Spectacular!

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very similar to this spec where the white part of the stripe is changed to silver instead!

TomC9786 and Shadowfax like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #14 Shadowfax, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Thought i'd just do a follow up here to say the Carbonio plate holder worked out relatively well so just wanted to show those interested what part of the car it actually holds on. This pic gives a pretty good idea. I've since adjusted it so it sits further in and up a bit higher as i found the wind forces was working away at it making it vulnerable to come off. The PPF with the hydrophobic also wasn't helping the clamping rubber buffers to grip enough. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use some mat finish tape to use as a bonding layer to the ppf so it sit between the rubbers to stop slip as at the moment I'm not confident there is enough grip going on to counter the wind force at speed.

MarkTodd likes this.
  14. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    What attaches to the car? Basically suction cups?
    No permanently affixed mounting bracket?

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    There's a rectangular plate running along underneath the opposing top angles that has two hand tightening dials which keep the pressure onto that section of CF..

C50 likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Shoot I don't even have a mounting plate for my rear tag. I will be using 2 - sided tape vs. drilling holes for a bracket.

17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Since I follow the law in my state requiring a front plate I used the carbonio plate holder and ran a couple of zip ties through the grill which stabilize it further since the carbonio is rated only up to 100 mph.
    Cannot be seen at all and doesn’t touch any painted part

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    I wonder how many tickets I’d have to pay to reach $495.

19. hanz

hanz Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2014
    I just use double sided sticky tape, looks a lot cleaner

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good question. May be the more viable option.

If you’re talking about the rear this is how the plate is attached but on the front its still not legal as it is supposed to be vertical to be viewed properly.

21. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Another option I used on my 458 Spider
    I used 3M Velcro pads (Amazon) which are super sticky and the adhesive won’t melt under heat. I used black along the upper edge of the plate under the bumper edge which is black btw and a clear on the silver horse trimmed to shape. Totally invisible with the plate off and very stable on
    As for tickets, in NY the minimum for no plate starts at $175. And if pulled over for any infraction it is the first thing the officer looks at- no front plate- add another $175 to the bill

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat