Ferrari 599 F1 to MT Conversion | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 F1 to MT Conversion

Discussion in '612/599' started by SAFE4NOW, Jan 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's already been done and it gets easier each time. The part only has to be entered into the computer once, and then you can machine as many copies as you want. Used to be you'd have to change the ECU's, but now they can be reflashed, so that's a big deal too. It is a known process that is duplicatable.

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ok, if it is EAG, then they’ve not done a 599 or a 612 yet. And virtually all the parts are different on the 430 anyway.

Also, the 430 scud isn’t fully working (Art- correct me if I’m wrong), as the manetino isn’t functional.

When everything (mainly talking the coding side of things) is figured out, yes, it’s fairly easy. Until then, it’s anything but easy. If you don’t think that’s true, then you don’t understand the problem fully.

3. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    They aren't the only ones doing this. It is pretty simple, but not cheap. I wish I could recall the conversion cars that were sold, but I can't. I understand the process as I looked into doing a 612.

The 360 is easiest, as you just need the linkage hardware, the right ECU's, a pedal, and the right plates for the transmission housing. There are tons of salvage 360's so almost a cakewalk.

I'm least familiar with the CS manual, as I have zero interest, but the manetino seems like it would be an expected change, not a problem.

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Do you know of someone who scanned or copied the 612 parts?

5. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I seem to recall that having been done, but I can't remember where I read it. I've been thinking more about a C8 than a 612, so I'm not current. The pieces that needed to be machined were few, the largest one was the clutch pedal (Two parts and three or four screws I think), the other main piece was the housing that the gate is on and the shifter is in. I recall seeing photos! Some parts were interchangeable with the 360. The ECU's used to be the main snag, but that is evidently not the case anymore, or it will soon be solved. 360trev is working on it, but there was someone else. A 612 was done, so maybe search the 599/612 forum. I asked EAG if they could do a 612 some months ago, and they indicated that they could. It would sure be simpler than the manual CS, which had a lot of issues to solve.

6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I know they've been done but that was before there was a huge demand for conversion parts. Manual 612/599 parts are virtually impossible to find so unless they've scanned an existing set it'll be quite difficult. The manual parts are not the same between a 360 and 612, maybe there are some that can be used but as far as I know, the most important parts are completely different.

7. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It has been done. You keep bringing up the same point, and it is a non issue now. Go do your own searches and figure it out for yourself. I'm done here.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Be careful European Auto Group and Art Bartosik. Do your own research, just my personal experience tried to underhandedly create an alias, spam our board, and then when we moderated him accused us of being unprofessional. To me that is just insight into his personal ethics and morals.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  9. Terry Du

Terry Du Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Terry Du
  10. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    All,

Any updates on Manual Conversions for the 599 GTB?

I am considering having the conversion done since the 6spd MT has always been an interest and I have had a 10K mile pristine 599 for about 6 or 7 years.

The information that I am hearing is that the converted cars are a much better driving experience. Any one have one that works right or has the experience with the problems that will arise?

Any information or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Jack,

In my personal experience, programming of the various control units will be the most difficult stage of the entire process.

Waiting on OEM parts would be a close second, so get your parts together before starting the project.
    ( I guess this applies no matter what parts you use )

When done correctly, it changes the entire driving dynamic. There is a lot of power on tap, so get your gear selected and get both hands back on the steering wheel asap!

Enjoy!

Steve

Bas and brogenville like this.
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

3+ years later and its still on the road, driven regularly from what I am told! No significant issues outside of regular servicing!

Steve

brogenville likes this.
  13. Ff 660

Ff 660 Rookie

Jun 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jim mitanis
    Hi Steve, I have been collecting parts for my own conversion and I now have everything except for the brake fluid tank part # 219312
    Do you have a contact where to get one? or did you use the F1 one and tap in the extra hose? I have been told after waiting for 18 months from the factory that "Sorry will have to refund you, no longer available"

Thanks Jim

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hi Jim, I would just plastic weld on a new outlet. Others have done this. I can share some photos showing where it needs to go if you want?

15. Ff 660

Ff 660 Rookie

Jun 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jim mitanis
    Thanks Robin if you can post a picture of the position that will help

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Here ya go. Almost looks like Ferrari may have just fused in the new outlet too. Key thing is that it sits quite high up, so that a leak on the clutch system wouldnt affect the brake system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Ff 660

Ff 660 Rookie

Jun 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jim mitanis
    Thank you