Keep my 911 and get a F12 or go all the way with an 812? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Keep my 911 and get a F12 or go all the way with an 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 96redLT4, Aug 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would keep the M4 and get the F12 or 812.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't live in a town like yours, but I honestly think you're overthinking it. Yes, some, not all, may have a thought or two about your new Ferrari, and? If you're generally a nice guy and they know you're not in the habit of showing off and acting stupid, it will die down fast. I suspect that most of the people you associate with and those who's opinion actually matters, already understand that you're doing well.

Travelling the world, what I have found is this. A Porsche or your M4 can quickly be a much more sore spot for many others than a Ferrari. There will always be those who scoff at Ferrari drivers, and it's mostly due to their own issues. Jealousy is a cruel mistress. But I've experienced people being much more upset about cars that are expensive, but still much more attainable. When you have the Ferrari, there's no doubt that you are probably doing something right and are good at something - unless you look like an 18 year old trust fund baby, which I suspect you don't:D

But the Porsche and BMW M cars have a tendency to not only convey a "smartass" mid life crisis kind of thing, but some also are quick to think, "I'm sure he financed the hell out of that just to be able to show off". These are not assumptions mind you. This is what I've actually heard people say - both here in Europe, but also overseas. Once something is only just out of reach, that's when it becomes the biggest issue. If it's well out of reach, people are often quick to forget about it.

At the end of the day, I'm sure you'll find Ferrari ownership and pleasant and fun experience, and the less you seem awkward about it, the less awkward your surroundings will find it.

If you're getting to a point where it's a question about having your wifes car, your M4 and then either an F12 or 812, I'd say get the 812. Yes it will cost you more, but at the same time, if you get rid of the Porsche anyway, I see no point in not getting the best of them.

Have you talked to your dealer about doing a real back to back test? Have each car for say two hours, with say 30 min espresso break in between. That will tell you quite well what these two cars have to offer. The better value is directly proportional to the enjoyment the car gives you.

3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    totally agree and you gave it even more thought than I did. Also great advice even for myself. There are for sure huge pluses, pros, benefits, enjoyment, fun to be had when you become a Ferrari owner. It is such a surreal and cool feeling, a dream for many including myself

Never observed your thoughts about Porsches here in LA, on the contrary it's a close knit group of lots of people who mod their cars or drive to the canyons, do PCA meets, very enthusiast oriented things etc... feels like Porsche has the biggest fan base in the world here in LA with probably 10 dealers, an Experience Center, a 911 on every street, they even launched 992 worldwide here

I just wanted to point out one potential negative (if it should even be called that) that might be overlooked - quite a bit of attention (again most of it very friendly and innocent), as I had somehow overlooked it myself in the sheer excitement of waiting for my car to arrive

As an example to that point, I could have only one car, a single car, it wouldn't be an Fcar. It would be a 911. But if I could have two cars (or more), God willing one would be from Maranello and that's why I feel fortunate to have both!

scuderia-seat and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. francescaoscar

Jun 11, 2014
    Uk
    I had an F12 for 2 years but lucky enough to get an 812 a couple of months month ago. I loved the F12 but I really think the 812 is a substantial step up. It is an amazing car. Most things have been improved by a relatively small amount but somehow they add up to a big overall difference. 4wheel Steering, gear changes, engine all very noticeably improved. As for cost you are comparing new car prices against older cars - your going to pay more. Bottom line though as others have said - take one out for a drive and try it yourself. Be warned though, you will buy it if you do.

Thecadster, DRYHOLE and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    True wisdom!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Interesting points brought up by A.B on "smartass" mid life crisis, and it being a problem when it it is "only just out of reach"

Your concern can still be valid on how others will view it. I'm probably being overly-paranoid, but this is the way I see it on driving an exotic to work:
    -If you are employed, your employer will probably think they've overpaid you.
    -If you own your own business/practice, your employees/clients/patients will probably think you have underpaid/overcharged them.
    As a result, I mostly bike to work (and luckily live close enough to do so). However, I still log over 10K miles per year on the Fcar via my trips.

7. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Does your town have a local Ferrari dealership? Are there others in your town with an 812? If the answer is yes, then it should be acceptable to get one. However, wouldn't moving up the in the Porsche world be more interesting considering your background? i.e. 997 GT3 RS 4.0, 991 R if you can only have one fun car.

8. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    One car, no matter how good, cannot provide the same experience as 2, even if it is better in every way than both the others. It just can't. Two cars always offer 2 experiences. Like the placement of the engine: there is something special about having the engine behind you. It doesn't matter how special the engine is, if it's in front, it's different. Or taking your kids along; they aren't going to know or care about the feel of 4 wheel steer.
    I am clearly getting old, but an F12 has way more performance than I would ever exploit (or that any of you should, no matter your skill) on the road.

If you have the coin, the 812 is clearly the better car than the F12. But if the choice is a solid 911 and an F12 vs an 812 only, the newer Ferrari would literally need a flux capacitor to offer more real-world experience than the pair.

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  9. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I own a lot of 911s and a few Ferrari's...F12 and 911 are my vote...I love the F12 and frankly much prefer the looks over the 812 and you can't live this life without at least one 911 in the garage.

sampelligrino and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No local Ferrari dealer and no, I have never seen an 812 around here. I saw my first and only F12 in San Luis Obispo last week. I could stay within the Porsche food chain. That would certainly be a safer and more logical choice, but moving to a GT or even an R seems so much less exciting than a V12 Ferrari if you already own a modern Porsche:) Thanks everyone for the continued comments.

Way2fast likes this.
  11. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The closest Porsche dealer to SLO is 90 mins away. Since there's a local MB dealer, maybe a SLR or SLS BS is a more convenient choice.

Way2fast likes this.
  12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I live in Santa Maria near SLO and there are several Ferraris in town. I have a 2012 FF for a daily driver

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

13. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    PM Sent

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    From the responses, I wonder if any of the F12 converts to 812 have ever driven a properly setup F12. As suggested a set of springs and other targeted and easily reversible suspension changes will quickly close the suspension gap between the two.

To the OP, when the 812 SV comes out and with all the other newer models coming on line (especially the 812 GTS), the non PF 812 with the same chassis will follow the value path of the F12 pretty quickly and likely less value over time so buy the one you are most happy to live with. I found the biggest difference between the two was the lower gearing and the Speciale brakes as I had expected. It all felt a little more newer and I could feel the tune/hp change but could not handle the looks from any angle and favor the divine interior of the F12. Someone said it right - its about your smile.

Any version of that platform from the F12B to the one offs to the F60 to now the Monza is quite special.

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 812 has so many hardware and software changes that it can never be the same. Like it or not, development is ruthless.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I very much welcome and seek development so not an aspiring vintage collector. Also aware of the preference of owning the latest version of the same series comes with the need to set far distinctions to help justify the effort. :)

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    All these cars are amazing, but I don't think tha anyone doubts that the 812 is much better resolved, driving-wise.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Another take & consideration - my driving of my 911 has been relegated sadly to mostly mundane daily driver errands, with the addition of the 488

So depending on how much time and incentive you have, two sports cars could be overkill unless you really enjoy both for what they are. I need a daily driver, and love my 911, so my 911 isn't going anywhere, but when it comes time for a fun drive I know which key I am grabbing FWIW

96redLT4 likes this.