Euro 308 body structure | FerrariChat

Euro 308 body structure

Discussion in '308/328' started by DonB, Aug 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    The height of the trunk in a Euro car is different from that of a U.S. car (U.S. car is shorter by almost 3"). Would anyone know if it is because the body structure is different, or is it because there's a thick layer of insulation in the U.S. car, to protect the trunk from the heat from from the catalytic converters. Specifically a 1979 GTB.

By height I mean the distance from the bottom of the trunk in the center section to the zippered cover.

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I believe it is the latter. The US cars have insulation in the bottom of the trunk to protect the area from heat from the Cat converter.

308 milano likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Trick question - the height of the trunk is different because of the catalytic converter clearance, BUT the body structure is different as well - the frame tubes aft of the rear suspension that brace the rear body structure and bumper are thicker and heavier on the US 308s.

4. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    So does that mean that the steel floor of the U.S. trunk physically sits higher than a Euro model thus making the height less?

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Yes. The cat cars have several layers of fibreglass, rock wool and steel plate so a few inches less height inside the trunk. I would guess 10-15cm less.

6. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    Are pre cat US cars the same as euro cars?

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The same trunk height? (I don't know), or the same rear frame structure supporting the rear bumper? I also don't know for certain, but I would guess that the pre-cat US cars, with the heavier longer bumpers, would have the stronger thicker frame structure vs. the thinner, lighter Euro frame structure as in the QVs.