2019 Indy Car | Page 22 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What a finish. Newgarden pulls the bonehead move of the race.​

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    If you had suggested this would be the podium three hours ago, I would have said pass the wacky-tobacky!

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what a crazy race.

gotta love IndyCars on a short oval :)

Nortonious likes this.
  4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I agree. Bring back Milwaukee.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Completely missed it. I probably should've have skipped that horrible Gators game and caught IndyCar...

6. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    That race was insane. Sato, Carpenter and Kanaan on the podium. What?

pilotoCS and Nortonious like this.
  7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    SPECTACULAR race. Wow!

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Let me guess: The next two races will be on NBC?
    Figures.
    I switched to Dish when DirecTV blacked out the last several months of Indycar.
    Now Meredith Corp has taken a bunch of local channels off Dish -- including the local NBC affiliate.
    (I'd be happy to replace the Nashville NBC with the Knoxville NBC, as I'm about midway between the two.)
    (Too far for either, OTA.)

But how weird is it to be able to get NBCSN and not NBC?

9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I initially thought that too. However, after listening to Newgarden and Ferrucci’s post-race interviews, that’s not what actually happened. It wasn’t shades of the last lap of Mid-Ohio after all - - at Gateway, Newgarden was actually taking avoiding action.

Jack-the-lad and 375+ like this.
  10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Wild race, crazy finish. Those marbles on the high line really made things interesting.

Two races to go and as much as I like a good oval race, I'm ready for PIR and Laguna Seca. Things are still somewhat close. Hoping Rossi (and even Pagenaud and Dixon) can narrow the gap in Portland to set up an exciting finale. With the double-points scoring it just might be 3 or 4 drivers in contention to the end. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I know attendance figures for Indycar are sort of a joke, especially on ovals outside of Indy as filling a bowl with 100,000 are days gone by even for NASCAR. Well news came out they had 42,000 fans for the race this past weekend. An improvement of 35% over last year. The trends continue to move forward for Indycar, so nothing wrong with that.

ryanro24, Nortonious and GuyIncognito like this.
  12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    race sponsor (Bommaritto, a local car dealership chain) and track sponsor WorldWide Technologies do a great job of promotion in STL. Also do a great job of buying tickets to give away as employee and customer incentives ;)

still, great to see a big crowd. I went to the first 3-4 years of Champ Car races at Gateway, and the crowds seemed to drop 25% each year :(

I'll say it again, IndyCar on a short oval is unlike anything else in motorsport. they need more of it.

13. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    https://autoweek.com/article/indycar/santino-ferrucci-has-no-regrets-over-behavioral-incidents-focused-indycar-success

He's been performing well, but let's see if the old Ferrucci comes out when things aren't going so well for a period of time.

Bell in one of the last two races went so far to imply that what was said about Ferrucci was fake or a smear campaign. Diffey had to remind him that he was kicked out of the series over his actions.

14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Agreed. It's easy to forget that they're still going 140-160mph in that corner and are back to full throttle at the spot where Ferrucci came down. To immediately let off the gas and slam on the brakes would likely result in a spin/crash so he tried taking action to avoid him.

That said, I'm not heartbroken over him losing a few points going into the last races of the season.

15. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    It would seem that most young drivers in this series have very little patience. Regardless of who, sooner or later the "big one" is going to come and with it a whole lot of damage will occur. This guy is one of many. ICS needs to get a handle on it before something bad really happens. Ar least this guy has Pancho Carter in his camp. He knows how to drive ovals and may be able to teach this young man the art of it.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "this guy has Pancho Carter in his camp. He knows how to drive ovals and may be able to teach this young man the art of it . . "

I think he already has. This kid has left his past behind him. He's earned the accolades he's currently getting.

375+ likes this.
  17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You know things are bad when Diffey is the voice of reason. Haha!

Important to remember that Ferrucci is only 21 and on his first full season on the Indy Car
    circuit.

Out of the crop of this year's rookies including Herta, Ericsson and Rosenqvist, Ferrucci has
    put in the most consistent performances when it seemed Rosenqvist would make the biggest
    splash at the start of the year, the results are lacking and even though Herta came through to
    an impressive win at COTA, he's also had some bad luck along the way.

ROY points are tight between Ferrucci and Rosenqvist and should go down to the finale at
    Laguna Seca. Should be fun to watch.

https://racer.com/2019/08/26/miller-indycars-2019-surprise-package/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

BHW

375+ likes this.
  18. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    There was a good Marshall Pruett podcast the week after Pocono where he interviewed Ferrucci and asked him about the F2 issues. I thought it was a fair approach and Santino came across as genuine and didn't seem to duck the controversy.

I find it pleasant to see these young guys like Herta and Ferrucci clearly seeming to have fun finding themselves performing well in their rookie years. Some of the Carter to Ferrucci radio has been entertaining. Of course, I also like the joy Verstappen seems to be having as the underdog challenger when things go right and he can really race. Lots of good young talent in F1 and IndyCar these days. Different parameters but good top level racing in both, in my opinion.

RWatters, pilotoCS and 375+ like this.
  19. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Agreed. It's wonderful to see so much young talent in both series currently.

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Let us see if it sticks. I am all for the kid, but I do not wish to see a repeat performance. Some do come unwound after a little success. Hoping he continues with a cool head.

375+ likes this.
  21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. Talent before checkbook. I much prefer talent.

22. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I must say I've taken a liking to the IndyCar qualifying format. Great fun going on right now in Portland.

ryanro24 likes this.
  24. Eh.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gimme best time from however many practice sessions...sort of mini races throughout the weekend. Usually (key word) the best time is generated in the last session anyway (as the cars have been sorted thru the other sessions) so it could still be televised for non-attendees. 'Makes all sessions that much more important (like I said, usually re: the last) for teams and spectators alike as later sessions (or, as in present only Q session), might not go as planned (rain, wrecks, whatever...). ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    works for me. or, I dunno, how about a 30 minute open qualifying session? seemed to work reasonably well for decades...

now, IndyCar and F1 qualifying broadcast is the same length as the race. I don't get it.

lorenzobandini likes this.