Comparing my 458 to my 570GT McLaren | FerrariChat

Comparing my 458 to my 570GT McLaren

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PRO SYSTEMS, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    The wife and I have been taking both of these cars to car shows for awhile, now it comes down to her and I wanting to ride together... so we've found the McLaren (her car) just sits and sits.

When you compare the two cars, you really have to wonder why the McLaren sits. Its a stunning beauty.

Its the 570GT... yup. Man those are the ones.. with the smooth rear glass and shape it has to be the most beautiful car McLaren has ever made. I dont think they've topped it yet.

Its crazy fast, much faster than my 2013 458. The transmission has a fantastic feel, as does the steering. The car drives like an Indy car, its not forgiving when you want to throw it around, so be fast with the wheel. Its not an entry level performance car, you need quick reflexes with this one. Similar to my ACR. BUT fortunately it has nanny aids that will keep you from losing it, but they are real intrusive so if they do come on, you know it and you won't look cool to the person in the passenger seat... so know what you are doing and you will scare the H#LL out of anyone in that car.

The 458 is on the other end of the spectrum. Its smooth, its forgiving, you can throw it around and you don't even need to get the revs up. The transmission when in Race mode is perfection. BUT in Sport mode, the shifts are soooo long that you are just annoyed (sure its only milliseconds longer... but just too many more as compared to Race mode).

The sound the McLaren makes under boost is amazing as it echoes across the fields, the 458 has the same harmony and although I've only taken my 458 to Redline on 3 shifts 2-3-4 just to hear it one time. I shift it at 6500 rpms and thats enough for me. The 458 has a fantastic growl at 2500-3500 rpms that nothing can replace and I just enjoy that.

My 458 has the carbon seats and I think they sit a bit too low (they are adjustable, but it may leave a mark on the metal, So I leave them) OR the steering wheel needs to come down a little more as it rolls away from you when you turn for a corner. But there is not enough adjustment for that to happen in the column.

The McLaren steering wheel to me is too thin and should have a meatier feel, but its placement can be adjusted infinitely and is dead on.

Braking on both cars is excellent, the feel of the 458 when things get a little out of hand is definitely the dominant of the two. You can take a 458 to its limit of adhesion and its very forgiving. The stereo on the 458 is awful, the brakes are squeaky, the McLaren, killer stereo and quiet brakes.

Performance, the McLaren kills the 458, just kills it... but thats only on the street. If we were going to a race track or racing in the rain, the 458 would easily be the winner as the 458 can be driven to its limit without worry of a terrifying spin that could total the car.

Ive owned the Mclaren for going on 3 years now with ZERO issues. Oops, had one bad tire, that McLaren paid for.... defect of some sort.

Ive owned the Ferrari for over a year, had one EGR solenoid valve stick, easy 5 minute fix. Put vacuum on it, rapped it and it opened. Sprayed it with some lube, never happened again.

So all in all, each car has its advantages, but honestly I truly can't decide which car is better... its like comparing Steak and Cake. Each has major advantages and no real disadvantages. Each has proven very reliable and incredibly fun to drive, the 570GT can be terrifyingly fast... that boost comes on and you better be ready... the 458 is a racers car for someone that appreciates a car that really turns in proper and exits a corner properly.

So if I had to decide on one, the 458 is what to keep, its destined to be a classic and has advantages that work for me, but I would sure miss the sleek lines of the 570GT and those wild doors and the sound of the boost emanating from the back.... and the crazy G-forces it pulls on acceleration.

Neither car truly out does the other. Both are affordable (as far as exotic cars go) and reliable and certainly great looking... So deciding between these two is an impossibility.. and I guess thats a good thing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, Carnut, Andynyc and 6 others like this.
  2. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks and perfectly timed, as I am considering a McLaren as well. Really don;t want to trade the 458, so I am weighing all my options like new vs. used and which model. Started with my eyes on the 600LT, but now am reconsidering. Maybe an MP4-12C would be a better way to get into the fold?

3. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is the choice, that most people want to have to face.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    excellent post, really appreciate you taking the time to talk about both cars.
    Thanks again!

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just on looks alone, performance and handling aside.........

Your 458 is drop dead gorgeous. To use a Clarkson-ism, “bite the back of your hand gorgeous.” I’d keep that one.

But then again, if the decision goes the other way, let’s have a chat. :)

PhilNotHill likes this.
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very thoughtful post, interesting, thank you.

I was asked by a friend recently to justify a statement I made when comparing a 570S, which I was reviewing, with my own gated 430. The 430 has even more of a generation gap of course. I said the 570 is a much better car but the Ferrari has more soul and that’s the car I would keep. He challenged me about what “soul” means in that context. I couldn’t really answer, and I like the way you have addressed your own comparison without resorting to a vague term like I did. I just ended up saying the Mclaren feels technically brilliant while the Ferrari feels like it was made with passion, which is impossible to prove..

PhilNotHill likes this.
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't see a real conclusion why the McLaren just sits and sits. Poor visibility in street traffic, bad gas mileage:D, or ????

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Im sad for you that you don't redline your 458 more. It can handle it, use the car as intended. That being said, you have a VERY VERY beautiful spec'd 458! As for the 570, yeah, faster etc but no soul like a 458.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Mclaren is addressing the lack of Soul issue in their new offerings.
    Its a 12,000 dollar option good for 4 years.
    One can extend the plan for 5,000 per year up to 10 years.
    After that it loses its Soul.
    There is talk of extending the program.

Il Tifoso, kes7u, DIGMAN52 and 2 others like this.
  10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Which car do you find gets more attention when you drive it?

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    For me soul is 9,000 rpms and no turbo lag. Plus the interior is not nearly as plush as my 458.

This would get more viewers in the 458 section.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  12. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I would keep both . I have a 458 and am looking at the McLaren also although it doesn't have any soul in my world . The really good thing is the way McLarens drop like rocks it might be attainable sooner than I thought .
    You did a great write up by the way but if nothing broke on the McLaren in 3 years we may have to rename you Pinnochio LOL !!!!!

13. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    Yea so far the McLaren has just been flawless. We don't even plug it in. Just go out in the garage whenever you want to drive it, start it up (wait until the lights say green) and go.

The 458 I plug in (I was told to, so I do). Its tough to tell what gets more attention, I think the younger kids like the McLaren and the purists like the 458.

But my neighbor likes the 458 the best... I met him when, heres this guy walking quickly outside still in his socks to stop me and the wife driving (a bit loudly) through the neighbor in tandem. Her in the McLaren and me in the 458. Thinking we were in trouble until I saw who it was... he then defaced my engine bay... now the young kids just see someone signed it and us old guys know who this actually is.. LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Wow thats cool !
    I didnt know Rubens had a plce in Florida.

15. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    I don't recognize the face, who is your neighbor and why was he worthy to deface your carbon fiber?

16. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    He was one part of a dynamic duo

17. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    Il Tifoso and G. Pepper like this.
  18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Plugging in the tender extends battery life.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I wont get into the whole soul thing (I think everyone knows what I think about that), but I have been offered a 570GT at an unusually good price and I am considering buying it. My issue is the doors, I am not a fan, but at the price I can buy the things for, it might be worth the PIA door design.

20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    SO COOL!!!!!

Kevin