Start up issue | FerrariChat

Start up issue

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by decardona, Aug 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Went to take my car out for an afternoon drive. When I went to start it, nothing. All the dash lights came on, you can hear the fuel pump going but no ignition. After trying a couple of more times, I waited about 5 minutes and then it fired up. Took a shorter drive than expected, and when I returned home, parked, shut down and waited a minute or so and tried starting up. It was fine. Then waited an hour, went out and it started no problem. My first thought is an ignition relay gone bad? Anyone else ever have this happen? Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There is no "ignition relay" on a 1988 Mondial 3.2.

Please clarify your description of the problem -- do you mean:

1. You put the key in Pos III (start) and the dash instruments/alt light wake up, but the starter does nothing, or

2. You put the key in Pos III (start) and the starter does spin the engine, but you have no ignition spark?

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    The first one. When I turn the key to start there was nothing. Then after some tries and waiting about 5 minutes, it fired up.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The good news is that your typically flaky fuse-relay panel is not involved ;)

Has to be something in the food chain:
    ignition switch terminal 50 (a large white wire)
    to C1 connector (LH side of instrument panel)
    to C4 connector (LH side of engine bay)
    to starter solenoid terminal 50

Either a bad connection or one of those components is bad (assuming you don't have some sort of aftermarket alarm/immobilizer installed in that chain). Good Hunting!

5. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Will check and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Connect a multi meter to the starter solenoid positive terminal, then try starting. See if the 12 volts is there. If not trace the connections back to the key etc.
    I can send you a copy of the wiring diagram if you need it

7. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    That diagram would be great. Thanks.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I seem to recall the same in the past. And if I remember correctly the battery was starting to go bad.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    An e mail address might help
    These cars suffer from the loss of the 12 volt signal to the starter solenoid, you can buy a relay kit to fit which will cure this.

10. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Wade, I replaced the battery about a year ago. Hope it hasn't gone bad that quickly.

Mike, I'll check all the usual places and ask about a relay kit. Hopefully I can get to it over the next week or so. Also, I sent you my email in regard to the diagram you mentioned. Thanks again guys for all the great info.

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    One of the coils of me had a bad connection between coil and distributor....aldo there is no direct connection between starting and the coils, this whas my problem that the car would not start.
    Guido

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get a volts reading from the starter solenoid first

13. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I'll be sure to check that. Thanks again for the wiring diagram. I'm sure it will come in handy.

14. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Hi Dennis- I am in PA as well. I'm sure your issue is one of the other things being suggested, rather than my simple issue. I don't get to drive my Mondial as often as I'd like, but I do enjoy it in the garage visually each day. I keep a Battery Tender on my classic US musclecar and I just need to pick up a second one for the Mondial. On rare occasion if I haven't started the Mondial in a while it will do exactly what you encountered. Then I'll hook up the Battery Tender until it is lit up green and there are no further starting issues. I try to get the car out every other week in good weather, but in truth it ends up not being that often. This is a well-sorted car with the fuse panel taken care of and the smaller fuse panel installed beside the main one. AC with R-12 works great and nothing electrical overheats. No other issues in the close to two years I have owned it. Ferrarichat member Chris Warren was the prior owner, and the car went round trip TX to PA back in 2013 for Mondialpalooza (some might remember that).

15. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I was hoping that having it hooked up to a charger would be the answer when it first happened but that didn't solve it.