Will I fit in a 488GTB coupe with racing seats? | FerrariChat

Will I fit in a 488GTB coupe with racing seats?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Anthony555, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony555

Anthony555 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony Altieri
    Hi everyone,

I found a 2017 488GTB with 2,000 miles that I am interested in buying. It has the CF racing seats. How tight will it be for 6' 1" and 300lbs? Am I kidding myself? Not a daily driver. Maybe a 1500-2000 mile a year car.

--Anthony

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Anthony,

Carbon fiber racing seats come in different sizes. The car you’re interested in... Is there a way to know what size seats it has?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

docf likes this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    IMO you gotta try em out for yourself before buying

I personally love them and would not own a modern Ferrari without them, but I bet there are others who would say the opposite. They are very rigid, with snug bolstering to keep you in place. I find them to be extremely comfortable and supportive, just did 7 hrs in them in a single day, but my build is different from yours. I'm worried it would be tight for you

Hopefully there is a 488 with race seats or Ferrari dealer close to you with a model that has them to try out, if I'm not mistaken 458/488/812/F12 share the race seats?

docf and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Amen to that, my friend.

Most of my friends who wanted carbon fiber racing seats but were afraid if they’d fit in, found themselves for the most part very comfortably seated. The ones who changed their minds did so on account of comfort issues (back problems, preference for electric adjustment, etc), not because they weren’t able to find the right racing seat size for them, felt squeezed or otherwise uncomfortable, etc.

But it is essential imvho to try the seats out, either with sample seats at your local official Ferrari dealer, or in a car with similar size seats to the one you’re interested in.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

docf and sampelligrino like this.
  5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Anthony, if you give me the last 6 of the VIN and I can tell you what sized seats came with the car. You actually will have more room with the racing seat versus the standard seat as the racing seat is much thinner.

6. Anthony555

Anthony555 Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony Altieri
    Hi,

Here is the VIN:217980

--Anthony

7. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Are you sure that is the correct last 6 of the VIN? If so the car originally came with electric Daytona Seats. Is it Rosso Corsa over Nero? I googled the whole VIN and see where the car is for sale and it has electic daytona seats.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If Anthony really likes the car, I guess he can change seats after purchase, but my guess it will be an expensive hassle. Easier to keep looking and find another car. No shortage of them out there.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. Graham PM

Graham PM Rookie

Aug 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Graham Marginson
    I'm 6'2" and each of previous 458's and current 488 have had the carbon racing seats. When I tried a car with the standard seats, my head rubbed the roof lining!
    I don't fit inside any of the Spiders with the roof up due to the reinforcing roof rail - I'm obviously 'long' in the body!
    Graham

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    At 1500 miles a year just buy it. You wont be spending enough time in it to get too uncomfortable anyway so....no....you are not kidding yourself. You obviously like it. Approval is not necessary.

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The difference in the width of racing seats, as I understand it, is 10 mm. So going from a small to a large is 20 mm or 0.78". Not much of a difference at all. I'm 6'0" / 175 lb. and fit very comfortably in the large size seats. I did get the seat lifter which provides height change adjustments; nice for long drives.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    6’1” 185 large seats in spider and fit perfectly. IMO you need to try first due to narrow width relative to your size.
    I found the leg support to be lacking however for more than an hour of driving vs Daytona in my first 458.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    6’4” 220 and I fit just fine in the 488 with Goldrake seats.

Viperjoe likes this.
  14. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    6'3" 225 and i have issues with pinching along chest with race seats. Love standard seats and have no issues with height, more in my legs i guess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #15 AlfistaPortoghese, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Gentlemen, are you all NBA players? :D

I’m 5’10”, you’re marking me feel like a midget!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I just LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    6’6” 260lbs
    For me racing seats are the only way to go. They seem to get me just a little lower, thereby freeing up additional headroom. My personal Ferrari is a 812, but I have sat/driven/road in plenty of 488’s too. As mentioned before, do try them for yourself. Everyone has both different dimensions and different concepts of comfort.

18. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    6’1” 195lbs - large racing seats in a 458 spider. I wouldn’t own one without the racing seats. I am very comfortable although if you plan to track it at all I have a very hard time fitting in the car with a helmet on. I have to adjust my posture and slouch a little to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    6’5” and 245 (was 278 last year) and large gold rake fit nicely. A little tight in the shoulder area though for me. Hopefully you’re in a large enough market to go sit in several different seats. With your height the Daytona’s could feel good.

20. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Spider has less headroom for sure.

21. Frank white

Frank white Rookie

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Frank leatardo white
    6’3 270 large racing seats in my 19 488 grab are fine. No worries! Good luck

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So I'm the same general size as you are and don't have any experience with a 488, but went through the same thing when I recently tried out a number of 2018 GT3s both with and without sport seats.....getting in? Kind of a hassle but OK......once in? No problems, felt good....getting out? ugh to the Nth degree. I finally decided I would probably use the car less than intended because of the hassle of ingress/egress.